Seatbelts in Antiques Required in PA?

I've read a few posts on various forums that Pennsylvania requires seat belts in antique cars. Here's one such post from the HCCA Forum:

"My Hagerty IOnsurance Sponsor: tells me 2010 Pa.

Requires all Vechicals 1900-2010 to Have Seat Belts.

Yes: even my 1900 E.R.Thiomas Buffalo;

Pa. Is 100% Serious, and if you do Not Have Seat Belts, Your Antique Insurance is NOT in effect. Meaning you are 100% liable,

and Can be Heafty fined for Driving with NO Insurance.

Also be Ware New England Has this 2010 EPA Region #2 Emission Table for all Cars Before 1968.

Pre 1968 Auto Max Carbon 8.5 1400 ppm.

Yes: they are Serious Fine is $2,500, Conn. and Mass. require Label you have Had this done;

Hobbie was Easier 50 Years ago"

Is this true?

Phil

I have a class 4 Pa vehicle inspection license and when I got it if a vehicle was not originally equipped with seat belts they were not required.

Last summer I was stopped at a check-point while driving our 50 New Yorker, as soon as the trooper came to my window he said I was exempt.

On weekends I race stock-cars, I believe in seat belts and always wear them.

We have six old cars that are regularly driven, none have seat belts, every time I get in I go for the shoulder belt.

I have never read my antique vehicle insurance policy close enough to know if they are required by them.

When I think about seat belts while driving an old car I don't know if I want to be strapped in behind a non-collapsable steering column, but then again I would hate like heck to be ejected.

I think I will just keep being extra careful while driving and watch out for those that aren't.

Jay

Also be Ware New England Has this 2010 EPA Region #2 Emission Table for all Cars Before 1968.

Pre 1968 Auto Max Carbon 8.5 1400 ppm.

Yes: they are Serious Fine is $2,500, Conn. and Mass. require Label you have Had this done;

Hobbie was Easier 50 Years ago"

Is this true?

Phil

This part, no.

There simply aren't any EPA emissions standards for pre-1968 cars for 49-state cars, let alone separate standards for individual Regions within EPA. Even CA has state standards only for 1966 and newer cars.

Besides that New England is in EPA Region 1, not Region 2.

Also "max carbon 8.5 14000 ppm" doesn't mean anything, or make sense. And if 1400 ppm "max carbon" is a real standard somebody's trying to get enforced, I'd like to see the 2 cycle Saab that meets it!

Also there is no online reference at all to a seat belt requirement for antique cars in the PA Code of Regulations.

Somebody's having fun with people.:mad:

Edited by Dave@Moon
Added EPA Regions information (see edit history)

Not required in PA antique cars as long as you are wearing an approved helmit, chest protector, shin guards, and safety goggles. However it is legal, while driving, to talk on a cell phone while texting your paramour................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)