rust!

Guest mikerl1073

Guest mikerl1073

i recently aquired my "elenore" a 1964 riviera, i've always wanted this car...even in high school, and now i have one! however, upon inspection, i found that both the windshield and rear window channels and package try area is severly rusted through-i know this is common for these(GM) cars...my question is, is it worth fabbing/rebuilding the channels? does anyone make replacement sheet metal for this area? i'm also missing the outer stainless trim and the clips are gone...what about these? i know this is alot, but the car is complete and unmolested from what i can tell, aside from the heads being removed from the engine, and want to know if its worth all the work! thanks for everthing fellas

Common problem. Easy fix when left to professionals but may cost you a little.

Much of the trim is shared with the '63 and '65; however, you may have a tough time finding the horshoe clips. I have 20 NOS, but will probably hold onto them just in case I ever get a '64.

Hello, Mike. John in Wisconsin here. Many of the guys on this forum will suggest that a new Riv. owner joins the Riviera Owners Assocition right away. This is great advice. The members are super-helpful....the club magazine is full of stories and photos that will keep your enthusiasum up, plus ads from many Riv. parts suppliers....and you'll get access to the "Members Only" section of the club website, which contains many technical articles and tips. Here's the link to the ROA and the membership application:

Welcome to the Riviera Owners Association Homepage.

And, the best of luck to you on your new '64 Riv.

• 2 weeks later...