Mich Plate Fees Increase - Proposed House bill

CarFreak

March 2010 News -

House Bill 5897 proposed by Rep Cushingberry was introduced in February 2010. If passed, it would increase the registration fees by 90% on ALL motor vehicles over the next couple years.

Additionally, 'Historical Vehicle' license plates would change from $30 for 10 years to $30 PER YEAR. New 'Authentic Plates' would also be assessed at $30 PER YEAR.

Please read the Detroit News article in the link and contact Rep Cushingberry AND your State Rep to voice your opposition AGAINST this legislation.

Bill would almost double vehicle registration fees | detnews.com | The Detroit News

A copy of the Proposed Bill is attached, a very interesting and TAXING $$$ read.

2010-HIB-5897.pdf

Y'all need to get on board with this. We're going to see more and more of this type thing as cash-strapped governments who refuse to tighten their own belts look for revenue. Car people unfortunately tend to be considered an easy target. Even though our Vajenya antique registration is permanent, the fee increased by 500% 2 years ago thru legislation pushed by a millionaire legislator who calls himself a "car guy". Yah right, if racing Porsches at VIR makes one a car guy.

What gets me is when they start talking it's either raise fees or cut the budget, the first thing they trot out to the public is cutting teachers and law enforcement, which throws those groups and the public into a panic. It's proven that a lot of the bloat in any government, school system or LE agency is administrative- but you never hear anything about saving money by cutting salaries and perks for the administrators. But they know which buttons to push to get their desired results...

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Guest papaw

Believe me when I tell you everything in Michigan is going up. For the ones of us that stayed here they want us to pay for everyone that left Michigan. All it is doing is forcing more people out! Don't try and explain this to our govenor as she just don't get it !!!

If MI is like NY they charge all these fees and taxes, and give you the illusion that it is for roads and infrastructure then dump all the money into the general fund for other things.

What is your positive alternative? Close roads, Stop Maintenance, Do not plow roads? Fewer people and constant services equals higher fees and taxes? What services are you willing to forgo?

My positive alternative is for the State of Michigan to cut back ineffective and unnecessary programs so that it can operate within financial constraints and not continue to look to its remaining residents for more taxes.

School districts need to be consolidated. Municipalities need to merge and/or consolidate services (police, fire, DPW). Oakland County is a perfect example of way too many separate municipalities - redundant services provided by each. Less communities to deal with will not only save at a local level but State level too.

How many Michigan residents are out of work or took a substantial wage cut? Houses are being foreclosed by the 1000s. Businesses are closing or barely holding their heads above water.

I can't remember the last time I had a raise let alone a bonus. My household income is down, ALL of my expenses are up - utilities, food, gasoline, etc etc.

And when I read the newspaper to hear about the State giving $9.1 million dollar tax breaks to convicted felons to construct sanitation equipment for use in undeveloped countries.... absolutely ridiculous!

I won't even start on the lifetime healthcare and pensions for state politicians.

What is your positive alternative? Close roads, Stop Maintenance, Do not plow roads? Fewer people and constant services equals higher fees and taxes? What services are you willing to forgo?

It is not good enough to be against things without expressing a viable alternative.

I will not even ask what percentage of the money you spend on the hobby this increase represents?

Well said.

There will be more increases like this one, too many for each one to rate it's own thread. There are good resons why. Distressed states like Michigan may have to implement them first, but we're all in for the same treatment.

As I said a year ago on the "New Tax Law on Driving" thread ( http://forums.aaca.org/f133/new-tax-law-driving-258280-3.html ):

Suffice as to say there is some very serious concern about how roads are going to be maintained as fuel consumption declines in the coming years. (I mentioned the coming increases in C.A.F.E. standards beginning in 2011 on another thread and just the mention of them was deamed too political, so I won't here.)

As alternative fuel vehicles, electric vehicles, and high-mileage hybrid vehicles take over as the norm there is going to be a GIANT drop in the funds available to build and maintain roads. That drop has already begun, and is in fact about 2 years along on a steep curve right now. You can bet that SOME form of tax is going to be raised to make up the difference. If it's a simple fuel tax increase (of the type that has always taken place when funds were needed), it means that old cars will be paying a disproportionally large share of the burden. A mileage-based charge was one means, Orwellian or no, to try and prevent that.

My guess is that your license plates are about to become REALLY expensive no matter what kind of car you drive! You can bet that no system that encourages older cars over newer ones will be allowed to stand no matter what happens. Maybe they will just raise gas taxes, as apparently most people here would prefer.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->