What is it, Late 30's early 40's coupe back

alsfarms

Hello, Based on several observations, I do not feel this back coupe back half is Plymouth but is Dodge. I do concur, I feel it is 1937 or 1938 Dodge. I have added a couple of pictures that show more close the detail of the SS trim and of the rear fender and mounting holes. The more I think about it, I am leaning toward this coupe half being 1938. If any late 30's Dodge owners read here, please help me confirm the ID of this old body part.

Thanks, Al

post-38570-143138183403_thumb.jpg

post-38570-143138183406_thumb.jpg

One more side note on this coupe back half and the mystery of the hand bar across the back window. My observation and story, giving consideration to my area, is that this car was used as a brush buggy or hunting buggy. The trunk lid was probably removed allowing hunters to stand in the back for quick and easy shooting. The bar was installed to give the shooters something to hold on to. So what would we be shooting? The rest of the story is our area is agricultural and we are inundated with rabbits, in a SERIOUS fashion, to this day. The car was probably chopped up later with this half of the car discarded. So, now you have my idea about the mystery of the hand bar at the rear window. Any other ideas or potential stories?!

Alan

I just remembered, the taillights on 37-38 Mopars were still on stands. In 39 they put them flush in the fender. I saw a pic of a 39 Plymouth conv. coupe and it had that chrome piece and the bead on the fender. I'm going to lean you away from the 38 Dodge, alsfarms, and go with the 39 Plymouth,final answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked at lots of pictures now and am sure this Coupe back half is from a 1937-38 Chrysler product. The fenders, trim, door shape and provision for pedistal type tail lamps lead me to that determination. Who has a spare trunk lid for this coupe back half? I would like to purchase one or a rumble lid.

Regards, Alan

Guest elmo39

i,ll go along with keiser , i don,t think its 37 or 38 , my guess is 39 plymouth , the rear quarter windows on a plymouth were different to a dodge desoto or chrysler

That must have been a very popular past time out your way. I was offered a 1932 Ford Tudor that was a former bunny chaser. It had a hole cut in both quarter panels that allowed the shooters a step to get in the back seat area after the top bows were removed.

Hello All....yes rabbit hunting is a big thing in our area of the west, still to this day. I see several of you still suggest that the mystery coupe back half is 1939 Plymouth. I don't see it??? The rear fenders look different to me. If anyone has pictures of a 1939 Plymouth coupe please post so we can compare. So far I am sticking with the idea that the back half is from a 1937-38 Dodge. It can probably interchange with same year Plymouth, if you remove the trim. Speaking of trim, the pictures, of a 1939 Plymouth, have the trim being shorter on the rear quarters than what the mystery body has. I am not real sure on the interchange with Chrysler or DeSoto as they have longer wheelbases. I guess it depends where they made up the length? Pictures would sure help, or exact measurements of the rear quarters. The mystery back half does have pedestal tail lamps. One more question, how common were the rumble seats in this body type?

Al

The more I look at the close up of the stainless, the more I think it is a '39 Plymouth (I had a '39 coupe and I remember the stainless profile looked just like the car in question's stainless profile). Here you go, alsfarms...the first photo is the rumble seat version with the step pad.

post-37352-1431381916_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138191606_thumb.jpg

Hello Keiser31, I can see where you would maybe think 1939. They, 1937-38 and 1939 Plymouth must all be very similar. As a result of your suggestions, I also went hunting on the internet, for pictures, and see that the 1939 Plymouth coupe has external trunk hinges. The mystery back half has internal and unseen hinges. I guess I still lean towards the 1937-38 vintage and probably Dodge. Give me your thoughts on the trunk hinge idea.

Al