Junkyard Diorama Project (1/24)

Guest ModelJunkYard

Guest ModelJunkYard

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CPORTRI%7E1%5CCONFIG%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Century Gothic"; panose-1:2 11 5 2 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabla normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hi everyone!

We are working on a huge Junkyard Diorama project (1/24), including lots of cars, a barn, a gas station, and lots of other stuff. We'll keep you posted on the progress of our project!<o:p></o:p>

We started a website to share our work (pictures, videos, wallpapers, etc) with all junkyard fans and to sell some stuff (tutorials, t-shirts, etc) to finance this great project.

We invite you all to visit our Website, you can download some nice Wallpapers for free and see videos and images of our junk cars.

The pictures you see here are 1/24 model kits built as junk cars. The landscapes are real (holiday pictures). We photoshoped the cars into the landscapes. We love to do that to get a much better impression of the model car when surrounded by the "real" context.

We are always happy to meet other model car fans to exchange ideas, tips, etc. If you have some questions about our work, just let us know!

Cheers,

Seb & Iggy

<o:p></o:p>

40_ford_coupe_-_desert.jpg

57_fairlane_-_barn.jpg

Edited by ModelJunkYard (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kingoftheroad

Nice !!

I was thinking of getting a nice junk car for my yard and the engine bay would double as a BBQ grill, the car hood being the grill cover...

Guest ModelJunkYard

Hi guys,

This weekend I had finally time to continue with my Chevy junk model car project. We were working on our website the last weeks. It was a lot of work but it looks great now.

57_chevy_-_body2.jpg

I hope you can see the details of the engine better in this picture. I zoomed as far as I could with my camera.

I made them with small pieces of nails and wire.

57_chevy_-_engine2.jpg

Pay attention, the window of the right door works. It goes up and down.

I still have to build that door again as it is not as good as the left door. The right door was the best I could do at age 17. Now it can be better, just as the left door.

57_chevy_-_doors2.jpg

Here the work form last Weekend:

57_chevy_-_front.jpg

Trunk with rust holes:

57_chevy_-_trunk.jpg

Here you see the front seat. The original seat is made out of two pieces (20 & 21). An awful thing for this huge scale.

57_chevy_-_seats1.jpg

So I glued the two pieces together and cut them again in the real parts as it should be.

57_chevy_-_seats2.jpg

And here you see the finshed job:

57_chevy_-_seats3.jpg

57_chevy_-_seats4.jpg

Now it looks and it works like real!

Guest Kingoftheroad
That's a cool idea!

Thanks, I can't take credit for the idea. At the end of the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nick Cage, they BBQ in the front clip of a '67 - '68 Firebird.. I thought it was a cool idea too !!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ModelJunkYard

Here you have one more scale model (1/24) photo mounted on a picture of the Bonneville salt flats:

'65 Galaxie 500

65_galaxie_500_-_salt_desert.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest ModelJunkYard
A good friend of mine makes models as he sees them on the streets. Here is a Super Bee that he saw on the streets of San Francisco.

That's a great job!

scale models of "real cars" are much better than shiny perfect stock models, I thinks. They are somehow much more alive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ModelJunkYard

I see lots of people click on this thread, therefore I guess many people likes it...

Let's continue with the Chevy:

Here you see the original firewall and a picture of a real firewall printed on scale.

The difference is so huge I decided to make it completely new... while doing that I actually realized that I had to make the whole engine compartment new.

So here you have pictures of the firewall. I'll post pictures of the complete engine compartment as soon as it's ready.

Before:

57_chevy_-_firewall1.jpg

After:

57_chevy_-_firewall2.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

Very Nice !! Following this thread makes me wanna start building car models again, building real cars is getting really expensive !

• 1 month later...

This is cool! I've got a model of a MG that I'll need to photo and post. It's sitting in a junk yard, built it years ago. I like them when they look properly aged.

Terry

• 1 month later...
Guest ModelJunkYard

Thank you guys for your feedback. Yes, it's much cheaper to build scale models than cars... and it takes much less space. :-)

I want to have my own junkyard... and the best way to do it is just in scale. Buying a real one?... no thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest ModelJunkYard

A few more details, this time, the engine compartment:

Before:

57_Chevy_-_Engine_comp0.jpg

And after:

57_Chevy_-_Engine_comp1.jpg

57_Chevy_-_Engine_comp2.jpg

It's not 100% finished yet, but it's much better than the original kit.

I'm moving to a new house now. All my hobby stuff is already packed in boxes.

As soon as I get my new hobby room ready, I'll be back with more updates!

• 1 year later...
Guest ModelJunkYard

Hello guys, I'm finally back. After moving, having a child, and lots of other things that came in between I managed to re continue this project!

here you have a few pics after painting and adding a few details. I'll be weathering the engine next. It wont take that long til the next! ;)

1957_chevy_v8_engine_scale_model_05.jpg

1957_chevy_v8_engine_scale_model_04.jpg

1957_chevy_v8_engine_scale_model_01.jpg

1957_chevy_v8_engine_scale_model_06.jpg

Guest eesti94

This is such a cool site. Glad I found it.

When I was a kid building car models, they ended up looking like junk :) and I never thought how cool it would be to do it on purpose.

Hello guys, I'm finally back. After moving, having a child, and lots of other things that came in between I managed to re continue this project!

here you have a few pics after painting and adding a few details. I'll be weathering the engine next. It wont take that long til the next! ;)

glad to have you back and look forward to following your junkyard build. Man that kid is gonna be in heaven when he gets a little older. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to build many models as a kid like most of us, I guess. Your work is phenomenal! I used to make mine as realistic as I could with my 10 year old hands at the time. Do you take commission pieces? I'd love to have a model of my 59 Skyliner in "as found" condition (Yes my Skyliner is in those bushes! One pic is after we cleared some away) I have many photos and 1/24th scale models of them are available.

One bit of friendly critique is the engine in the pic. It would not usually be found with the intake on and a head off. The intake is usually removed to access the head. I would place the intake in the trunk, ground or front seat. I don't know if you can remove the head w/o removing the intake on a Chebby.

LOVE YOUR WORK!

post-31565-143138821073_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138821076_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138821079_thumb.jpg

post-31565-143138821081_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ModelJunkYard
glad to have you back and look forward to following your junkyard build. Man that kid is gonna be in heaven when he gets a little older. :)

Yes, I'm already making plans of cool stuff that I want to build for/with him such as a rat rod pedal car and things like that. I hope he likes it! Maybe he develops a passion for other stuff and shows no interest in classic cars and related items. We'll see.

Do you take commission pieces? I'd love to have a model of my 59 Skyliner in "as found" condition...

One bit of friendly critique is the engine in the pic. It would not usually be found with the intake on and a head off...

LOVE YOUR WORK!

Yes I do take commission pieces. We can talk about it in detail via PM if you want.

About the engine details in my Chevy, thanks for the comment. It's not finished yet and I still have to check a few details here and there. I almost bought a real 57 Chevy nomad 2 weeks ago, but it was just a big rust bucket, so I decided no to. That would have been the best way to check for details... having the real thing parked in the garage! :-) Next time!

• 7 months later...
Guest shadetree77

I just found this thread. Excellent work! I was introduced to model car building by my Dad when I was little. Building models was one of the things that got me into classic cars. I loved building them and this thread brings back good memories! I must have built 100's and I still have a lot of them. As I got better at it, I even began to put them in display cases. The last few years I was building them I started to get into the details like you have. Making spark plug wires, realistic wiring, and other more realistic stuff. I even put a little electric motor in a truck one time. Then there was the time I built a 1958 Impala tank complete with remote control. I used it to crush some of my other models! I always wanted to do a junk yard model. I saw a junk yard 1950 Ford Truck in a model car magazine and it made me want to build one similar to it. But my interest in the hobby began to fade when I grew up and got a full-sized old car to work on. :) I still have a whole box of models I never got around to building and a lot of my old tools. Seeing this makes me want to dig those out of the closet and see how many of them are still intact. Keep up the good work!

Guest ModelJunkYard

Hello guys, thanks for the feedback.

@shadetree77, thanks a lot for sharing your story! I'm glad I can bring this memories back to you.

Guest ModelJunkYard

After adding more details to my model car, I want to share with you the results:

Here you see a few pics of the process and the finished engine bay at the bottom.

I used an old light bulb to make the accelerator spring and I scratch built many parts such as the battery cable connectors, the brake booster, heater hoses, etc.

8108343791_e3a1f0c941_b.jpg

8108352762_ca1ca3fd70_b.jpg

8108353006_7b26f70c51_b.jpg

8108343547_36b23e974c_b.jpg

8108343439_dc8d46005d_b.jpg

Building models and detailing them like this is what helped me restore my car. After all, a car is made of parts, just like a model, except it is full size and when you are done, you can drive it! Great work on the detailing, that is the most enjoyable part. Most of my work, like yours was done on WWII airplanes and armored vehicle dioramas.

Guest ModelJunkYard

Hello guys, thanks a lot for the feedback!

@1957buickjim: I totally agree. restoring real size cars is like building a real size scale model!

• 1 month later...

What impressive detail work! Makes me want to do another. Have not had much time to build these past few years, but wanted to get a pic of this one I constructed a few years back. We didn't have a MGTC at the time but now have the real thing, thankfully in much better shape that the model.

Terry

post-30751-143139324686_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143139324719_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Cool models. Back in the 60's I built a model of a Mustang fastback to look like it had just crashed into a tree. Didn't keep any pics of it, but I was only 12 and the quality of the build was nowhere close to what you are doing. I made flat tires with heat, and was able to do a fair job of crunching the "sheet metal", but I never achieved a convincing version of shattered glass.