top swap from l 67

Guest the chad

Guest the chad

Can the manifold and supercharger from a 91-93 or 94-95 be swapped onto the ln3 or the internals wouldn't hold up such as the connecting rods. I can buy a 91-93 l67 complete with accessories with 63,000 miles ,but a bad bottom end

Guest Richard D

Chad, This is just a guess, but i always thought that engines that came with a factory blower had a lower compression ratio than factory N/A engines. I had a Stealth twin turbo and the comp ratio was in the 8 to 1 area, the N/A engine was around 10 to 1. Good Luck!

There is a limit to compression without detonation on pump gas so the way they develop additional power is to increase the size of the combustion chamber then add extra air/fuel to bring the cr back up.

Yes you can boost a higher compression engine, just not much. A diesel OTOH is limited only by the strngth of the bottom end.

Guest the chad

From gmtuners.com I read under GM engine specs the following information. Vin C sfi 165hp@5200,210 pounds of tq.@2000rpm 19lb injectors and 8.5 to 1 compression. 1992-93 supercharged vin 1 205hp@4400 rpm 260 lbs of torque@2800 rpm 8.5 to 1 compression 28 pounds injectors, integral pcv. The 1994-95 supercharged 8.5 to 1 compression also . I gathered information from wiki that the supercharger hardware could be added to the ln3 without changing the heads. The information also stated the 1994 -95 supercharged 3800 gained power and strenght through these improvements, 6 bolt main bearing caps, roller rockers, semi-forged bottom end,larger tb ,epoxy coated supercharger rotor and a 2.85 pulley compared to the 92 -93 2.55 inch pulley. prior engine 205 hp to 225 hp. I couldn't find the 92-93 build info.

Edited by the chad
addition (see edit history)

Guest the chad

My last concern would be flywheel and engine balances. Could anybody give some theory on this subject.

Shouldn't be an issue but you will need premium gas and thecorrect PROM because the advance curve is differnt (and may lose pistons if you don't.)

Also be aware that in '97 or so they revised the programming to back off power on shifts to preserve the 4T65E.

Can the manifold and supercharger from a 91-93 or 94-95 be swapped onto the ln3 or the internals wouldn't hold up such as the connecting rods. I can buy a 91-93 l67 complete with accessories with 63,000 miles ,but a bad bottom end

This was already done by F14. It is way more time and money than just swapping the L67 in to the reatta