1950 Buick Special

Guest Stewie

Guest Stewie

Hey Everyone,

Just recently purchased a 1950 Buick Special and figured this would be a great place to be for all of the advice/assistance that I am sure I will need during this build.

The Buick was found on another site and I just couldn't turn away from it. The previous owner I guess lost desire to complete her after he purchased the vehicle from an older gentleman who had already started the restoration. With the original straight 8 engine, transmission, driveline/brakes, and suspension already restored, I decided and made the Florida to NW Iowa round trip to get her. 2800+ miles later, the 'ol girl has a new home with me. The exterior work

had already been started, but there is some that needs to be gone back over (yes I am picky!!). The interior is completely stripped and the wiring harness had been removed. And after getting her home and doing a quick inventory of the trunk and interior full of parts, I have only come up with a VERY short list of items that are missing....1 "Special" badge, the trunk ornament, the windshield, and a spare tire.....that is all!!!! This car is complete. But here is where the fun begins, I didn't remove any of these parts and no labels. Let the giant jigsaw puzzle begin.

So any questions that I get answered whenever they come up, in advance I thank you. Looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can from everyone on this site.

2253-way-home.jpg

2257-a.jpg

2254-a.jpg

Edited by Stewie (see edit history)

The plastic pieces for the trunk ornament are available from Bob's Automobilia and from CARS, Inc. Both advertise each month in the Buick Bugle magazine. If you aren't a member, you ought to join the BCA and get the magazine. I believe Bob's also sells the Special chrome script.

I have a 1950 Roadmaster and have restored a 1950 Special in the past, so I can probably help with problems.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

1948 Roadmaster 4-dr.

1949 Super Estate Wagon

1950 Roadmaster 2-dr. ht.

1959 Electra 2-dr. ht.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv. 4-spd.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sconnors

Welcome Aboard

I have a 1950 Buick Special too! Had my wiring harness replaced and used YNZ they are a great company. Here's a few links to get you started.

YnZ's Yesterdays Parts

Antique Old Buick Parts CARS, Inc.

http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/

1950 Buick Models, Roadmaster, Super, Special

There's also a ton of great people on here willing to lend a hand. I've been bailed out numerous times! Feel free to drop me a line if you need pictures or any info I can provide using my 1950. My email is scottpconnors@yahoo.com or you can post a message for me here.

Good luck and most of all, have fun!!

Guest cardinal905

Have a 50 that I just got that needs resto too, my interior is together unlike yours so that helps. I have a video that came with the car on some of the dissasembly that I could copy and send to you---I have not viewed it yet but who knows. Good luck with your "Bucktooth Buick" !!

Guest Stewie

Thanks for the welcome. First question I have for you guys is about the radio/antenna. Every photo I have seen shows the roof mounted antenna centered at the windshield. Did they also offer or produce a driver fender mounted location? Mine does have the radio and all, but there has never been one mounted on the roof (no hole) and I have what appears to be a mounting hole on the top side of the fender. And that is another item to add to the short list, no antenna found. Thanks.

Guest Quelle
Thanks for the welcome. First question I have for you guys is about the radio/antenna. Every photo I have seen shows the roof mounted antenna centered at the windshield. Did they also offer or produce a driver fender mounted location? Mine does have the radio and all, but there has never been one mounted on the roof (no hole) and I have what appears to be a mounting hole on the top side of the fender. And that is another item to add to the short list, no antenna found. Thanks.

Hi Stewie,

I am gonna bet that your vehicle left the factory without a radio, and that when one was eventually installed, the installer "took the easy way" when he drilled your fender. It's not "correct", but I don't think I would change it...unless you are doing a restoration, and maybe not even then.

Guest Stewie

Thanks Quelle, that is what I figured. Been looking around and trying to research it and everything was on the roof, except for one thread somewhere confirming what you said. On the plus side, everything is all stripped out for doing a roof install. Well that falls way down on the priority list as of right now, so have plenty of time to decide what route I will end up taking.

Guest Quelle

@Stewie-

If you do decide to do the roof antenna thing, be sure to get a genuine Buick unit, either from a parts car or if you get lucky, a N.O.S. unit from a parts vendor. No point in putting ANOTHER aftermarket antenna on our classy rides!

Interior and trim is nicer on the series 50 also and the series 50 have a one piece windshield versus 2 piece on the series 40. Series 40 were know as Specials and were at the bottom of Buick's models. Low trim, interductory models. Series 50 were the Supers and they were in the middle of Buick's models. You got more trim and in 1950 a larger engine. Also, you could get turn signals and backup lights for a Super.

Guest Stewie

Well work is slowly coming along on 'The Walrus'. I have managed to go through everything that was boxed up and thrown into the trunk. All parts, switches, cables, etc have been identified through alot of research. Also a quick thanks to a couple of members on here.....sconnors and n1gzd. Scott for using his Buick as a reference for finding where certain things go for me several different times and Rebecca for an amazing photo journal of the inprocess breakdown and reassembly of her 50 Super (thanks for that link too Scott).

Basically on a hold pattern for a couple of weeks, then I'll be able to get going on the wiring. Want to get all the wiring in and completed before even starting to reassemble the interior. Less in the way, easier to work with! Thanks again to everyone.

Guest sconnors

Stewie,

No need for thanks. Just trying to pass along the help that people were so generous to pass along to me when I first got mine. There is a wealth of information here and some really great people. This is a great community and I am so glad I found it when I bought mine.

Going forward anything you need please let me know. I'll be glad to take pictures or send any information I can from my car. Just remember, it's a labor of love and you gotta love labor!!

All the best

Scott

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest rdewitte1

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and French. so forgive my English.

One of my friend has a Buick roadmaster 1950. He 's restoring it and has hard time to find how were attach the Static door stopper. I found some on ebay but no instructions, picture or drawing. If one of you guys have some installed on your car would you be kind enough to post one picture of it ?

Thank you.:)

Guest BigDogDaddy

Hmmmm. Could this be a door edge molding to prevent door dings in a parking lot ? Or maybe the strips that hang on the ground to prevent static charges from building up so that you don't get zapped when you touch the car ?

Phil

• 2 years later...
Guest jprice85

Hi i just purchased two 1950 buick specials. Both combined will make one complete car. I may have an extra driver side windshield when im done. But does anyone know the difference between a model 41d and a 50-41d? I know they are delux touring sedans but i cany figure out what the 50- is.

Guest jprice85

Also i cant locate where the turn signals are on the 50 special or even if it had them. Im new to buicks all together. I just couldnt beat the price for them

Actual Mod# is 50-41D for both. 50 indicates the year. Should be a data plate on top of the cowel underneath the hood, passenger side. Sounds like both are the same. For what it is worth, though it does not apply here, the difference in mod#41 and 41D is trim level.

Signal lights were optional in 1950. Many Specials did not have them. Late[second] series are wired for them. I do not know just when in the model year changes became effective. If yours have pull cables for hood release, they are probably late.

Ben

Edited by First Born (see edit history)

Guest jprice85

I do have a pull cable in the car for hood release. The model #s i gave were off of the data plates. One has the 50- the other does not thats why i was confused since both look identical. Thanks you