Microcar & Minicar Club: R.I.P.?

MochetVelo

According to the latest issue of Microcar News, "The Microcar & Minicar Club" has ceased activities, even though their web site is still up. This leaves the Vintage Microcar Club to represent Micro-Car buffs. They have a nice magazine, and actively plan events.

One annoying thing about the www is the "dead" sites that represent long-shuttered businesses and groups... but still accept credit card numbers!

Phil

Guest mharrell

The description in "Microcar News" matches my own experience as a member of The Microcar and Minicar Club-- no contact from the club for about a year and the last issues were making up for even earlier gaps. A shame, since "Minutia" was a good newsletter right up to the presumably final issue and I'd happily renew membership if I saw some activity. Yes, "Microcar News" is great, but still, can't have too many publications.

The only thing to add is that what started out as an adjunct blog for "Minutia" is still going strong on its own. It's updated pretty much every day and generally is worth a look:

MINUTIA - Microcars & Minicars

Mike Harrell

Guest Jim Janecek

There was some talk several years ago of closing down the Club and donating any assets to "Charity".

The bylaws state that any assets must be donated to a 501©3 not for profit.

I don't see why the Treasurer does not just wrap it up and donate everything to the AACA, say in memorium of Ernie Freestone or something.

Maybe people can "suggest" that to Rich Bachmann.....good idea yes?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mharrell

Well, as of today (30 April 2010), Stephen Douglas Hooper has announced he is retiring from the aforementioned Minutia blog. Essentially all of the posts were his, so it appears that's the end, though he left open the possibility of intermittent updates should the mood strike him.

• 1 month later...
Guest mharrell

The blog is still going, but the Microcar & Minicar Club itself has officially disbanded:

Dear Club Member,

It is with sad feelings that after 18 years the Board of Directors of the Microcar & Minicar Club have decided to close the Club.

With retirement, changes in personal interests, and the ever increasing difficulty of supporting a vibrant active national club using solely 100% volunteers, the Board has decided it is in everyone’s best interest to disband the club.

All members in good standing will have the remaining balance of their paid dues refunded.

We wish to thank all of you for your generosity and support of this great hobby over these past 18 years. Owning, driving, restoring, and best of all, communicating with our members from all over the Globe under the large umbrella organization we called "The Microcar and Minicar Club." has been a joy for all of us to have been a part of!

We would like to personally thank each and every one of you for your support over the years! Much was achieved during our 18 years of existence. That success was only possible from great enthusiasts such as yourselves! We can't thank you enough!

Happy Microcaring and Minicaring;

The Board of Directors

The Microcar and Minicar Club