1910 Model 17 Buick

Mark Shaw

Information on this car indicates it was restored just prior to 1985 by a

gentleman who</ST1:p altered it to make it more drivable for the

transcontinental tours. Ray Graber had it for a number of years. The only thing I think he did was to have his brother build a new set of wheels for it.

Seller purchased the car a couple of years ago, & replaced the alternator,

battery, rebuilt the BB1 carb, and put 2 new tires, tubes and flaps on the

front wheels. I believe Ray Graber had already replaced the rear tires.

Changes made to the car back in the 80's included a mid-60's Chrysler rear

end and hydraulic brakes, a T10 (I think) 4 speed transmission, connected so

as to use the standard outside shifter of the car. The clutch is modern

also. A starter was added. The radiator is modern, with a screen over it

to look like an original one. Most people don't catch that when looking at

it. The car is very modern to drive. Seller never had to use 1st gear, he

starts in 2nd. At a recent 3 day tour in Canada</ST1:p, the car would be pretty

comfortable at about 45-50 mph. It would stay with the 14 Cadillacs on the

tour. On the hills, it was slightly faster than the Cadillacs with the 2speed rear ends.

Seller paid $40,000 for the car plus shipping, licensing, alternator, 2 tires,

etc. and is pretty firm at $40,000. Contact Dick at rrash@comcast.net

post-41092-143138173492_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138173496_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138173499_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, I remember, and feel it is the same car also. I too wonder if the car sold. While it's been modified, it still seems like not a bad buy for a desirable touring car. Finding the original parts is the problem, as I'm sure we discussed. The Model 16 and 17 share major mechanical components, there are differences of course and many fittings and brackets are clearly marked with parts numbers, including the 16 and 17 identification.

All told, I've accounted for about 45-50 Model 16-17 Buicks surviving, and it's about half and half on each model surviving.

Great tour cars. There are known "weakness" areas. Water pump is mounted on side of engine and if seal leaks water gets into crankcase. Driveshaft can be a problem. Lugs on cylinder jugs are thin, and can break, there were new jugs recently made that solved this problem. Crankcase itself is an aluminum alloy, prone to cracks, there were also new crankcases made not long ago to replace (a friend once told me that there are only two kinds of crankcases on a 16/17, those that are cracked, and those that are getting ready to crack).

Great cars.

Yes, it sold to another HCCA member in Bellingham WA.

Skip Carpenter made patterns for a beefed up crankcase for these engines, and he may still be able to have new ones cast.

Virtually all the old engine jugs are prone to have cracked or broken mounting ears. However, IMO the primary cause of breakage is good intentioned owners adding gasket material under the jugs. Believe it or not, kite string is all that is needed to seal the jugs to the crankcase. Adding gasket material significantly increases the space between the case and the jug and often causes the mounting ears to crack or break off.

Mark, you're correct on the gasket material. I'm getting ready to put mine back together, and I was told use a piece of notebook paper for a gasket, as that's thin enough.

Glad it went to a good home, they're wonderful cars............

• 10 years later...
On 3/26/2011 at 10:47 AM, trimacar said:

The Model 16 and 17 share major mechanical components, there are differences of course and many fittings and brackets are clearly marked with parts numbers, including the 16 and 17 identification.

All told, I've accounted for about 45-50 Model 16-17 Buicks surviving, and it's about half and half on each model surviving.

Yes, this is a very old thread.  I just updated the roster of known surviving 1909-1910 Model 16 and 17 Buicks.  There are now 59 cars positively identified, roughly half and half between the two models.

If you have, or know of one, which might not be on my list, please let me know.  If you are an owner of one of these models, and have not seen the list, please contact me and I can share a roster with you.  At this point I am only sharing with owners, either verified on my list or newly identified.

There are a half dozen or so cars that show up in the 50s and 60s as being used, but they can't be positively identified now.  One such just popped up as going to the Hershey auction this fall, if anyone could share the current owner with me, please send me a private message, I have some questions about the car.

thanks David C.

• Like 1