1932 REO Royale convertiable coupe

Guest king_of_ctown

Guest king_of_ctown

1932 REO Royal convertiable coupe for sale. I would say its at least 85 to 90% restored with only minor things keepin it from beein fully restored. I would appreciate some input on history as well as pricing information on this car. From what i've read there are only three actually registered cars of this description. Please let me know what ya'll think

JS

Guest king_of_ctown

Ok then. Any chance of knowing who i might get in touch with on finding out more about this car? From what i've heard and read its a very rare car not easily found. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

JS

As always pictures tell a thousand worlds. Did you just buy this or did you inherit it? Partially finished restorations are not necessarily good for selling but this is a very desirable car. Hopefully the quality of the restoration is commensurate with that. The Victoria we were discussing in the other thread is no where near as valuable however for top dollar the work has to be concours level and there can't be any missing pieces. Poor work and missing pieces this would still be worth more then a nicely restored Victoria in my opinion.

1931_Reo_Ad-03.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Guest king_of_ctown

By partially finished im talking about just polish and shine type stuff. The car is all original and runs and drives. I have plenty of pictures just trying to figure out how to post them oin this thread. Anyone interested should let me know. Thank you.

JS

I have plenty of pictures just trying to figure out how to post them oin this thread.

JS

It's easy. On the bottom of the "post reply", you can choose "go advanced", do that and then look for: "manage attachments". Click that to get the window to pop up with a form that has multiple "BROWSE" boxes. Click a "browse" and it will allow you to uplink a pic....or do several

Guest king_of_ctown

Like i stated in the other post, i have had the car appraised by two different gentlemen. The problem im having is that neither knew as much about the car as i was wanting to know. They both gave their opinion and pricing but left me wanting to know more. Im looking to sell this car for anywhere between what they appraised at and what i have found others going for. Taking off some for the fact that there is still little doo-dads that need to be done. Thank you.

JS

Are you sure about the model of this car? It appears to be the same body as the Flying Cloud. I have a Franklin Olympic convertible, which is essentially a Reo Flying Cloud with a Franklin engine. The only reason I am questioning it, is that I always thought the Royale convertibles had landau irons on the top as shown in the ad posted above. It's hard to tell from your photos, but the car does not appear large enough to be a Royale. Does it have a six or eight cylinder engine?

post-48034-143138177317_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143138177318_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143138177321_thumb.jpg

I photographed this '31 or '32 REO Royale Conv Cpe at the Auto 100 Parade and Show in Detroit in 1996.

31_reo_royale_111914.jpg

Larger, click once after opening to enlarge.

For what it's worth, the Old Cars Price Guide (Feb, 2010) lists a number one '32 Royale

Model 8-35 Cvt Cpe at $150,000 (seems rather low). The '32 Flying Cloud Model S is

priced at: Std. Cvt Cpe, $35,000; Spt. Cvt Cpe, $36,000; Deluxe Cvt cpe, $37,000.

Based on that, expect to pay at least 3-4 times the price of a Flying Cloud for a Royale...

That is, if you can find one. Really beautiful automobiles.

TG

Guest king_of_ctown

Ok now im really confused. I thank you all for your help. If you can i would like to know more about the car as well as what i should do from here. Like i said both people i had look the car over even assumed it was a royale but they were probably just goin on what was on the title. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JS

If those were professional appraisers that told you it was a Royale then you should ask for your money back. Do you have any better pictures? Engine compartment, interior? Also, do you know the history of the car? It's hard to determine condition from your photos although it looks like an older restoration or mostly original car. A true original car that is usable has more value then an older restoration. Although it's not a Royale, conv coupes on any chassis are very collectible. The bad part is that it's more like 10s of thousands of dollars for the value as opposed to 100s of thousands with a Royale.

JS,

The easiest way to determine what you really have is to measure the wheelbase,

and share with us any VIN #'s or better yet, any body tag ID's.

Flying Cloud, Model 6-S, 117" whb, Serial # 6S-1-704 to 6S-1509. began April 1, 1932

(The range of Serial #'s is for all 2nd-generation Flying Clouds, not just Conv Cpes).

There were no 1st-generation Conv Coupes.

Hope this helps,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Well, you asked for opinions.... Looking at the pics, I see a car that has sat outside long enough for someone to mow grass "around" the car ?? and I think the paint looks a bit dull from exposure?? I can't see this being a #2 car by any stretch, so there is no sense in comparing this Clould to a top-end fresh #1 resto like the other car in the link was.

Today's market for a less than perfect , but very rare car in a desirable body style, is dropping since the start of the year.....and it does not seem like it is slowing down. Just my opinion.

Guest king_of_ctown

I appreciate all of the help from you gentlemen. After a great deal of help and insight from Mr. George Albright i have been able to verify that this vehicle is a 1932 REO Flying Cloud. Again I appreciate all of the help and information forwarded my way. Thank You.

JS

Guest Gump159

If I recall correctly, the Serial number is stamped on the top frame rail, left side of the engine compartment. 6S1 to 1509 is 1932 It is possible this car is a Royale 6...serial number will be 7S-100 and up, I don't think very much has been published about it.

If it is a Royale 8 the serial number will be 35N 2712 to 35N 2875.

Always glad to talk REO Royale.

If I recall correctly, the Serial number is stamped on the top frame rail, left side of the engine compartment. 6S1 to 1509 is 1932 It is possible this car is a Royale 6...serial number will be 7S-100 and up, I don't think very much has been published about it.

If it is a Royale 8 the serial number will be 35N 2712 to 35N 2875.

Always glad to talk REO Royale.

Did they make the Royale six in 32?

Btw, have you sold yours yet? How about some pictures? :)

Guest REO&packard

Currently owning a 33 Flying Cloud S2 and a 35 Royale 7S I can assure you that the car in question is not a 7S model. The 7S was only built in 35 and was the only Royale with a REO built 268ci 6cyl!

I might guess it to be an 8-21 or 8-25 Flying Cloud, the only Flying clouds offered with a Continental straight 8 branded with REO. BUT....... I have never seen one or have ever heard of one built! It is most def Pre-1931

Edited by REO&packard (see edit history)

This brochure/mailer from Walter Miller's shows the second-series '32 REO Flying Cloud, which ran from April 1, 1932 to July 13, 1932, when the '33's began. At least that's the dates my infallible Red Book (Nat'l Used Car Market Report) quotes, and their data is almost gospel.

That short production span explains the scant run of S1-S1509 cars produced for the '32 second-series. The '33 Serial Numbers began at S1510; the Red Book also lists the following as '33 models; S1128, S1130, S1131, S1206, S1236, S1247, S1298, S1300, S1307, S1360, S1476, S1478, S1481, S1486, S1487, S1489, S1498, S1503, S1504, S1505, S1506. Whether these are holdovers from '32 sales or leftover chassis/motors from the '32 range is for others to explain.

In all this, I'm not questioning the expertise of others more knowledgeable, just reporting stats from a comprehensive, contemporary source. This has turned into a pretty fascinating thread, and, more than ever, the Serial Number of the '32 Conv Cpe in question needs to be known (and shared), for the benefit of the owner, and for those of us following these posts.

TG

• Thanks 1

After a little digging, here's the brochure's 1932 Flying Cloud 6S Convertible Coupe,

compared to the real car...

32_reo_fc_red.jpg

32_reo_flying_cloud_cnv_cpe.jpg

Curiously, the rendering shows forward-opening doors; production change or artistic license?

The '33 drawing below shows the doors as in the '32's brochure illustration...

And the '33 Flying Cloud Six, Model 2S, with its skirted front fenders, began Dec. 26, 1932...

33_reo_fc_cnv_cpe.jpg

Now the plot thickens, and we've got to get the answer!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

I think the 32 brochure is a pretty good match for the car in this thread. There was always quite a bit of artistic variation between the renderings and the actual cars. This falls well within those boundaries in my opinion. The serial numbers would certainly clear this up quickly.