Old car friendly states?

I've been living overseas for about 8 years now but expect to return to the USA in a couple of years, hopefully to retire and take up my old car hobby once again. I look forward to getting my 1932 Chev and many parts out of storage and bringing it back to life. Seems like new legislation is quite tough in many area and I don't want a constant hassle with bylaws and codes just to work on an old car or two on my own property.

I'd prefer to be within an hour or so of a city and since I don't own property now, I'd consider most anywhere but prefer a warmer state than Michigan (where I last lived) as cold weather is not fun for me anymore.

I'd appreciate any comments on friendly states or counties for the old car hobby and maybe tips on getting along with current regulations without being miles from any neighbors.

Well, Illinois where I am is not bad for old cars, but the climate would be similar to Michigan. If you like country living at relatively low cost south central Illinois offers:

3% State income tax (for now, at least)

6.25% State sales tax

No emissions or annual inspection (except in some Chicago area counties)

Very low cost Antique license plates and no annual tax or fees on cars

Guest sonny

Albuquerque,N.M. Here last 26 yrs. it is VERY old car and old "body" friendly. Have my '32 Chevrolet out almost every day here.

I guess I should suggest North Carolina. Very active AACA Regions and Chapters, some nice old car friendly state laws, and you can avoid snow if you choose the right area. To totally avoid the snow, you might have to experience some humidity.

Virginia has historically been old-car-friendly (as long as we can keep a certain state legislator engaged doing other things:rolleyes:). One-time antique license plate fee which car qualifies for at 25 years old, exemptions for property tax and safety/emissions inspections, and like NC, plenty of old car related things to do. Plus the people are for the most part very friendly and welcoming. Plenty of open undeveloped land still available if you're a country or small-town type, and there are enough mid-size and large cities that you can find about anything you'd want.

Central, Southern and Tidewater Virginia have very mild climates without a lot of harsh winter. It has been plenty hot (98) here the last few days, but low-90s are usually the extent of hot.

Most localities are pretty reasonable on their real estate assessments and tax values too. Northern VA would be the exception there. It is ungodly expensive to live in that part of the state.

Guest Kingoftheroad

Arizona is good, cheap tags & insurance for the oldies, no emission testing on '66 & older cars. You can work on & paint cars here without trouble. Cars last forever here....

• 2 weeks later...

Wisconsin is a good state for older cars. All of our back roads are paved with very little, if any traffic and good scenery. License is $75 , one fee as long as you own the vehicle. We take many one day picnic trips in our 1916 Peerless.

We do have winter though but we don't have to worry about mosquito's and bugs then. I also restore ice boats, we put the cars away in winter and sail our ice boats, 100 mph on ice with no brakes is a real thrill.

Guest 1hooligan

I agree with ARIZONA. Never had the slightest problem here (outside of Phoenix) with antique or classic cars. Hundreds of collectors in and around Prescott. I know of over 10,000

classics and hotrods in Yavapai county. They allow and encourage large garages.

• 2 weeks later...

az is my choice too... emissions testing is in phoenix and tucson areas only and applies to 1967 and newer (but, i've been told, if 1967 and newer vehicle has historical plates it is exempt from emissions test). standard tags for older cars are about $31.00 for two years. UPDATE: tags are now available for 5 years/$65. (for standard plate) and i've heard that if a 1967 and newer car with a standard plate (or personalized) has collector car insurance it is exempt from emissions testing.

Edited by mrspeedyt
clarification / update (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I agree about TAXIFORNIA... Just paid registration for one of my cars.. 108.00 for the 66 Mustang. It was about the same for my 64 Cad last month.. I have more than 20 cas active and insured... BIG BUCKS! AND if I want to take them out of active service I must STILL pay a fee for non-operation. If I dont pay the non-op, they fine me when i put it back on active status..

Oh, and if I park any cars on my driveway (private property) they must be registered... If on non-op they must be out of sight... However, they are not allowed to be sotred in your back yard if it is in a residential area....

Texas is friendly but it can get pretty hot down here. October through April are actually our nicest months in SE Texas (Houston and surrounding). Austin and surrounding is probably the nicest part of the state overall. No state income tax no inspections on old cars under one or two registration options.

But with the above said were I to move I would look seriously at the Nashville Tennessee area. Weather isn't bad and Nashville is within a day's drive of all manner of car events in the South and Midwest.

• 1 month later...

Just remember that living 20-30 miles outside the major metro area can often cut home prices by 25% or more. Not to mention you can often also find ACREAGE! for a garage, mini-farm, or other hobby.

After living 30 feet away from the adjoining houses for 24 years, I can attest to the country luxury of being able to pee off one's back porch if one so desires.

• 2 weeks later...

Louisiana is very old-car friendly. Permanent Antique tag is $25 - No required inspection if 40 or more years old (car, not driver), 8 local AACA Chapters of Louisiana Region, with local and state-wide activities almost every month. Home and insurance is cheaper, as is acreage north of I-10/I-12, with less potential damage from hurricane threat (but I still live south of there). We get to drive our old cars all year long.

Great food, great music, great history, museums, music, food (I really like music and food), a festival every weekend somewhere in Louisiana.

• 3 months later...

You might also try Alabama. A year or so ago The USA Today ran an article on the besy places to live with regard to climate, expense, freakish weather events etc. Nevada ranked first Alabama ranked 2nd. Alabama in my opinion is the friendliest old car state in the union. I would suggest some small towns outside Birmingham or Montgomery. $30 registration fee for a car 30 years or older, no ad-valorum tax on them, and antique car insurance is cheap for them. Best of all you can still find old farms or acreage to build your own. Come on down.

ALK

Guest Jim_Edwards
Albuquerque,N.M. Here last 26 yrs. it is VERY old car and old "body" friendly. Have my '32 Chevrolet out almost every day here.

I think that is mainly because the car clubs, even including low rider and street rodder clubs, in New Mexico have banded together in a coalition that has apparently developed considerable political clout. The coalition has been wise to create a serious associations with Historical preservation societies, increasing the political clout of both. If I recall correctly the car clubs in Arizona also have a coalition.

Car clubs everywhere would be wise to organize into state level coalitions as well as doing some serious shoulder rubbing with historical preservation societies.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Trickstar
You might also try Alabama. A year or so ago The USA Today ran an article on the besy places to live with regard to climate, expense, freakish weather events etc. Nevada ranked first Alabama ranked 2nd. Alabama in my opinion is the friendliest old car state in the union. I would suggest some small towns outside Birmingham or Montgomery. $30 registration fee for a car 30 years or older, no ad-valorum tax on them, and antique car insurance is cheap for them. Best of all you can still find old farms or acreage to build your own. Come on down.

ALK

yeah my brother lives in birmingham.. Im from CT myself but he always finds these old as hell cars just laying around lol.

The part of ct im in, they only require a bill of sale to register the car.

All kinds of swap meets, rod shops (Dons speed shop berlin tpke and many more) and car shows.

crime rate is alittle high so i garage my cars.

Plainville ct seems to horde the most antique cars imo.

Edited by Trickstar (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

My daughter and family just moved to Franklin Tennessee. I'm going there in April and doing some serious checking. Rhode Island roads are not car friendly!:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

all I can say to those living in a permanent ice-box 9 months out of the year is,

C'MON DOWN. True in the summer it is HOT, but that is why God let us invent A/C. I came down from upstate NY 26 years ago and it would take 6 very healthy Clydsdales to haul my fat carcass back north.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest riomar000

Come to the Grand Canyon state. No rust, no emissions, no problems. The roads in AZ are also some of the best in the country. I don't think i've ever hit a pothole in my life. We may only have two seasons but we have everything except an ocean. In many cases you're only an hour away from something beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pablowest

Hi riomar000. Looks nice to go to Grand Canyon state. But do you know a place where we can hangout with a beautiful ocean?

Guest 1hooligan

Remember that only the lower half of Arizona is desert. the upper half is a platuo that extends from one side to the other. If you come this way let me know and I will give you a tour. Pat

Idaho is a great climate for sheet metal, with low humidity and low precipitation, but not too many car events. No AACA regions or chapters yet, and no automotive museums.

I found a great place for a car collector once in the Midwest: an abandoned farm with no surviving house, but a 16-mule barn made out of stone. That would make a great place to work on antique cars. I haven't seen it for 25 years, but it's probably still there.

But with the above said were I to move I would look seriously at the Nashville Tennessee area. Weather isn't bad and Nashville is within a day's drive of all manner of car events in the South and Midwest.

Have to agree. Tennessee has no state income tax or personal goods income tax. Car tags are cheap (around$50) regardless if it is a 1915 Olds, a 1972 Pinto or a 2011 Rolls Royce. No car inspection IF you live outside the city.

OTOH, car sales tax at is 7% (try buying a new car and then get hit with a 7% sales tax:eek:) plus $84 and sales tax is anywhere from 8% to 9 3/4% depending on location. But given the fact that you don't have the income tax or high car tags I guess it evens out.

Weather here is hot and humid in the summer but relatively mild in the winter - had our first big snow here in about 10 years here.

Bob

Guest planetcadillac
I guess I should suggest North Carolina. Very active AACA Regions and Chapters, some nice old car friendly state laws, and you can avoid snow if you choose the right area. To totally avoid the snow, you might have to experience some humidity.

I would agree. NC does not require emissions inspections on vehicles 1995 and older only safety (lights, horns, etc.). Minimal taxes/fees on old car registration. Insurance both regular and collector policies are very reasonable.

Most of NC East of I85 and South of I40 is snow free most of the time. I leave in SE CHarlotte and we very rarely get bad weather. It may not be very warm in January but there are plenty of dry days to take car out for a spin.

NC is FULL of old car clubs and activities. With easy access to I95/I77/I85 you can get most anywhere along the Eastern Seaboard within a day's drive.

Oddly enough, the Peoples' Republic of Maryland (as some of we residents affectionately call it) is actually pretty good for collector car owners. The only tax that is collected is when the car changes hands. Registration is $85 every two years. No emissions tests for cars of model year 1976 and older. Availability of Historic car plates (2500 mile yearly restriction) and a year of manufacture plate program. Of course, the down side here is that there are normally 3 months a year where you won't be driving your car because of the weather and the salt on the roads. You can't have everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good tips and comments.

Last year I visited New Mexico, Georgia and North Carolina. Liked the southwest feel and dry clear climate in Albuquerque so it is high on my list now.

I'm hoping for another prospecting trip this year - probably either August or late October and thinking to check Arizona and Nevada. I Don't know if I will have time for a road trip (usually don't get far from an airport) but want to sample enough areas to make a reasonable choice by summer of 2012 when I'm likely to return to the USA.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the good tips and comments.

Last year I visited New Mexico, Georgia and North Carolina. Liked the southwest feel and dry clear climate in Albuquerque so it is high on my list now.

I'm hoping for another prospecting trip this year - probably either August or late October and thinking to check Arizona and Nevada. I Don't know if I will have time for a road trip (usually don't get far from an airport) but want to sample enough areas to make a reasonable choice by summer of 2012 when I'm likely to return to the USA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Something to think about, Arizona is still emission testing cars 1967 and newer in all metro areas and including Pinal county's city of Maricopa. Don't know if antique plates will get you a exemption. DMV says no some businesses others say yes.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest 1hooligan

Now, I am not sure why anyone in there right mind would live in the Phoenix area if they had a choice!! ONLY THE PHEONIX METRO AREA HAS TESTING, THE

REST OF THE STATE DOES NOT. Also it is in the desert, and oh my God hot in the summer. Over half of the state is above 3000 feet higher and on average 15-20 degree cooler year round. You will sell yourself short if you dont check out Prescott. We have a nice airport, and we are one hour and a half north of Pheonix. And a free tour guide, me. Also I DO NOT SELL REAL ESTATE. In my close neighborhood, about 300 lots (1.5+plus acres each) currently there are over 140 restored or modified classics. Pat OBrien-Prescott

Guest ghpcnm

Pheonix is a living HELL on earth. Stay away from that rat hole. Tucson is better, but not by much. Prescott is not bad, but for my money, I'll take New Mexico.

Now, I am not sure why anyone in there right mind would live in the Phoenix area if they had a choice!! ONLY THE PHEONIX METRO AREA HAS TESTING, THE

REST OF THE STATE DOES NOT. Also it is in the desert, and oh my God hot in the summer. Over half of the state is above 3000 feet higher and on average 15-20 degree cooler year round. You will sell yourself short if you dont check out Prescott. We have a nice airport, and we are one hour and a half north of Pheonix. And a free tour guide, me. Also I DO NOT SELL REAL ESTATE. In my close neighborhood, about 300 lots (1.5+plus acres each) currently there are over 140 restored or modified classics. Pat OBrien-Prescott

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat, even the city of Maricopa ( Pinal county ) not in a metro area has smog testing. My son & his wife have been trying to get us to move to AZ. from where we are on the central Ca. coast ( surfing/ cars and wine country ) for years. If we're going to go we've got to make the decision soon before Ca. collapses. Hate to do this because it's so beautiful and I just finished remodeling my retirement house plus I have a six car garage. I really don't want to start over. I have wanted to be where I'm at for years (20+) and now this state is going to screw everything up.

On mothers day my wife got the usual flowers ect. , plus

a box of hand made things from our grand kids. In that box was a bunch of real estate brochures from your area. They really want us to come. The prices are quite a bit more expensive in your area than the Phoenix suburbs. In the cities of Maricopa or Laveen they are practically giving houses away. Plus for now they have a governor that has a backbone compared to Ca.

• 2 weeks later...