Weather or not?

24T42

Judy, I'm of course in charge of weather for all our Tidewater Region functions, but I take winters off so this is outa my hands! However, I did receive an email this morning confirming most forecasts - Wednesday looks rough but the rest of the week looks good. We're still planning an early morning departure from here in Tidewater and are going to head straight into the storm, but we'll just plod along and endure, hopefully arriving in Philly later Pm.

I have found that the NOAA web site has the best info including a map you can enlarge and scroll over to catch weather info all along your planned travel route.

Be safe out there and we'll see you in Philly!

Terry

I came in a day early - just in case and am now at the hotel. Philadelphia did a great job of clearing the roads from the last storm so at least that will not impact tonight and tomorrow's snow. Snow is supposed to end tomorrow evening. Thursday and after is to be clear.

See you soon!

Brenda

Judy, that's the same report we have here in Central-Eastern Virginia. Some freezing rain tonight, turning into snow by late night or morning. Accummulation, possibly 5-6 inches tomorrow, not a big deal here in Virginia. Thursday is supposed to be real sunny, but cold.

As long as the snow fall stays below 10 inches of snow, generally, Virginia does a good job of keeping the interstates open.

My crew is leaving Thursday morning, already got the pretzels. ;)

Still looking for the balloons! :eek::)

(I think it's a woman thing??????:confused:)

Wayne

Guest gmorgan

Sounds like tomorrow morning will be pretty rough in Philly, but as long as they get the trucks out early, things should be cleared up by evening. Word of advice: if you are traveling late, watch out for black ice. It is going to be cold overnight, and things freeze up pretty quickly once the traffic slows down...

I figure by the time we get far enough north the road crews will have made a good effort to clear the major routes. I learned to drive in Michigan and this sure brings back memories! Got my camera batteries charged up-it'll be one to remember. We're traveling in convoy with the Sugermeyers and Bob Stein. We just put some new Michelins on the van today and Neil dug out a pair of antique tire chains from his collection. He says if he doesn't use them he'll put them in the auction!

Brenda, Judy, Wayne-looking forward to a visit with our friends from JC Taylor too.

See you there.

Terry

Folks,

Snowing heavily here in Reading, PA. Expecting 12-18".

Good source for a steady stream of real time driving conditions within the Philly area is:

1060 on your AM dial. Strong frequency all news station out of Philly that you can pick up within 100 + miles of Philly.

Peter.

Everyone that is heading for Philly, please travel safe. Pull in somewhere if the weather gets to rough.

I was just out with my dog, the one that is my AVATAR photo, and it is VERY WINDY and snowing heavily here. :eek: We are about sixteen miles west of Charleston, W. Va. It is windy enough that our motion sensitive security lights keep coming on.

A report from Philly!

First, let me say that my regional member, Ward Sevila, is riding with Mike and me to Philly for his first trip. He asked me yesterday what happens if they cancel Philly! :eek:

I explained to him that they never cancel Philly. Ward does not realize the time, equipment movements, and the effort involved in putting on the Philly show. The SHOW Will Go ON!! :D

In that regard, I just got a call from Earl Beauchamp in Philly giving me weather reports. Earl seems to think that I should leave for Philly today. He even said that Delaware has put out a notice that no personal cars will be allowed on the Interstates in Delaware. :confused::rolleyes:

Now, Earl, you must realize that the Mission in Philadelphia every February is a Godgiven right, and also an AACA right of passage. :confused: Yeah, I know. :o

Anyway, I have a couple large door type police stars, I'm going to put on my Chevy wagon and drive on up tomorrow morning.

"Sir, what's with the pin stripes on your "cruiser"? Officer, this is a special AACA Cruiser of the highest authority, on its way to the biggest indoor show in Antique Land(until Louisville next year). Stand aside!!!!" :cool:

See you guys tomorrow, if we don't get locked up!!!:eek::)

Wayne

Guest gmorgan

Well, the snow is coming down in Philly, and recreational vehicles have been banned on the interstates and expressways. If you decide to brave the weather and drive to Philly today, please be very careful, take it slow, and if you have chains, you'll probably want to have them handy.

Wayne wasn't kidding. Delaware has declared a full state emergency. Only emergency and essential personnel are permitted to be on the road.

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is now operating under a Winter Storm Emergency. The following restrictions apply to all travelers. Speed limits are now reduced to 45 miles per hour on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Trucks pulling doubles or empty trailers are now restricted from traveling in this area. Additionally vehicles pulling, campers, utility and horse trailers are also restricted. In addition All abandoned vehicles are being removed from the shoulder to allow crews to clear snow and ice. The National Weather Service has issued a BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS EVENING for Lancaster county on the Turnpike, which includes the area west of Morgantown exit 298.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We have decided that we are going to Plan B and that is not to try and drive up until Friday. By then hopefully the snow will have stopped, the winds will have died down and the Interstate will be cleared. I have heard that several people that started out today have had to pull over and get Motel rooms. I would much rather wait it out at home. :)

To the few that have made it to Philly - party on!! The rest of us are trying to get there.

Until Friday afternoon ...

Judy

4:15 PM Wednesday: I'm 25 miles west of the city, and snow continues to fall heavily. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the city has more snow this year than Vancouver, and is set for a record accumulation. They should move the Olympics to Fairmount Park! Public transport (SEPTA) will stop bus service today, but the subways will keep running. Center-City gets plowed out pretty fast, and the PA Turnpike and I-95 are well-maintained, so I hope everyone will come!

Phil

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is now operating under a Winter Storm Emergency. The following restrictions apply to all travelers. Speed limits are now reduced to 45 miles per hour on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Trucks pulling doubles or empty trailers are now restricted from traveling in this area. Additionally vehicles pulling, campers, utility and horse trailers are also restricted.

Update,

At 10:30 am this morning, we had a truck traveling just west of Manassas, Va on I66 west bound. There was one lane open but it was very hard to see "where" that lane was. My brother had a snow plow traveling behind him that would not pass the big truck. We should have VDOT decals on our trucks.:D He finally made it to I70 west of Frederick, Maryland, still travelling west at about 2pm. They had blocked off all exit ramps on the interstate, not allowing anyone to get off the highway. What's that all about??:confused: He's shooting for Breezewood, PA to wait for better road conditions.

One of our empty trucks headed east from Ohio was stopped at the PA line as West had indicated. They would not let him on the Pike. We found another load for him, so turned him around headed back to Cleveland, OH. Maybe the PA Pike will feel sorry for him tonight when he comes back through. ;)

As Judy mentioned, as have members stranded in Maryland. I understand that Terry Bond and Neil Sugermeyer were forced off the highway somewhere in Maryland, so they got a room.

I barely got out my driveway for a mail box trip. Told Mike to throw the shovel in the back of my wagon. He'll be on shovel duty tomorrow.;):D

We're looking forward to Philly this year. I suggest that next year, the AACA and Taylor Insurance open the hospitality suites early. We'll all show up on Tuesday or Wednesday. :cool:

Most arrived yesterday, not today, about 10-12 Board Members, AACA Committee members and Hershey support guys and gals from what I understand. Our Hero, Steve Moskowitz arrived yesterday pulling the AACA Trailer full of goodies!:)

Got most of my stuff packed in the wagon, thinking about a couple of cinder blocks for extra weight. :eek:

Wayne

Fran Shore called me earlier today from the Hotel. She and John arrived yesterday. She reported that only a few people were there. As a matter of fact, there weren't enough people for a quorum even at the committee level. The J C Taylor hospitality room couldn't open as the 'refreshments' were stuck in Upper Darby Pennsylvania. Last I heard she was going to the AACA Hospitality Room, which was due to open at 4pm.

Judy

Update - We're here at a Quality Inn in Seaford Deleware on Rt 13. Things were going well until we got near Salisbury Md, then it turned into a full-blown blizzard. As a Michigan driver I can recall only a few times I've been in weather like that. Yes, there's a reason we moved south! By the time we got up near Seaford it was a total white-out and the last ten miles we could only make 10-20 Mph. When you can't see the tracks on the road and can't see the vehicle in front of you, it's time to quit. We pulled into a truck stop for food and a place to check on the situation and caught news bulletins indicating the road ahead was closing. Technology is wonderful - a quick check on Susan's new Droid and we had a reservation. We're with Neil & Marty Sugermeyer and Bob Stein from Tidewater Region. We've got a few other region members checking in who are waiting out the storm back in Salisbury. Snow has slowed considerably but it's still blowing hard. Just peaked out the window and saw a convoy of snow plows, salt trucks, etc moving slowly up 13 so we may get out in the morning.

We'll take it as it comes and hopefully we'll arrive in time to make the board meeting, or at least say something at the Saturday banquet. It's one for the record books - and no, I'm not in charge of weather this year!

On a positive note - we're less than a month now until the Florida meet!

See you in Philly - AND in Florida!!!

Terry

The Richmond Region bunch plans to leave Richmond sometime tomorrow morning. We had planned to leave early but now I guess we best hang around here until we get a road report. It would be very helpful if someone up there would post something tomorrow morning concerning the condition of I-95.

Thanks and be safe.

Guest Art Griffin

Three of us from the Cape Canaveral Region were scheduled to fly from Orlando to Philly on Thursday morning. One of our members is on the agenda to make a presentation on our Youth Development program at the Regions and Chapters Seminar on Friday morning.

But, we just got a call from the airline saying that our flights were cancelled. So, unless we can get another flight into Philly sometime on Thursday, we may not make it. Right now we're stuck.

Art Griffin

As a Michigan driver I can recall only a few times I've been in weather like that. Yes, there's a reason we moved south! /QUOTE]

Well Terry, if it makes you feel any better, in upstate New York we have less than 3 inches of snow. For once the north got a break:D:D:D. We're going to head out in the morning and we're going to go as far as we can get. If everything clears out, we'll be there tomorrow.

Steve Heald called me early this afternoon from Philly. I guess him and Pam decided to leave last night with hopes of beating the storm. They got in shortly after midnight.

With any luck I'll see you tomorrow.

Pat.

PS. 113 days before you come to my neck of the woods!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Art (and everbody)

You can get onto the All News station out of Philly...kwy1060.com

They are excellent and you can listen to it live on your computer. They are 24/7 non-stop Philly news.

Regards,

Peter.

Guest Art Griffin

I followed airline instructions to try to book a replacement flight, and the earliest available flight from Orlando to Philadelphia is Friday night, arriving at the airport around 10:30 PM, which would get us to the hotel about midnight. There are no available flights anytime today. Our region member who is scheduled to present our Youth Development program won't be able to get to the seminar. So, I guess we just can't get to Philly for the 2010 Annual Meeting.

Art Griffin

Guest Art Griffin

I'm glad to hear that the Philly airport is now open. Our airline had such a backlog of customers who were still waiting to get flights that to take care of them on a priority basis they wouldn't give us a replacement flight until late Friday. We tried, both online and by telephone, and we couldn't make it in time to participate in any Friday activities, including the seminar where one of our region members was presenting part of the program.

We didn't feel we had any options at that point.

Art Griffin

Sorry, I missed this Jeff, way to busy to get on-line. Yes, the school did go on and was well attended. The new chips this year have a 75Th logo, really cool.

I will post a new thread probably tomorrow to give my view/rundown of the goings on. (Gotta take the wife out for Valentine's Day). Everyone had a great time.

Wayne

Decided to drive wife's Jeep down Sat morning for the school since my diesel was still sitting up to the door handles in snow at the bottom of our 700' driveway. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I noticed a coolant leak in the Jeep Friday afternoon, too late to repair before early Sat morning so I gave up. Seems I just was not supposed to be in Philly this year.