Convertible 1/4 window rear seal

BRB62

Hi, first newbie question. I am restoring a 62 Electra convertible. I need to replace the weatherstrip seal to the rear of the 1/4 windows (opposite of the U-jamb seals). These are unavailable part #4813983/984? I have found reproduction ones to suit 67-68 GM convertibles that are of similar sizes. Has anyone tried to fit these to 61-62 models or do I just omit them? Not sure how important they are. I believe that these should fit all full size 61/62 GM convertibles. Has anyone found a preferred way to replace these seals? Thanks for any help. Rick

Hi,

When you say 1/4 window, do you mean the front vent window?

I have a 65 Electra and have replaced all of the window/door/conv. trim seals. Most seals you will need are available from Steele Rubber or Cars Inc (oldbuickparts.com). I've had great success with both companies.

Can you take a photo and attach to reply?

Let us know what you find.

Guest martylum

BRB-I'm assuming the mean the windows behind the door glass. tI think the leading edge and roofrail seals show for your model in Steele's catalog.

Martin Lum

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

This is for the rear side windows (parts books call them 1/4 windows). It is the small L shaped weatherstrip seal approx 3"x2 1/2" that seals the rear of the window to the beltrail inside the car. I think without it there will be a small gap between the window and the convertible top and water etc will leak through this gap into the hydraulics compartments. I don't believe that it is very visible when fitted. Steele Rubber has #70-2048-67 which is a similar part for 67/68 GM convertibles and might be adaptable (it is slightly larger).

Hi Dave, tried looking for Hydro-lectric. Is this hydroe.com? If so they do not supply anything like the parts I am after. I tried to upload a photo but have not worked out how to get the image size small enough to send. Your very nice Olds will have them, I think they are covered by the top boot when the top is lowered. With such low mileage yours have probably never been touched! Unfortunately all I have is some metal plate and hard/ brittle rubber, mostly missing. Will keep trying with the photo attachments.

I am having trouble orienting the part in your hand to the body of the car. The part looks like a U-jamb seal. Put it would be on the inside of the door pillar, at the very top. Hydro-e-Lectric has them:

Product Detail - Hydro-E-Lectric

You seem to be saying the part goes on the back of the compartment where the lowered top frame is stored? If that is the case, then I would call hrydro-e-lectric and inquire. They may know what you need, may have it, or be able to tell you where to get it.