automatic choke

Guest jmdelapp

Guest jmdelapp

I am trying to sort out the operation of the stock automatic choke, there is an electrical lead that goes to the choke. If I energize this terminal the lever jumps. Does this mean that it is an eletroc magnet and closes the choke. What then opens it after the car is started? Doe it have to wait unitl the car warms for the heat in the coil to open the choke? A second energizing the choke does not make the lever move. Is it set until the temp moves it?

I have a spare choke and tyring to see if it works and re-installing it and removing the add-on hand choke.

Any enligtenment will be appreciated.

Mike D

Hello Mike,

The choke pull-off should only get juice while the engine is cranking. On our 48 and 50 there is one small terminal on the solenoid that is live only while the engine cranks this will pull the choke all the way closed until the engine starts then the choke opening is controlled by a bi-metal strip located in the base of the choke pull-off.

Jay

Guest jmdelapp

thanks

That explains how it works. I now know that the electrical terminal must be wired to the starter so that it no longer has power when the starter is not activated and the bi-metal must hold it in position until it warms.

Do you know exactly where the power was taken from?

Mike, I was just looking at the shop manual for the 41-48 Chryslers and it appears the wire to the choke pull-off should come off the heavy terminal on the solenoid that also has the connecting link between the solenoid and starter motor, this should only be live while the engine is cranking. One of the small terminals is not used for the pull-off as I stated earlier.

Jay

Guest jmdelapp

Thanks for the follow up. I am going to test out the choke and see how well it function. It is pretty rusty. I will clean it and not sure what could go bac.

I'll let you know the results.

I thought I had a source for a shop manual but the phone number is non working. Do you know of a source for shop manuals for early Chryslers?

Mike

Mike,

I would have reponded sooner but was away from home. Traveled almost completely across PA and everything was white, the ground from snow, and the turnpike from salt.

I got my 41-48 manual off ebay it is a reprint from "Crank'En Hope publications" from Blairsville PA 15717 and their phone #412 459-8853.

Did you figure out your choke yet? I got confused about where the pull-off wire connected at the solenoid because it is such a small wire to go to a large terminal. When energized the arm on the choke pull-off doesn't move too far and from my experience the throttle has to be cracked in order for the choke pull-off to work due to drag on the fast idle cam. When cold I usually step on the throttle to reset the fast idle cam then hold it cracked until It starts cranking then let the throttle close this gives more choke effect.

While under the hood energize the pull-off with the throttle closed and then with the throttle cracked and you can see how much easier it is for the pull-off to work.

I have collected a few of the choke pull-offs and when found more often than not they work

Jay

• 3 months later...

I know this is a bit late for Mike but other late readers may get some info from it.

Here are a couple shots as to how my "Sisson" Automatic Choke is wired on my '36 Dodge D-2 4dr Touring Sedan. The wire goes from a side terminal on the starter's electrical switch, around the back of the head and over to the Auto Choke. It is inside a fairly heavy woven loom to protect it from the heat. My Auto Choke is currently connected to a Carter BB carb instead of the original Stromberg. (Many '36 Dodges have the later Carter carbs installed. I suspect it was for improved cold weather starting and possibly was cheaper than rebuilding the Stromberg but that is just a guess).

I am pretty sure this is the same set-up in the Airflow. If not, what the heck. This may be good info for somebody with a non-Airflow Chrysler product from the mid '30's anyway.:D

(Am having trouble attaching the photo files because of system errors. I will try again later.)