MrEarl and the 1954 Buick Landau

MrEarl

This week I had the greatest 1954 Buick experience of my life. A couple of weeks ago my friend Bob Coker from Winston-Salem North Carolina purchased the one of 1954 Buick Landau at the Amelia Island RM Auction. He invited me up to see it and and that's all it took for me to take off the first day of work that I could, and my son Jordan and I headed up there. I have never seen it in person and believe me pictures do not do this car justice. It is the most stately automobile I have ever seen. This car was designed with high society in mind.

Stealthbob offered to put some of my pictures on a video so I sent them to him.

This he says is his personal rendition of when MrEarl visited the 1954 Buick Landau. Here is his personal note that accompanied the link.

Think of this one as one from the view of all of us passionate 54 lovers knowing how special it must have been for you....we were all there with you.

I was very touched to say the least. Thanks Bob!!!!

click here MrEarl having the Time of his life! on Vimeo

note: when it opens, click the four arrows in a square at the bottom of the video screen to see it full screen.

more to follow:)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Stealthbob did indeed do a great job. He spent I don't know how many hours getting it JUST RIGHT.

Mr Coker, I'm sure you are getting tired of hearing this, but THANK YOU again for opening up your garage to my son and I and allowing us to enjoy to the absolute fullest this beautiful automobile. It definitely has a great new care taker.

Edited by MrEarl
to correct spellin (see edit history)

Mr Coker, I'm sure you are getting tired of hearing this, but THANK YOU again for opening up your garage to my son and I and allowing us to enjoy to the absolute fullest this beautiful automobile. It definitely has a great new care taker.

Yes I second that...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful car. Maybe one day soon I too can have the "Time of my life" and get to see the Landau in the metal.

I also want to thank you Lamar for sharing your pictures for all of us to enjoy the landau's beauty, I feel honoured you asked me to put them together. It must have been a special day and to be able to share with your Son, it just makes it all the more special.

So what I want to know now is....Bob you gonna try to make those 55's look better now by cutting the back window out and make them Landau's? Pfffft...just get it over with and graft 54 clips on them all, you just know they are nicer right? :D

Author of "GM's Motorama" -David Temple (the foremost authority on GM Motorama vehicles)- has recently discovered from a reliable source that the 1954 Buick Landau Motorama car was also used as a family car by Harlow Curtice and his family while in New York City. David has given me permission to post this information on this site in his ever continuing research efforts on Motorama vehicles. Of course Mr. Curtice was President of General Motors from 1953 to 1958. Apparently the Landau carried the "First Family of GM" in high style while in the "Big Apple". This fact alone should move the Landau up another notch on the "ladder" of Buick automotive history! I doubt that any other Motorama vehicle had the privilege of serving in a similar capacity. How are we doing on the "excitement meter" about this great automobile? For me it is off the charts! From the Curtice family to an encounter with Mr. Earl, this Motorama car has had quite a ride in the automotive world! Charles D. Barnette

Guest 53Nailhead

Outstanding!!

Lamar you look pretty good behind the wheel & 'Young Mr. J' looks pretty darn comfortable riding in the back :D

Congrats Lamar, what a great experience for you & Jordan to share!

And Bob...great job on the video.

AND congrats to Bob Coker, What a Great Buick!

Much has been said about Bob saving this great Automobile and we all know of Lamar's love of the 1954 Buick. Bob, you have given Lamar some memories that will last his lifetime and something he can continue to share with everybody that knows him.

Stealthbob, great job with your excellent presentation of the pictures.

The car is simply Stupendous. I guess to us Buick aficionados, there are no other cars that can compare with this WONDERFUL ONE OF A KIND AUTOMOBILE.

Thanks to all!!!!!

Stevo.

Well, just when you thought you've seen it all, Mr Stealth Movie Producer Bob does it again. This time to the beat of a different drum...or strum of a guitar...

I hope this is helping you all enjoy the car a fraction of what I did.

Bob, this song is for you...look here Mr Dealer, I don't care what it cost...cause I'm de badest cat alive :cool: ;):D

y'all check out that grin on HIS face. :D

Actually I had to practically lift him up and pose him next to the car for the pictures. Somethin about he don't like to be thought of as a show off.

turn your speakers up and enjoy!!! and again be sure and click on the expand to full screen box. (lower right hand corner, box of arrows)

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RZY7KeVFqM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RZY7KeVFqM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Congrats Mr. Earl, I cannot think of a more dedicated 54 Buick man than you that well deserved the "time of his life" in this exceptional Buick. :D To those who made it happen, I lay down thy red carpet before thee. :cool:

Now, everyone get your heads out of the Buick cloud and get back to work. ;) Dandy Dave!

I have to say I was so pleased that Lamar offered those pics for me to try and present them. What a great story board that was to work with. I was able to spend some time with my dad making them, he owned a 54 Roadmaster 76R, the very same that I just got and is really getting into the whole vibe of the hobby. :D

As Lamar said Bob was obviously camera shy because out of the 50 or so pictures there were only 3 of him. You Sir are certainly the "Badest Cat Alive"....I see that Cheshire cat grin ;)

Thanks to both of you for sharing your Buick passion....

I bring good tidings to all of you.

I just received word that Mr. Coker will be bringing his 54 Landau to the 2010 National Event in Ames. Subject to, as Tennessee Ernie Ford said, "God willing and if the creek don't rise".

What a wonderful gesture on his part to share this beautiful piece of history with us.

Man...I wasn't going to go as my Buick will not be worthy of the trip.

I may just reconsider and go anyways...the thing is any money spent will have to come out of my "Buick Bucks" budget. That $500 or so that a trip like that will cost would buy me a lot of parts/services to getting her back on the road.:confused:

This is great news. I do not believe that the '54 Landau has been displayed at a Buick National since the early 1970's, so this is pretty historic.

(Now if we could just get Bortz to bring out the Wildcat I once-in-a-while, many of us could say that we've seen the amazing array of surviving Motorama Buick dream cars.)