Metz

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

I am going to look at a 1916 Metz today.

I have heard that these cars do not do well on tour because of the friction drive slipping. Is there any truth to the slipping? If so how would you fix this problem?

Is there any other things I need to keep in mine when looking at a Metz?

Austincar6

Edited by austincar6 (see edit history)

Guest austincar6

I went to see the Metz. Maybe some one could tell me if the body has been changed? Does eveything appear to look corrected for a 1916 Metz?

The Magneto looks modern. Other wise it look stock to me.

Austincar6

post-55917-143138214822_thumb.jpg

post-55917-143138214825_thumb.jpg

post-55917-143138214828_thumb.jpg

post-55917-14313821483_thumb.jpg

I have a 1913 Metz. Here's what I can tell you: You're magneto is wrong; you can see it doesn't fit the bracket. The carburetor looks correct in the photo as does the engine (though I can't say it is a 1916 or an earlier one). Even the oil filler cap is correct. I agree that the body metal looks wrong. Take a look here for some photos. Looks like someone was trying to build a speedster-type body. The hood might be correct, but not sure about the fenders. The control pedals look OK. The chassis (what I can see) looks correct though it's missing the pan under the motor.

As for reliability, the friction drive works fine if set up correctly. Some people complain that the paper discs don't last long, but I don't know by personal experience; I'm still working on mine and haven't driven it yet. The engine is very good.

Phil

Guest austincar6

Thank you all for the helpful info. I am thinking of geting this car. The engine seem to be good and tite. It looks like it would not take much to get it on the road.

I hope in a month or so I can get this Metz.

I have been looking for a car that will do good on tours and not take up much room. I think this car may do the trick.

I know I will have more question later.

Thanks

Austincar6

A 1916 Metz would be a "Metz 25". It should have one chain driving the rear axle and a starter motor on the driver side. I see you have teeth on the flywheel, so I assume it has or had a starter motor. Below is an image of the Metz 25 motor. Not the location of the serial number. This is the only number on the car.

Phil

post-52500-143138214958_thumb.jpg

Guest austincar6

It dose have the starter motor and a generator. They are out of the car. They are little ruff. Just need to be clean up and tested to see if they work.

What kind of body is on your 1913 have? How long have you been working on it?

Wear can a guy find the paper discs at?

If I can get the serial # could that tell what body it started life with?

What kind of body is on your 1913 have?

The standard roadster body. In 1913, they only sold two styles: the roadster and the "special" which was basically the same thing but a few pieces missing,

How long have you been working on it?

Only recently started. I got it last year.

Wear can a guy find the paper discs at?

Here.

If I can get the serial # could that tell what body it started life with?

Yes, I think so.

Phil

• 1 month later...
Guest austincar6

I don't think I will be geting this car. I would like to give you Metz guy a change.

The car is in Lincoln, Ks. I have more info. if you would pm me.