Planning To biuld 1939 Lincoln Zephyr coupe from ground up, need information!!!

Guest chrisl

Guest chrisl

Hey my dad and I are looking for a project to do together, and as i always wanted one we are building this a Lincoln Zephyr 1939 coupe!

However we don't want to restore we want to start from scratch and do everything ourselves, yes i know this is a lot of work however it is worth it!

What i am looking for as we will be making the body kit etc etc ourselves is a manual or information somewhere that helps give us measurements that we could work off (rather than guess and hope it works, find out its wrong and have three times more work to fix it). or even people who have or do build similar cars that would be able to help my dad and I!

By the way i am from Australia, so any shops and such from Australia are preferred, however still interested in American shops, simply because of all the shipping and ordering hassle!

Guest Ctskip

Chrisl,

Welcome and enjoy the trip. I am pretty much doing the same as you are doing . We found a 1940 sedan and it needs everything.

Get your self as many books/manuals as you can. The day I found this forum, I started reading the back posts and have found them to immensely informative. I've even downloaded as many pictures as I can that relate to my vehicle. I even go to EBay twice a week and download pictures from there also. Pictures are worth their weight in gold. It's taken me almost three months to read the back posts from this forum that I feel are related to mine and I'm not done yet. From motor parts to floor pans to rubber stuff to trim to interiors to gauge clusters. It's all there just take your time and take notes and keep a log and do lots of pictures. Folks here are very helpful. Join the Zephyr club and get all the past magazines as they are filled with tidbits of information. When asking questions, be as specific as possible . We have to know all about the vehicle (yr, model etc,etc) you are inquiring about. This forum is a wealth of information. Most of your questions can be answered if you do some reading and going back in time in this forum. Great stuff here. I know that without it, I'd be at a great loss.

Ctskip

Couple of questions. Do you mean you are going to start with some flat sheets of metal and are going to form your own body and frame or do you already have a LZ 39 coupe body?. What do you mean by Body Kit. Is this for a scale model car?

Guest chrisl

What i meant is that we have nothing, no chassis, no body, no interior every inch of the car will be built by me and my father!

we plan to either fiberglass or shape and form the metal to create every single car part on on it!

We need to build fenders, bonnet, boot, doors, chassis, the cab of the car, then the interior, seats, dash, floor interior of doors, etc etc...

We plan to from nothing at all build a whole Lincoln Zephyr 1939 coupe!

Hope that that helps to clear up what i need, and what i plan on doing!

and also thanks for replies guys!

Chris

Guest Ctskip

Thats a pretty big nut to chew on there, pal. I wish you all the luck. I'd say take some pictures but I 'd be afraid you'd have to make the camera first. Just pokin fun at ya. That is a really big undertaking you have planned. Do you have a fabrication shop that you own? I trust you are experienced at this sort of fabrication. And I thought I was ambitious,

Ctskip

Guest notnow

Chrisl; You might want to check out " DECO RIDES" in Long Valley ,NJ. They make Fiberglass 39 Bodies .. Look around on their Web Site , They also list "Fatman Fabrications" in Charlotte ,NC that makes a rolling chassis.. The bodies cost about 12K and the Chassis 8k .. Not Cheap,and not complete .. CH

Or at a minimum, start with a junked out '39 sedan. That way the floorpans, fenders, dash, hood, etc., etc., would give you a leg up. I know you want to be creative here, but I suspect fashioning floorpans could get old fast.

Guest petebirtles

Hi Chris, your a very brave man, or talented.

I own a 39 coupe that was sold new in melbourne, australia back in 1939, I bought & brought it to the UK back in 2000.

I still have the contact details for the chap I bought it from, he remembers seeing the car back in 1940, fell in love with & managed to buy it in the early 70's, he then restored the car from the floor up over a 15 year period. So as far as guy's with a good knowledge of 39 lincoln zephyr coupes in australia, he's the guy to talk to.

He absolutely loves talking lincolns too, he's getting on a bit, but is still very clued up. I'm sure he still has a load of info on the cars as well. If you want his contact details let me know.