Does anyone know the driver

Richard Lichtfel

According to History of The Indianapolis 500 by Jack Fox Pg 152.

In 1949

Car #10 Driver: Charley Van Acker; Car name: Redmer; Entrant: Geneva Van Acker; Engine: Offy, 4 cyl, 270 CID; Chassis: Stevens; Colors: Red, White, Silver; Qualifting speed: 126.524 mph; Started: 8th position; Finished #32 * Was wrecked on NW turn at lap 10. *Some kind of strange providence, car 10 wrecked at lap 10??

I don't see a Van Acker or Redmer in any later races listed.

Stude8

Guest Bob Call

Can't say for sure whos is in the car pictured, but, a quick search for Walt Redmer Indianapolis Race gave some insight. A car carrying #10 was sponsored in the 1949 Indianapolis 500 by Walter Redmer and Geneva Van Acker and driven by Charles Van Acker. The car was a Stevens chassis with an Offenhauser engine. It started in 27th position in a field of 33 with a qualifying speed of 126.524 MPH. It finished in 31st position crashing in turn 4 after completing 10 laps. Their share of the prize money was $1,615. This car also was in the 1950 Indianapolis 500 again driven by Van Acker. The Wikipedia entry is in Italian so I can't understand it. Best I can tell they did not make the qualifying cut for the 33 car field. A Walter Redmer sponsered Stevens - Offy was in the 1948 Indianapolis 500 driven Van Acker, but, carried car #4. It could be the car was assigned #10 by USAC in 1948. Anyway, in the 48 race they qualified for 12th starting position at 125.44 MPH. They finished in 11th position being black flagged in lap 192. The share of prize money was $3,120. Van Acker was a Belgian born in Brussels March 14, 1912 and died in South Bend, Indiana, May 31, 1998. Van Acker drove a Preston Tucker (Tucker automobile) sponsored car in the 1947 500. He started in 24th position, 121.049 MPH, and finished in 29th position crashing on lap 24. Prize money $650.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Thank you for the information. Walt Redmer was my wifes great uncle, he lived in South Bend and had a small chain of automotive parts stores. He said they raced twice at Indianapolis but it just got too expensive so he droppd out. He had the car in his garage in South Bend and I saw it there in the mid 50's. I wanted to buy it from him but he said he was planning on making it into a drirt track car. He never did and when Walt died, Ellen his wife, donated the car to the Indy museum. I have learned that the museum sold the car to someone in Michigan that has restored it.

Thank you. RHL

• 4 years later...
Guest thboston

I am looking for information regarding my grandfather. He was a mechanic that worked on the #10 car at the Indianapolis 500 in 1946 (I believe). Redmer Automotive was the car owner or something like that. His name was James Strahan from South Bend. I am looking for information and maybe even a picture. My grandfather passes away many years ago and my father would really love to find the picture of my grandpa standing next to the #10 car. If you can help or know someone you can, I would appreciate it.

Thboston