1929 Studebaker head

Guest stude8

Interesting, 1929 narrows it down to about 6 different engines, how about number of cylinders for starters. Then serial number of engine it came off of or casting number of head. A picture would tell a lot also.

Stude8

The serial # of the engine it came off wouldn't help you much, since it was a 1936 Pierce eight. I recently replaced this head with a repro aluminum one-original to the car. So, it's an 8 cylinder head from a 1929 Stude, President. Next time I'm out to the garage, I'll check for a casting number.

Bob

Guest stude8

The standard head for 1929-31 President closed cars was 157444; 157859 = 5.5:1 Compression was used on open cars and a 159167 number was 6.5:1 for special order vehicles. Stude8

Stude8,

I checked today. The number is: 157444-2, a couple inches back are another groupe of numbers (?) 1.4.22 The dots are actually in the middle-not at the bottom as shown. So, what do these numbers represent?

Thanks,

Bob

Guest stude8

The second set of numbers is the casting date code, I am guessing but it probably is April 22, 1931. Someone else familiar with the foundry codes can answer this better than me. 157444-2 is definitely the part number for standard compression ratio used on closed cars 1929-31.

Stude8

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sonny j

i have a old studebaker motor and i dont know what kind it is the head has 642509-2 on it and the block has 644720-1 can any buddy help me