They are fun to drive, and tend to make everyone smile

Good luck, and good weather for your new toy

post-54863-143138196015_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138196016_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138196017_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313819602_thumb.jpg

Guest Skyking
Fuzzy dice included?

Actually, I bought the dice and the car came with it..<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:D

<o>> </o>>

"It followed me home, can I keep it?" <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:rolleyes:<!--[endif]--><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:D<!--[endif]-->

Susan, I told my wife I wanted to buy it to flip it...........

That changed on the way home.

<o>> </o>>

Say, even the colors nice. <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:D<!--[endif]-->Dandy Dave!

Dave, I'm not thrilled about the color, but they offered 3 other colors that year. The paint is a 20 year old amateur job, good from 20 feet. I might end up liking it by the time I repaint it.

<o>:P> </o>:P>

Nice car...If you are about 4'9" tall.

That's why the top goes down.<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1029" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://forums.aaca.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->

There are some tall guys in the Met club that fit fine in one. You'd be amazed at the room inside.........

Guest prof pat

Great little lady, good gas milage, fun to drive, and you stand out in a crowd!!! You never know if you feed and water it, it just might grow!!!

Guest Skyking
Sky, she seriously believes that line after all these years???? :rolleyes::D

Wow, you know her better than me............:eek:

I kind'a like Green Giant

You know I just couldn't resist playing the mickey and now so again... how about the name Songbird? over??

Don

Skyking,

Great find. The single color Metropolitan Convertible is not seen often. Because the 54 was such an early entry in the small car field, I don't imagine they sold many.

In 1957, on my twelfth birthday, my Father taught me to drive in his 1950 Austin Saloon (4 door sedan) I was an expert a driving around in our one acre back yard and was the official moving the cars in the driveway.

At 13, Dad got a 1954 Metropolitan Convertible, a real sporty car for the day. It also required frequent moving as well. It's color we always described as Tomato Soup. My brother (age 15) got me to split the cost of Y Pipe Duals from J. C. Whitney to put on the Metropolitan. (I'm still getting my final issue every other month) We spent hours adjusting the butterfly valve to get equal amount of smoke or vapor from each tailpipe. I also got introduced to Simonize on that car, although Tomato Soup never really shined, kind of like your green! See attached 1958 photo.

Thanks for the memories.

post-32318-143138196631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spelling (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

Paul, nice story, beautiful car........ According to the Metropolitan Club of North America they only made 2,917 Metropolitan convertibles in '54. 588 were painted Spruce Green which is the color of mine. It was only available in 4 colors. Your dad's Met looks like it was the Canyon Red. I played with the brakes today and finally got them working. This is the first early series I've ever owned. All my others were always the 1500 series. On the early series the clutch is mechanical. They change that to hydraulic's on the 1500.

Today I was going through some paper work the previous owner gave me and I found this photo................probably taken before he took if off the road.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/36663/2724839610059801719S600x600Q85.jpg' alt='2724839610059801719S600x600Q85.jpg'>

Edited by Skyking (see edit history)

I knew I should have kept that 54 Convert I had when I was 18. I bought it because I blew the rear in my 61 hard top. Did the swap and later bought a real parts car (paint was all that held the car together) and put the rear back in the convert and sold it. It was solid blue but to long a go to remember if it was repaint.

Guest als 66

Another beauty. By the way, how is that we only live a couple of miles from each other yet I've never seen your cars on the road? We'll have to meet at Harriots for breakfast one of these days.. Good luck with the new toy.

AL

Guest Skyking
Another beauty. By the way, how is that we only live a couple of miles from each other yet I've never seen your cars on the road? We'll have to meet at Harriots for breakfast one of these days.. Good luck with the new toy.

AL

Al, how about Friday morning, I have the day off.............we can talk Buicks too!:)

Nice car...If you are about 4'9" tall.

I was 5'8" when I was 13. Every Sunday I had to ride in the back seat of a Met while our neighbor transported his 4'9" son and me to Sunday School. Six months later I was 6'1" and had to find other accommodations.

Nice find. Use it well.

OK OK for the last time, how about Songbird 11 ?? I mean with a name like SKYKING!!! Do you still live at Flying Crown Ranch? You could name it after Clipper. How about Clipper 11, although that sounds more like a Packard.

D.

Guest Skyking
OK OK for the last time, how about Songbird 11 ?? I mean with a name like SKYKING!!! Do you still live at Flying Crown Ranch? You could name it after Clipper. How about Clipper 11, although that sounds more like a Packard.

D.

Well, my daughter was over Sunday and saw the car and her first thought was Sweet Pea................Songbird is good, but, I think it's Sweet Pea.:D

Guest Skyking
I was 5'8" when I was 13. Every Sunday I had to ride in the back seat of a Met while our neighbor transported his 4'9" son and me to Sunday School. Six months later I was 6'1" and had to find other accommodations.

Nice find. Use it well.

Barry, even 5'8" is pushing it for the rear seat. It must have taken you an hour to straighten out.........:D:D

How tall are you now?

Barry, even 5'8" is pushing it for the rear seat. It must have taken you an hour to straighten out.........:D:D .....

My guess is he took it off like one would a jacket. :eek: :D

A friend of mine had a red Metro as his first car when we were in high school. He called it "The Bloody Rat". :cool:

Well, my daughter was over Sunday and saw the car and her first thought was Sweet Pea................Songbird is good, but, I think it's Sweet Pea.:D

I guess I'm too old. Did every one miss the mickey finn? or are all of you having me on?

Don

I was in the Virginia National Guard 1957-65. Sometime during that time period one of the guys bought a new red Met coupe with a white top. Drove it down to the armory and parked it right at the front door. We had some large blocks we used in the motor pool to block trucks off the ground. We got two of them, lifted the rear end of the met and put the blocks under it leaving it about 3 inches of the pavement. He came out to go home, jumped in the Met and fired it up and went through all 3 gears and reverse about 4 times. He'd shove it in a gear, let the clutch out, spin the wheels, put it in another gear and spin some more. Finally he jumped out and hollered for somebody to get the blocks out from under it. If somebody blocked my car up in the air I think I would notice the higher step getting into it but he didn't. Of course, he wasn't the ripest apple on the tree to start with and the car was new to him but yet...........