Top Pull Down

Guest Reelhappy

Guest Reelhappy

Thanks to the many TC owners sharing their repair experiences here, gave me the confidence to try it on my 1990. Got the pull down motor out of the car and inspected it as advised. Don’t want to tell you how many times it took me to get that darn worm drive properly reassembled but I think I'll dream about it tonight :D. Anyway it is out and I will now have to use the old through the trunk trick for now, as I found the nylon gear had worn spot. Question is, where can this gear be obtained? Can it be found at NAPA or other local parts store?:confused:

Just need the gear but for anyone who could use the numbers

Motor # 89/165/20160580

Plastic Houseing CAV. 1

PIA

Guest Reelhappy

:) Just wanted to say Thanks to all the gentleman here who post on the “how to’s”. Was able to get the gear (GM part # 20160587) for the pull down at a local GM Dealer for about $5.80, including tax. Had to call a few dealers but was able to find one in stock.

It’s working just great. THANKS!!:cool:

• 2 months later...
Guest george w

FYI, the plastic pull down gear the TC uses is the exact same one that GM used in the Cadillac and high end Buicks and Old's that had the electric trunk pull down. I beleive that the motor and gearcase is the same too.

Protect the pull down mechanism by latching the top's header latches AFTER the pull dowm motor has secured the back of the top and shut off. This is contrary to the owner's manual but it takes the stress off the pull down mechanism.

• 1 year later...
Guest KentWood

I am looking for a diagram of the rear latch mechanism for the hard and soft top, ie the Top Pull Down Mechanism. Understanding this in detail will allow analysis of problems such as Hard Top Will Not Release when TOP switch is depressed, necessity for holding TOP switch until the cycle is complete, and manual release with Hex Nut in trunk mechanism problems. Has anyone had the Top Pull Down Mechanism open or apart to the degree that would allow a diagram to be made showing how it is intended to operate ?

Edited by KentWood (see edit history)

Guest Reelhappy

I don't have the talent to draw a diagram, but this is what I have tried in the past when somtimes the pull down won't secure or release properly. You may have tried it already, if not ----

Use the switch and press it as if to release the top, now push both sides of the top down at the pins to catch the latch (may need another person to hold one corner down), while holding it down activate the switch as to pull it down. If this works, now push the release botton again, I had success in the past doing this.

You may want to try this in different combinations. I would take a picture, but no camera:o. There is NO diagram in servive manual I have. :eek:

Best of Luck.

Guest KentWood

Thanks to all for responding and offering your help.

But allow me to clarify my post.

I do NOT have a problem removing the hard top from my TC.

I simply am looking for a Top Pull Down Mechanism Diagram intended to help those who do have such problems or may develop them in the future.

post-70130-143138983974_thumb.jpg

Guest My TC Toy

The mechanical latching mecanism is particular to the TC, however you will find that motor assembly was also used in high end Imperials and New Yorkers as trunk pull downs. The only part I am aware that causes most of the problems is the motor, case and gears. These are weak parts but fairly common and easy to attain. It seems that Chrysler, GM and probably Ford used the same outside supplier.

• 10 months later...
Guest TomChrysler

Just so you know, I just went down to the local Cadillac dealer here in Sacramento to pick up the gear, just in case I ever need one. The price tag for this little gem is now $8.52 plus tax. Now you are an informed consumer! ;)