Transmission and crankshaft, '71 GSX?

Parts were found in a shed at a property I recently bought; Trans has a plate that says "Super Turbine 400" and bears these numbers; B 68A537 A, and BA 68-11241.

The crankshaft number is 1379242.

The former owner of the property had a '71 GSX. Can anyone tell me if these parts are for a GSX? Or? Any and all help will be appreciated. Dave

Thanks. Is the "68" prefix in the numbers what signifies that the trans. came from a GS 400? From its look, I got the impression that the plate was installed by a rebuilder. Doesn't seem likely the trans would be for just one year, am I wrong? I have now identified the 1379242 crankshaft as being for a 455 (from an ebay listing). In addition to the trans and crank there also is an intake manifold and quadrajet carb, presumably also from the 455. Comments? Any interest in these items? The previous owners GSX ended up with an 800 hp engine. Does that constitute "Stage 1"? The parts are assumed to have been from a milder original configuration of the car. Dave

68 is the model year of the transmission, 1968. BA is for a Turbo 400 installed in a GS 400. There are no differences in cranks or intake manifolds for any 455 in a given model year. They were all the same, whether destined for an Electra or a Stage 1 GSX. The carbs are different between the models and some are worth some coin depending on their model number and date code. Post the numbers off the carb and we can determine what it was installed in originally.

A Stage 1 (in 1970) was factory rated at 360 hp. According to Denny Manner, the engineer whom worked for Buick on the Stage 1 and Stage 2's, the actually dyno numbers for a 1970 Stage 1 was 376 hp. 800 hp seems pretty far fetched for a Buick 455 given the thin-wall casting used for these engines. 800 hp would probably push the crankshaft through the pavement the first time it was stomped on unless many, many upgrades were performed. It would probably be not very street friendly either. Me thinks someone was blowing smoke up someone's, umm, orifice with that statement :D.

Brad, Thanks for the info. Next time I am at the property I will take another look at the carb and report back. When last there, I couldn't see a number or any tag on it, but the light wasn't the best. Where would it be found? As for the engine having 800 hp, I don't totally discount that. It was on the shop floor when I first went there. The venturis were big enough to throw a cat through. Yeah, I'm exagerating. The car had been dragged, but had street appearance. The engineless body was sold, but the mill was kept. The owner said it would spin wheels at 60, and the engine had cost $15K. He was just wild enough for this to all be true.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ge Ferreira

Hi friends,

I have a small Dynaflow transmission # 1189323-10, but do not know which car belongs. Would someone help me identify it?

Thank you very much

Ge Ferreira

Vacaville-CA

Brad, I have the carb here now. The casting number is 17056240. According to the excellent reference you gave, from Cliffs High Performanc Quadrajets, the application year is 1976, it is not for a California car, and Is for Buick with A.T. Date code 2685, and Plant Code ADZ.

Good deal, Dave! The original application was for an Electra 455 and, as you said, from 1976. 800 cfm and pre computer controlled. While it's not a Stage 1 carb, it does have some value to racers. Probably why the last guy had it in the first place.

Hi friends,

I have a small Dynaflow transmission # 1189323-10, but do not know which car belongs. Would someone help me identify it?

Thank you very much

Ge Ferreira

Vacaville-CA

Sorry Ge, I know NOTHING about Dynaflows. You may want to start a new thread with a title something like "ID a Dynaflow for me", or something to that effect. You will probably get more answers quicker that way.

I did try to use google and searched for the numbers you mentioned, but found nothing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
The Super Turbines were an earlier transmission - I thought by '71 Buick was using THMs. The Super Turbines replaced the Dynaflow in the early '60s. My Wildcat has a ST.

ST stood for "Super Turbine." ST400 was only a marketing scheme used by Buick to continue the use of the word Turbine in their transmission line. The ST400 and TH400 are identical internally. Until 1967, all GM lines had their own bellhousings. In '67 the BOP ( & Cadillac) went to the corporate bellhousing leaving Chevrolet with its unique bellhousing. At some point all lines started to refer to the transmission as the TH (TurboHydro) 400.

Ed