Looking for Sparton "Chime" horn parts

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

I am trying to restore several old Sparks-Withington Co. Sparton "Chime" Horns.

They all need new diaphragm elements to be able to "Tune" into their correct musical tone. These diaphragms are 2" OD x .004" Thick Beryllium Copper metal discs.

The originals are all deformed or have wear patterns that have rendered them unusable.

Has anyone reproduced these or are any substitute components available at this time? I have some shim stock that would function ok if I had a tool to punch the discs with but I hope not to have to get into a tooling cost for this project.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am sure there must be a lot of these horns looking for the same part.

Stude8<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-31139-143138213968_thumb.jpg

Stude8-- I have had a few horns repaired by "The Horn Shop" in Rome NY. His name and address: Bill Randall,7129 Rome/Oriskany Road,Rome NY 13440.Sorry, I don't have his phone number. He has the plates and caps but whether or not he sells parts I do not know. I do know his workmanship is very good. --Bob

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest stude8
Older post, but lets see... I have the three horn bugle-chime. My motor works, but no sound from trumpets besides a scraping/grinding type of sound. I've tried turning the adjustment knobs in and out to no avail. Any advice?

I replaced the horn diaphragms in my Sparton some 20 years ago, previous owners had warped them by over tightening or other mishandling and once warped they no longer oscillated correct. You need Phosphor Bronze flat stock .005 thickness to make them from, it can be cut with scissors to size. I got the metal from a supplier in Morton Grove, Illinois called Guardian Metal Sales, 6116 Oakton St, Morton Grove, IL 60053. Don't know if they still operate? The bronze diaphragm has to be aligned so that when fully threaded onto the horn that it rests against the round brass tube connected to the horn resonator. Kind of like a pipe organ reed horn. It may take a few adjustment trials to get it aligned where the diaphragm speaks (brass tube has fine threads and a lock nut to adjust it) at the desired tone and volume. Good luck. Stude8

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I saw your post that started this thread and appreciate the advice! Quick question... I know nothing about metal types. In your first post you mention .004 beryllium copper, and in the second one you mention .005 phosphor bronze. Any difference or preference between the two? Thanks!

• 8 months later...
I replaced the horn diaphragms in my Sparton some 20 years ago, previous owners had warped them by over tightening or other mishandling and once warped they no longer oscillated correct. You need Phosphor Bronze flat stock .005 thickness to make them from, it can be cut with scissors to size. I got the metal from a supplier in Morton Grove, Illinois called Guardian Metal Sales, 6116 Oakton St, Morton Grove, IL 60053. Don't know if they still operate? The bronze diaphragm has to be aligned so that when fully threaded onto the horn that it rests against the round brass tube connected to the horn resonator. Kind of like a pipe organ reed horn. It may take a few adjustment trials to get it aligned where the diaphragm speaks (brass tube has fine threads and a lock nut to adjust it) at the desired tone and volume. Good luck. Stude8

Hello,

Thanks for all the great post and advise,

I had a question regarding the diaphragm on the spartan horn, hoping to get advise on how to take apart the horn resonator, are they threaded together or friction fit?

Thanks 1940century