60 EDSEL INFO NEEDED

I am going to get this car ready to sell (the original owner just passed away), and it doesn't need much

Can any of you decipher the tag for a 60 Edsel ?

Is there a place to get a replacement fuel tank ?

Anyone have a "E" for the 1/4 panel ?

post-64655-143138227538_thumb.jpg

post-64655-14313822756_thumb.jpg

post-64655-143138227584_thumb.jpg

post-64655-143138227606_thumb.jpg

Guest 39Super8

Hello 28 Chrysler,

Well, looks like you have the 391st car built at the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=</st1:City>Louisville plant</ST1:p

It is a standard built 4 door sedan.

It is Polar white body and Regal red roof.

The interior is Silver Vinyl and Black Pebble cloth.

The projected build date was September 21 1959

It has a 3 speed standard transmission and a 3.56:1 rear axle ratio.

<O:p

Neat car.

Base model, base engine, base transmission, base hubcaps, with optional two-tone roof. Looks like it has a radio, and likely a lever-temp heater.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am very familiar with these cars.

Best of luck,

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest Swifster

All of the information listed above is correct. This is how the numbers breakdown...

0 = 1960

U = Assembly Plant (Louisville, KY)

12 = Ranger 4-dr sedan

V = 223 6-cyl w/1 BC

700391 = Sequential Build at Louisville starting with 700,001

58A = 4-dr sedan

M = Lower Body Color (Polar White)

J = Upper Body Color (Regal Red)

1 = ?

20 = Ranger Standard Trim (Silver & Black)

21J = 21st day of Sept (J)

1 = Standard 3-Spd transmission (Manual)

1 = 3.56 w/o Equa Lock

Good luck with the sale

Do any of you guys have the shop manual for the 1960 Edsel? I am still seeking frame diagram with dimensions from it if someone would be so kind to scan and send it my way - especially the convertible frame(s) but suspect both will be on one page? Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello 28 Chrysler,

Well, looks like you have the 391st car built at the <!--?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com--><st1:city w:st=</st1:city>Louisville plant

It is a standard built 4 door sedan.

It is Polar white body and Regal red roof.

The interior is Silver Vinyl and Black Pebble cloth.

The projected build date was September 21 1959

It has a 3 speed standard transmission and a 3.56:1 rear axle ratio.

<o:p

Neat car.

Base model, base engine, base transmission, base hubcaps, with optional two-tone roof. Looks like it has a radio, and likely a lever-temp heater.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am very familiar with these cars.

Best of luck,

Jim

Ran across this post and felt compelled to correct a common myth about Ford's use of the term "sequence number." It is quite misleading. The "sequence number" has absolutely nothing to do with the order of production on the line. It's much like a sales order number and it is quite possible that several cars having a higher "sequence number" could have been produced before this particular car. It would not be unusual to see two cars having the same date codes on their I.D. plates with "sequence numbers" way apart from one another.

The one thing that is certain with this given car is the "sequence number" is indeed a testimony to very lagging demand for '60 Edsels. Production in that year would have cranked up in mid July some nine to ten weeks before this car was produced.

</o</o</o

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Some parts available from Mac's Auto Parts.

If gas tank is not too far gone, "Gas Tank Renu" can do wonders.

My friend/mechanic has a client with a '60 Edsel conv.- now that's rare!

Good luck.

I read somewhere that only 79 1960 Edsel convertibles were made.

• 1 month later...
Guest pskinner

This is an interesting car, the 1960 Edsel went into production in early September 1959, went on sale October 15, and was discontinued on November 19, 1959. I maintain a registry for the Edsels and to date have recorded information from a little over 1,050 of the 2,846 Edsels produced for the 1960 model year. Let's break down the VIN of 0U12V700391: 0-1960 model year; U-Louisville, KY assembly plant; 12=Ranger 4-dr sedan; V=223 cid/145 HP "Mileage Maker Six" in-line 6-cylinder engine; 7=Edsel; 00391=391st Edsel for 1960 scheduled for production at Louisville. (Note: cars did not then, nor do they now, come down an assembly line in exact unit sequence order)

The body code line breaks down as follows Body 58A=Ranger 4-dr sedan (1 of 1,228 produced), Color MJ1=(M) Polar White body (J) Regal Red roof (1) Two-tone paint scheme designator; Trim 20=Silver Moroccan vinyl bolsters with Black Pebble cloth inserts; Date 21J=September 21, 1959 as the day your cars was scheduled to be assembled; Trans 1=3-speed manual transmission; Axle 1=3.56:1 rear axle ratio.

Of the 1,228 Ranger 4-dr sedans produced for 1960, I have on file 338 or just over 27.5% of total production. Out of that number I have only 7 others with this paint color, but this car is the only one on file with this trim code "20" listed (the others show trim code 25 which is red vinyl with black cloth).

I hope you find this information useful. If any other members have Edsel questions, please feel free to contact me.

• 8 months later...

Looks like a decent car, know there's an Edsel collector out there somewhere who'll snap it up!

On the 79 Edsel convertibles produced, I've heard that there are more than that number in existence today. I once sold a 1960 Ford Sunliner, and was told by the buyer that he had an Edsel parts car, and was going to convert the Sunliner to an Edsel convertible, as it's basically the same body....

Guest pskinner

There were actually only 76 Ranger convertibles produced for the 1960 model years. Due to the many shared body and chassis components between the 1960 Ford and 1960 Edsel, a few back-yard mechanics have created at least a half-dozen know counterfeit Ranger convertibles. Using parts, mostly from a two-door sedan and a Ford Sunliner, everything is pretty much bolt on. At least one individual went so far as to alter the frame numbers created a bogus "export" edition in light blue and then created another one with totally erroneous numbers altering a Los Angeles built car's ID numbers. If interested in purchasing one of these cars, it doesn't hurt to have it authenticated through on-line forums or feel free to contact me directly. We have accounted for 60 of the 76 convertibles built and pretty much know all the fakes. Phil Skinner, Market Editor, Kelley Blue Book.

This car also has a dealer instaled overdrive that has the knob made for a 1960 Ford. ( installed before delivery )

It is about 1,500 miles from me and I still have not moved it or done anything to it. (My Bad)

I know all the history from day 1, but I don't have much for documentation.

I thank you all for the info. Maybe some day I should do compleat history on this plain Jane, every day, kind of old car.

Guest pskinner

Overdrive was available on the 1960 Ford, but to date, no 1960 Edsels have ever been found with it. Of course the 1959 Edsel didn't list overdrive as being available but to date about a dozen examples have been found and verified as being factory equipment. What is also interesting is that while overdrive wasn't listed for the 1960 Edsel, in the shop manual an entire chapter is dedicated to it servicing and maintenance! When you do a history, don't forget to include all of the information from the data plate. Phil Skinner, Kelley Blue Book, pskinner@kbb.com

• 2 years later...

This is an interesting car, the 1960 Edsel went into production in early September 1959, went on sale October 15, and was discontinued on November 19, 1959. I maintain a registry for the Edsels and to date have recorded information from a little over 1,050 of the 2,846 Edsels produced for the 1960 model year. I hope you find this information useful. If any other members have Edsel questions, please feel free to contact me.

Any idea of how many Edsels were sold in Canada for the 1960 model year?  Or were they a "U.S. only" thing that year, as the Canadian Meteor was essentially the same car?  It would be interesting to know the production figures for the 1960 Meteor, and how close they would be to 1960 Edsel numbers.

Craig