1937 Pontiac Where to add the transmission oil?

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

Since I took my car for its first test drive last weekend, I noticed that the second gear is noisey, and doesn't seem to be syncronizing correctly. I was reading in the Pontiac shop manual I have, and it mentions that the transmission oil needs to be replaced every 1000 miles. It also said that if this oil gets dirty, that this can cause the problems I am having. So, according to the manual, I am to use "S.A.E. 160". Is this type of oil still avaliable? If not, what should I use?

Also, I am trying to figure out where exactly I am to add this oil. It really doesn't spell this out in my book, so I am in need of some assistance. I believe I can find the drain plug (somewhere on the bottom of the transmission), but where in the world do I go to add more oil? Do I have to remove the metal cover inside the car which covers the transmission, and refill it from inside the car? Because I have no idea when the last time this oil was replaced, I figured that now would be a good time to do this. I hate to waist my time looking for a problem, when only general maintance is needed to correct it.

Any help and advice you can offer will be appreciated!

Thank you!

There should be a pipe plug, identical to the drain plug, on the right side of the transmission about half way up. This is where you fill the transmission. Put in oil until it starts to run out. To check the oil level stick your finger in the hole, if you can touch the oil it's fine.

Guest elmo39

i dont know what manual you looked at , but , i have a 1935 on Auto Repair Manual , it says a 1937 pontiac should use 80 EP in the trans, for both winter and summer

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Rusty! I'm glad to hear I don't have to remove the transmission cover. I guess I'll need to drive the car until the oil heats up a bit before I change it.

elmo39

I have the actual shop manual printed by the Pontiac Motor Company back in October of 1936, and covers only the 1937 models. The book actually lists 2 different weights of oil for the transmission. If the temp. is 60 degrees or warmer (which it is down here) to use S.A.E. 160. If the temp. is below 60 degrees, then to use S.A.E. 90 oil.

Does anyone for sure know what oil to use? I was thinking the 160, but do they make that anymore? Is a detergent oil used?

I'm not sure if this applies to your car, but if your trans uses any yellow metal like brass or bronze for bushings or synchros you cannot use the newer oils that contain sulphur, it will attack the metal. I know this applies to my Pierce and my Cadillac so I only use GL-1 grade. If the car has been sitting a long time you may be surprised what drains (or doesn't drain) out. If the trans is noisy the 160 sounds like your best bet.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you TexRev_63. OK, then I ask you, what kind of oil do I use? If they still make the 160, great! Is this oil a detergent oil? Do I just go to the auto parts store and but some regular S.A.E. 160? I'm a bit confused because of the differences in todays oils. I would hate to put something in the transmission that is going to cause any problems.

Guest dokks6t9

Check with a store such as Tractor Supply. I use 30wt, non-detergent oil in my 40 Olds, and this is the only place I can find it readily.Alot of farm equipment needs non-detergent oils, so maybe a stop at a local farm machinery dealer?? I also use 90wt in my trans and rear-end. Haven't noticed any problems.

Jim,

Gear lube for your transmission and rear end differs from engine oil, it has to handle extreme pressure inherent in meshing gears. The old cars like my pierce needed very heavy oil to cushion unsychronized gears as you tried to shift. As the cars got newer the mechanism improved and thinner oil could be used. New cars use multigrade oil for all seasons but that includes sulfur additives you don't want. In my 32 Caddy I use Sta-Lube SAE 140 Gear Oil from NAPA which is rated GL-4 and states on the bottle that it is not corrosive to copper or bronze, not sure if this is available in thicker form but it is worth a check. Penrite or Lubriplate specialty oils are also available as Rusty mentioned, check Restoration Supply at www. restorationstuff.com