engine issue

hey there...again...after changing timing belt...car runs but very rough..as soon as you take your foot of the gas, it dies...if you'r lucky..it may still run a bit...have go get it to the smog check...changed pcv valve, changed plugs, air filter......timing seems off..any way to fix it myself? idling under 800rpm seems not to be ok...were do i change the idle speed?!

Guest TC Toad

You might want to recheck your timing belt timing marks, its very easy to get the intermediate shaft timing off....this will affect your distributor timing as well... Have you check your ignition timing with a timing light?

that means...taking it apart again....I already did it twice to recheck the marks and they seem to be ok...but I understand...even if its one tooth off, its all off, right?

did not check the ignition with a timing light...is there any way to find out without taking it all apart again/?? ...

Drive it to Applebees tomorrow night, 8PM 1238 Imperial Hwy, LaHabra and we will check it. It won't pass smog if the timing is off. Worse, if you take it to the smog station and it fails, you will be flagged as a 'gross poluter' Bad stigma for your TC:(

Guest LouZ

Hey Tom,

You are in NJ "The Garden State" Alan is referring to the problems created with officialdom, in Calif. Where areas are blocked from the sun by smog. I have flown into LAX where the blackness that obscured the ground would make someone think they were entering the Twilight Zone...

back to one...changed everything...did not start it yet...knock sensor is broken, need new one...

in order to get the smog certificate...( I already have a fail pass...) do I go to a test only facility? and pay 60 bucks and if I pass, do I have to get it done again at a "non test " place again>?? sorry, but I am not familiar with the us smog check,test..its a whole different game in europe...and much easier....duh....so I need a little help here....

Guest BarelyFit

You need to go to DMV first. Pay the registration and show proof of insurance. They will give you paper work and specify either "test only" or "test". Most likely if it is a new registration it will be "test only". You take the paper work with you to the smog station and roll the dice.

Curious question, how are the TC's doing with California's new pressure test to check for leaks in the vapor return system?

For Shelbyone, a lot of the smog test stations have a reduced rate for a re-test when you have already paid for a failed test with that same station. You can find better testing prices by looking for coupons in the PennySaver or GreenSheet papers.

Once you have a pass result at a test only station you are done with testing for at least a year.