1941 Streamliner

Picked this up in Knoxville Tn, it is all original and complete with some parts that came with it. I love to peruse craigslist and this was one I couldn't pass up. My father and I will be restoring this to original condition when I visit him from Alaska where I live, so this will take awhile but it is a good solid start and will be my drive around car when I come home to visit. The few things you see missing in the photos came with the car so it is complete. I will need some help on replacement and restoration people for certain things and this looked like a good place to find some info. Thanks for the warm welcome

• Like 1

Just looking at your photos I hope that any "Restoration" is done with a very light touch. It looks like a super "time-warp" car to me and needs to be very much left unspoiled. Sure replace the missing things like the hub cap etc but please don't start tearing it apart or stripping off the paint. I have seen too many very usable cars absolutely destroyed by ill placed "enthusiasm"

Bernie J

As our friends in Italy say "Hasten slowly"

• Like 1

I agree with Bernie, it looks like gentle use of a buffer and polish might be the only exterior restoration it needs! At shows I spend more time looking at original cars than trailer queens, you can see what they really looked like when new as opposed to someone's best guess. Just my $.02, keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1

I am not sure what I will do for the outside but a good buff and polish wont hurt it for sure. I know I will have to redo the interior, frame and part of one running board as it was replaced by a piece of galvanized. Here is a link to some more pics. Thanks for the comments.

Jason

http://picasaweb.google.com/uscgjason/Pontiac?feat=directlink

Jason, nice car. Really not bad at all, just cleaning and scraping, and lots of rust preventer on the frame, etc. A good start for an original car. Believe me, I have seen much, much worse. Yours is a fine example and deserves being brought back to life?

How does she run and drive?

What are your plans and schedule? What kind of budget do you have? You are going to have fun.

I like the original cars too. Always more interesting that the resto models.

Here are some pictures of the Data Plates and Engine code, from the looks of things I do not believe the engine is the original. My plans are to remove the interior of the cab and trunk to see what damage is or is not there and proceed from there. I plan at this point to keep it as original as possible but will have to wait and see. If anyone can give me an idea as to what the data plate means it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

IMG_2740.JPGIMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

Guest Road mister

Jason, Great looking car, I love the names they gave them back then, it fits. Chiming in with the guys who suggest cleaning it up while keeping as much of its present look. New paint jobs are a dime a dozen, I love seeing a dash as it came from the factory. Good luck, Im sure it will be fun no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try Lewis Jenkins (Jenkins Restorations) in N. Wilkesoro, NC; he's one of the best in the biz,

and probably has correct material.

(336) 687-4282

It won't be inexpensive, but he's a master at blending maintenance and restoration on original cars.

The Streamliner is a Dreamliner, and I'll add my envy of and happiness for you

to all the responses you've received. :)

TG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest tcang

Jason, Super nice! I'm starting on it's cousin here in NJ. I wish mine was a clean.

Can you please send me pics of the right side top of the fender with the hood open? I'm trying to see how the fender fits.

Thanks

Tom - tcang@yesstandard.com

Guest raywilks

on the seats, try charlie alexander, maryville.

alexander upholsterey, can not find the number but he is acroos the street from county fire dept.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Well, its been awhile but life has taken an interesting turn which has allowed me to start work on completing this project. Here is a link to some pictures of the dis-assembly and before and after pictures of the seats. Body is scheduled to go off to the body shop in the next week or so to fix the rot and sandblast everything else including the frame. I would do it myself but they have a jig and can get to the bottom side to blast primer and paint way easier than I can. Hope to have it back soon so that I can get the rest of the body blocked in and painted this summer when I come home for a visit.

Does anyone know what color these engines were from the factory in 1941?

Thanks

https://picasaweb.google.com/uscgjason/1941PontiacDisassembly?authuser=0&feat=directlink

post-67821-143142375906_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375831_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375845_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375853_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375861_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375871_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375879_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375887_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375895_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375901_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142375904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

How do I find out what year the engine is on this vehicle? Or if it is the original (I dont believe it is)

Thanks

Jason

Jason, post below in the Pontiac forum, they even have a section on the flatheads. Good idea to join a national level club too like

http://www.poci.org/

You may want to try http://www.lebaronbonney.com/ . They have a large selection of GM interior kits. If they don't have yours, they may give you a deal for the patterns.

Edited by Landman (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the information everyone. Here are some pictures of the engine now that it's back from rehab. Just need some time to get her together. Another step closer, and if I could catch a weather break I could get the car back from blasting....lol

post-67821-143142633688_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143142633678_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, another step closer thanks to my dad who is amazing. He finished the filter screen repair on the engine and now it is going back together. We used stainless in the same mesh and style to facilitate the replacement. Body is off to the next bodyman after the first came down with an illness and couldn't complete what I needed done. Tiny slices of the pie are getting it closer to the finish......

post-67821-143143079586_thumb.jpg

post-67821-14314307955_thumb.jpeg

post-67821-143143079557_thumb.jpeg

post-67821-143143079563_thumb.jpeg

post-67821-143143079568_thumb.jpg

post-67821-143143079571_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Keep up the good work Jason. Forgive me for asking - the screen is part of the oil filtration system? I am not familiar with this, but enjoy the chance to learn!

Chuck in Kansas

Thanks! On these engines they do not have an oil filter as we think of it today but instead had a kind of filtration / sediment capture system that kept the debris and particles from circulating within the engine.

Here s an ad for it from back then.

post-67821-143143083013_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...