1936 Buick Interior

Guest valleyjim

Guest valleyjim

I'm restoring a 1936 Buick Series 40 Special Business coupe. Did this car have Mohair interior or a broadcloth interior, or were both available?

Also, did this car have carpets or a rubber mat?

Jim -- Post the trim number from the data plate on the firewall (engine side), from this number I can look up the interior that was originally installed at the factory when the car was built. To my limited knowledge on the floor mat, I doubt that a 40 series ever had anything other than a rubber mat.Anyone, please feel free to correct me on the mat matierial if it is other than rubber --Bob

Edited by Seldenguy (see edit history)

Guest valleyjim

Dear Seldenguy & groselle,

Thanks for the replies and info. The Trim No. on my 36 Buick is 245.

Any further info onn this car would be greatly appreciated.

Guest valleyjim

Thanks Bob,

Do you know of any photo or spec source to tell me how this interior looked, including door panels and arm rests, so that I can reupholster it to original?

Jim

How close are you to McPherson, Kansas? The college there has one that they just finished doing a complete restoration on, including the interior (which is mohair, by the way). Might be worth a trip if you are anywhere near Kansas. See March 2010 issue of the Buick Bugle for an article on the car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

• 4 years later...

Jim,

I have my grandfathers original 36-40 Buick. Tell me what photos you need and I will take them. My front floor rubber mat has been replaced with a copy since it was so badly deteriorated. Tag trim number 245.

Send me your email address so I can send photos directly.

Tom

Edited by Tom_S
add trim number (see edit history)

trim number appears to be 245. However, I am begining to wonder if the firewall tag, which was not attached is the real one.. it's kinda destroyed where the serial number is and the last four digits don't appear to match the title and the number on the passenger side frame does not match the title either... :( Anyway, my email address is peerplaut@gmail.com I am looking for the fabric pattern for the original and was there carpet in the back and just vinyl floor in the front? Also, the door panels and headliner. There have been several partial restorations on this care and therefore several layers... :)

I am presently replacing the interior on my 36 special. Don't recall trim number but purchased the interior from Hampton Coach, The seats have not been done altho most of the interior has been replaced. The most difficult part for us has been the rear arm rests as the base is made out of thick black cardboard or some such substance and is badly deteriorated. We are presently in the process of determining how to rebuild. I have carpet for the interior as well as a rubber floor mat for the front which will go over the carpet. When I removed interior it had carpeting on both front and rear floors. Don't believe it had carpet in rear but as I recall the research. I did showed carpet and the set I bought from Hampton included carpet--for a price. They did not have exact match to the carpet offered in 1936. You can contact Hampton and provided them with the interior code number and they will send you little catalog for the car as well as samples of the materials. They are expensive but I was pleased with product. I have not installed door panels but they appear correct. You have metal on the original used to give strength to some of the interior and the set from Hampton does not include the metal strips. We installed some using the metal strips from the old interior and in some instances were unable or chose not to use the strips. Good luck

Rod

pplaut, there is no serial number on the firewall tag, only numbers that indicate style of car, colors, things like that, but some titles will have the model number for the serial number, it's a crap shoot really

the serial numbers are on the engine and the frame, and those 2 numbers will be different

You might have a transplanted engine and maybe the title has the original engine on it for the serial #?

Guest Grant Magrath

Rod, I'd use a fiberglass repair kit to sort your rear armrests if I were you. That should hold everything together nicely.

Cheers

Grant