1954 Buick Landau - Outcome

progoofoff

I`ve never been much of a `54 Buick fan but ........

The high bidder was a dealer from St. Louis.

With the help of a third party, I was able to negotiate a "finder fee" and purchased it from him.

It will be delivered in the next day or so.

If anyone is interested, drop by and we`ll take a ride.

Bob

Winston Salem, NC

post-30661-143138186492_thumb.jpg

Edited by progoofoff (see edit history)

Outstanding! It's nice to know who owns it now. Did you get any other "goodies" with it, like historical photos, press releases, etc.? I wrote an article on it for the Buick Bugle recently, documenting the reunion of the thermos and cups, and interviewing the son of the original owner, so I feel somewhat attached to it now. I would love to see it at a BCA Nationals.

Bob,

Congratulations! Glad to see it is staying in the U.S. and in the hands of a Buick guy. Take photos of its arrival and whatever else, and I'll do an article on it in the Buick Bugle magazine. The sale and saving of this car is important! Thanks a bunch for keeping it here.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, Texas

Bob, Brian from the Carolina Chapter here. Why don't you bring her down for our Buick show as part of Charlotte Autofair on Sunday of the event. We'd love to have you and such a historic Buick as part of our event. If you are interested let me know!

Brian

Bob, I am thrilled that a senior member of the BCA now owns this car. My local museum had the privilege of displaying the car in 2008. We made sure that the original cups and thermos were reunited with the car. We also presented it with some wheel covers that more closely matched the originals which were stolen many years ago. I hope you receive these items when she arrives! I am going to notify Robert Blair (son of the Buick executive that saved the car) of your purchase. Charles D. Barnette-you now own a national treasure!

Congratulations Bob. As I have already personnaly expressed to you, I am so very happy that you recognized the importance and value of this rare specimen of 1950's Buick history and was able to step up to the plate and purchase it. I doubt that it has sank in just what you do now own. Thanks also for letting me be one of the first to know. I have been beside myself with joy and jealousy since we talked Sunday morning.

It is so good to know it is in the hands of a fellow mid fifties Buick lover that won't just sto it away in a warehouse with a hundred other classics. Hopefully you can indeed bring and display it at Charlotte and/or at future Nationals. I will certainly take you up on your invitation to come up and take a ride in it. In fact please let me know if it needs any cleaning or waxing and polishing. I understand that a little drool mixed in with carnauba wax makes for a great shine. Sorta like a "spit shine". Oh and I have a tent I can bring and set up for a few days if necesary.:);)

Again Congrats and Cheers!!!!

Lamar

As the sole survivor of Buick Executive, Robert F. Blair, who originally owned the Landau dating back to 1959, I am thrilled the car is staying in America. Sounds to me like Bob made an excellent buy! With the improvements Charles Barnett made to the vehicle in '08, if the interior gets restored, I believe this one-of-a-kind Motorama limo has a chance to become a million dollar vehicle. I tried to interest Jay Leno in the car but failed. Thank you again for keeping this truly unique auto in the USA.

Robert K. Blair

Austin, Texas:)

I believe this one-of-a-kind Motorama limo has a chance to become a million dollar vehicle.

Makes that finders fee seem not so bad after all eh Bob? Considering what mid fifties convertible Buicks have been selling for recently, I have no doubt the Landau was a great buy, even with a "finders" fee. Again I commend you for recognizing this car for what it is, overcoming your aversion to 54's :confused: and having the resourses to acquire it.

Bob,

As one owner of a Buick Show Car to now another, congratulations! This is an important part of Buick History that you are now charged with. I am sure you will do everything in your power to maintain and even possibly improve this piece of history. Congratulations once again!

Also... Well bought!!

post-31326-143138187057_thumb.jpg

My Buick friends, I just found out that the new owner of the Landau used to live in Texarkana in the 80s. Of course the Landau was here in Texarkana on display in 2008 for approximately 10 days. So I make the claim boldly that all roads lead to Texarkana! Bob is my new best friend-fate has intervened. Charles-this car is one lucky Motorama car fiercely protected by "The Motorama Gods"!

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Special thanks to Sir Charles Barnette and Robert K for help and encouragement.

It arrived mid afternoon and I don`t like it.......................I love it.

My worry was the thermos and cups would be missing and they were.

After a few phone calls, I find out they hadn`t made it to Amelia Island but still in Houston.

A nice young fella at Classy Classics Cars ( John O`Quinn`s Museum )

promised they would be in the mail tomorrow.

Next stop will be Jenkins in North Wilkesboro for the interior.

Lamar, come on up any time. I do need enough time to get the `55 front clip bolted on.

Bob

post-30661-143138187117_thumb.jpg

Bob, did you get the wheel covers that Charles Barnette had custom made for it?

Jenkins should do a fine job on the interior, which looked a bit worn the last time I saw it. Once restored, it will be up to standard with the rest of the Landau.

Roy,

Yes, the wheel covers were in the trunk. I have extra wheels so I`ll replace the wires that to me have a resto-rod look and install US Royal WWW. I`m 99% sure they were the correct tire or a least that is the tire that was on the `55 66R that I bought new.

By the way, the trunk lid isn`t hinged. It just lifts off and the trunk is removable.

From the little time I`ve had to play with it, I`ve found it runs and drives beautifully.

Bob

Bob,

Lamar,

The `55 clip didn`t fit exactly right, so I`m leaving it as is.

Ahhh, too bad, I was looking forward to buying the ugly ol 54 one from ya. :D

There's been some discussion about restoring the interior. I'd like to say this about that and please all this is just my thoughts and this is just more discussion. I have a great fondness for original interiors and a strong inclination toward retaining them, unless they are in very poor condition. (All my road cars have the original excellent condition interiors). Just knowing or imagining who has driven this car, ridden in and sat on the seats, who's cigar smoke has probably permeated the headliner, whiskey has been spilled in the back floorboard etc etc and most importantly considering this is an original Motorama car and the importance of keeing it as original and correct as possilble I'd have a very hard time seeing the interior removed and replaced with new. (I know bicycle seats are coming to some of your minds:rolleyes:). I've seen pictures of the interior and realize it does have some cosmetic issues and I guess the overwhelming majority would say to replace it. Just not MrEarl. Maybe you could leave it and enjoy it as is for awhile, then have it done. Just some thoughts. :)

BTW, I'm planning on a trip up next week to see ya. I've got the adoption papers drawn up for you to sign. Need any 54 parts? :)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Lamar,

Your point is well taken, however if it had original paint, etc then by all means the interior should left alone.

Since it has new paint, replated bumpers/trim and carpet this would be only to complete the restoration.

You can leave those papers behind. I already have 5 children and all my boys are girls.

Heck, I`ve had female problems all my adult life.

Bob

I gotcha, I wasn't aware of the other items being restored.

Are the seats leather or cordaveen or what. Love the smell of old leather. When do you plan to have the work done. In other words if I come up next week, will I have a chance to sniff them before they're gone. :D

Guest ewing

Maybe save the original seat covers??

Possibly someone would want them, maybe there's another 54 Buick out there that could wear the old seat covers.

Bob graciously has let me know that the original three cups and thermos (The "Holy Grail" of the Landau if you will) have arrived safely in Winston Salem out of the bowels and O'Quinn Estate legal turmoil of Houston! When these items made a "Pit Stop" in Texarkana in 2008, they lived in my bedroom for sometime guarded by me with my life-therefore I feel a special affinity for them. In short they are reunited again with the Landau much to my great relief-"and it feels so good" again. The 1954 Buick Landau exudes out of every square inch of her being beauty and elegance. With her back one third top down on the trunk, she rivals the sporty looks of her Motorama siblings the 1951 LeSabre; the 1951 XP 300; the Wildcats I, II, and III; and the Centurion. However with her top fully up, she exceeds her siblings with a special, unique look of a Buick formal executive limousine fit for Harley and Harlow. I wonder what important Buick executive decisions were discussed and made in the backseat of this "one of a kind" car while used for Buick executives in New York City. Who drank from those cups and handled that thermos and over what brew? There is no way one can put a true monetary value in my opinion on the importance of this car to Buick! When she does appear at her first show under Bob's capable and fateful ownership, expect a spectacular and complete "rolling history" Buick event! Charles D. Barnette-when you get to see the majestic Buick Landau "in person", please at least mentally "bow the knee" in respect.

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)