55 Century Carb question

buick840

I've picked up a 322 to go in my 55 special but it is missing the 4brl Carter Carb.

My question is, after looking at a couple of sites, what carb should I be searching for?

I've come across two Id numbers for a 55 Carter Carb, those being 2197S and 2358S.

The 322 came out of a 55 Century with Dynaflow and I will be using it in my 55 special with the diff and torque tube also from the Century but the Dynaflow that is currently attached to the 264.

So any help in identifying the right carb for the motor would be appreciated.

Is a 56 Century carb going to work the same for me if I found one?

Of course if someone has a good carb to suit my 322 please email me at buickman@bigpond.net.au

Lastly...........this has been discussed before but if those that know can confirm for me that my Dynaflow on the 264 will be a straight swap onto the 322 I'd appreciate it.

Regards

Edited by buick840 (see edit history)

You will have to use the timing chain cover and the water pump off of the 264 to go on the 322.

That is incorrect. (edit: you would have to change the timing cover if the 322 came from a 56 since the transmission cooling is different) Both the 264 and 322 blocks are identical externally. Internally the only difference is the cam and pistons (and associated bore). The dynaflow transmissions are identical as long as it is from a 40 or 60 series. The standard rear axle ratio for the special with dynaflow was 2.6:1 and the century was 3.4:1 (later 3.36:1). The 322 will work well with the 2bbl carb and manifold from the 264 and will actually give better low speed and seat of the pants performance than the 4bbl since it flows better than the primaries of the 4bbl. The carter wcfb 2197s was used on the early production 322's in 55 and the 2358s was used on the late 55 and 56 engines. The intake manifold on these late engines also have an exhaust track matching one in the base of the carburetor so you cannot use the 2197s with this manifold; but you can use the 2358s with the early manifold.

So it sounds like you are good to go and start smokin' the tires on that special.

Willie

Edited by old-tank
thought of something else... (see edit history)

If your having troubles finding the correct carb, you can install the Edlebrock 500 cfm carb on the car. You will need the edlebrock adapter plate to match up the bolt pattern, Run the starter wire from the carb up under the dash and install a heavy duty horn button and your good to go. You may just find it works so well you will want to leave it on the car, and keep the original in a box.

The standard rear axle ratio for the special with dynaflow was 2.6:1 and the century was 3.4:1 (later 3.36:1). The 322 will work well with the 2bbl carb and manifold from the 264 and will actually give better low speed and seat of the pants performance than the 4bbl since it flows better than the primaries of the 4bbl.

Willie, you certainly know your 55's.

As I already have a rebuilt 2brl for the special I like the option of using it and the intake on the 322. I just assumed to 4brl would give more performance/power but you indicate that the 2brl would out perform it in take off performance .....correct?

What about cruising and overtaking performance? any ideas how that would compare as I intend using the Century rear end with the taller ratio (not sure which it is 3.4:1 or 3.36:1)

I think the mention of a 1956 may have confused Airy Cat as he is typically right on on the subject.

here's a rebuilt Carter 4 barrel on eBay, not sure what #

Stock Carb 1956 Buick Nailhead 322 Super Special Carter : eBay Motors (item 220564285485 end time Mar-07-10 14:43:50 PST)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Willie, you certainly know your 55's.

As I already have a rebuilt 2brl for the special I like the option of using it and the intake on the 322. I just assumed to 4brl would give more performance/power but you indicate that the 2brl would out perform it in take off performance .....correct?

What about cruising and overtaking performance? any ideas how that would compare as I intend using the Century rear end with the taller ratio (not sure which it is 3.4:1 or 3.36:1)

Brian

I made a typo earlier: the rear ratio of the special is 3.6:1 not 2.6:1 and I would use that rear to get better seat of pants performance. The only time you might miss the secondaries of the 4bbl is high speed wide open performance. Try it, you can always change later.

Willie

• 4 years later...
Guest sfriend100
If your having troubles finding the correct carb, you can install the Edlebrock 500 cfm carb on the car. You will need the edlebrock adapter plate to match up the bolt pattern, Run the starter wire from the carb up under the dash and install a heavy duty horn button and your good to go. You may just find it works so well you will want to leave it on the car, and keep the original in a box.

Any ideas on which Edlebrock 500 cfm might be best, 1400 series, 1800 series? Need a carb on my 55 intake. No problem wiring the start function to a button under the dash.