Odometer

Guest jmiller

Guest jmiller

Took my gauge cluster out to see what gears I thought I needed to repair it. It has 2 blue gears which seem to be in excellent shape. Where do I go from here? Also how does the speedometer needle come off to really disassemble the unit?

Guest My TC Toy

Jeff, If the speedo is working, the problem with the odometer has to be the gears. Did you physically remove them for inspection? I would not recommend removing the speedo needle, it is usually secured in place and the additional strain could damage the motor and re-alignment could be a buggar.

Good luck,

Bob

Guest jmiller

Bob: I had the unit out and took off one plastic cover and pulled back what appears to be a motor that the gears mount on and could not see anything obvious. I did not take the gears off. How are they driven, obviously it couldn't be an electric motor unless it was some sort of stepper motor tied into the signal for the speedo

Guest mtworkshop

Look harder at the small blue gear. You will probably find at least one bent or broken tooth. Check the manual for a test with a volt meter across the female plug for the odometer.

Mike

Guest My TC Toy

It is an electric motor, receiving a signal from the sensor. Like Mike said, remove the two gears, clean them off and inspect carefully. I think you will find the problem.

Guest jmiller
Look harder at the small blue gear. You will probably find at least one bent or broken tooth. Check the manual for a test with a volt meter across the female plug for the odometer.

Mike

I did look harder this weekend and there was one tooth broke off the small gear and when I tried to turn it there was initial resistance then it popped loose

Thank's

Jeff