Wheel bearings

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

Hi guys, many of us are geting ready to head south with are car trl. in tow. Dont forget to check the wheel bearings. I borowed a friends roll back and when checking the wheels I found 3 outter and 1 inner bearing badly pitted. I replaced them,but I hate to think of what MIGHT hace happened had I not checked.:eek:

Good reminder, Dick. I just went through mine yesterday and was amazed at how loose one of the hubs had become since last year when I paid someone to repack the bearings. I feel much better now having personally done the job.

Guest 1hooligan

Horror stories, also check every 100 miles or so!! I was bring a 55 thunderbird back on my trailer, regreased before I left, and rechecked when I pick up the car. 150 miles later, while on the highway doing 65 mph, In the dark I happened to look in the rear view mirror. Me and my buddy had switched turns driving. A red glow.............SH-T, we had lost a grease cap from one wheel, in 100 degree weather, it had lost all grease, was red hot, and wobbling....

I still have bad dreams about what could have happened. SO CHECK ALONG THE WAY OFTEN !!