1946 Glidden Revival Tour

jeff_a

Does anybody have a booklet for the first revival of the Glidden Tour in 1946? I read somewhere that James Bohannon brought his 1931 Peerless V-16 on that tour. It was (and is) a fascinating automobile, but at only 15 years old I would think maybe it was too new for what was mostly an event for Brass Era cars. I have a 1954 Glidden Tour booklet, and the autos entered were all pre-1920.

Guest cben09

Ben Beede driving his dads old Royal,,that is the Royal at Pebble,09,,,with the funny sidecurtains,,Joe Knowles drove the 1910 Stevens Duryea,,,his daily driver [summers only],,since 1930,,Jim Melton clearing his voice at some un go,,,ly hour,,said he needed to wind up to a creshendo,,and Bob Beesley , not to be outdone shouted out the window that at 4 am even he could not sing,,haha,,Augie Post,,,The human trophy,,Personal chauffeur to Charles Glidden of Lowell,Ma,,,I'll see if my more recent memory will anti up,,,I,within the year have seen movie/vid of early raceland,,AND pics of the huge tent,,and the ferrys at the 46 Glidden,,That was when 4 guys got on the runningboard of Bently Warren's Pierce[c-2] town car and Bill Spear got on the other side to get it lo enough to mount the ferry,,Bear in mind this was before the first old car had been restored,,and that "pour the rod bearing trick",on the road,,,not possible with babbitt inserts,,,its still babbitt,,but it leaves the crank without needing to be welded,,oh my,,,memories of stories told,,,I was 11 back then,,I joined the club in 48 or 49,I was in[near] Boston,,so it was VMCCA,, Back then any car with electric start and lights was MODERN,,,,,Ben

Edited by cben09
omission (see edit history)

Dear cben09,

From reading your post, it sounds like you were actually there at the 1946 Glidden Revival Tour. That would have been quite something to be at! I read in the article 24T42 provided above that Augie Post was a participant in all of the original Glidden Tours.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest cben09

I wasn't to the Glidden revival,,,but the men I mentioned/my friends/were there,,and the storys told ,some-same, some -a new one,,told for some time in Joe an' Wilma Knowles kitchen,,,the coffee pot was legend in its time, B,J Pollard calender on the wall,,After more people got to know the "kid",,I got to hitch a ride with some member,,One such memorable ride was to Raceland in Joe's 1915 White truck,,the one that raced Rod Bloods 5ton Packard truck,,,,Joe in a mad dash to mount the front seat,,struck the steering wheel hard,,,,RIGHT where his pocket and a handfull of "strike annywhere wood matches ,,,oh my,,Pants on fire,,much jumping round,,hot,,flame inside,,got that out ,,mount again,,in gear,,,,roarrrrr off,,Rod won as he and Bob Townsend[mercer rab] had disconnected the gov'nr the nite before,,,Was a hot and fun day,,,Ben / ps it was a 14 mi ride to Joe's house on my 1speed Columbia bike

Edited by cben09
omission (see edit history)