My Grandaddy's '37 Olds

Hello to all.

I have known about this forum for a while, and was a member a while ago, but have lost my name, password, etc., and so have re-registered just now.

I hope this post is appropriate, not breaking any protocol. Someone should tell me if so.

I am currentlly in possession of my Grandfather’s ’37 Oldsmobile.

He bought it new from Mitchell Motors in Atlanta, GA.

Eventually it came down to my father.

Then to me.

I drove it in H.S., then in college.

Went off into the Army, and when I got out, got me a little sports car with some Army money, and just never went back to driving the ’37.

But my father had a big daylight basement where it has been residing all these years.

And I always thought I would restore it some day.

But here I am 62 y/o and I haven’t done it yet.

So... I guess it’s time to realize that this just isn’t in the cards to happen.

Perhaps the best I can do is to get this car into the hands of someone who would love it, appreciate it, and return her to her glory days, because it was a FINE automobile back in the day (got a picture of my Grandfather standing by it when it was new - outstanding!)

And to that end I was hoping to get some help from everyone here.

The first thing I would REALLY like would be to find a bunch of “Dutch Uncles” on the forum who will chime and and just TALK TO ME about this car.

- what do I have here?

- how’s the best way to go about selling it (here, eBay, another place?)

- what is it likely worth?

- etc.

And, actually, I don’t know if if general, open discussion about the car is truly appropriate for the Buy/Sell forum.

But, on the other hand, I didn’t know if I placed this in the General Discussion forum, if the Administration might think it belonged in the Buy/Sell forum.

So...I flipped a coin :-) put it here, and figured that if there is a better place for the post, someone will tell me, or move it, etc.

Well, here’s some pictures.

And please ask me ANY questions you have and I will try to answer.

Best regards,

James

784032217_hQSKW-L.jpg

784032132_9zYxq-L.jpg

784032149_Jx5Ec-L.jpg

[...to show the red pinstripe mainly]

784032174_xtSxT-L.jpg

[sorry for the out of focus]

784032189_QCajv-L.jpg

Cabin (the original upholstry material remains under those seat covers)

784033640_yruWB-L-1.jpg

P.S. There was never anything wrong with the car. Never wrecked. Straight as an arrow. Always garaged. Not running now, but it was driven into the basement, which is to say everything’s there and fine, just needs to be brought back to life.

Good looking Olds, Looks like it's been well stored and not hurt over it's life time. I would check an Old Cars Weekly price guide as a starting point. It would be available from them on line or at a decent periodical store.

Don't be in a hurry to put a number on it without some more research.

I made that mistake once and had a instant buyer. It's been a member of the family a long time are you SURE about this sale?

Good luck

Guest DeSoto Frank

Looks like it's in fine shape... a great candidate for HPOF (Historic Preservation fo Original Features) Class in AACA. :cool:

If I were in your shoes, I would get it running & driving again, then try to keep it in the family.

If none of the kin-folk want it, then see about finding a good home ( non Street-rod ! ).

All of my grandparent's / parents cars are long, long gone... :(

A great looking Olds! In addition to Old Cars Weekly, I have found the prices listed by Edmunds.com to be fairly realistic.

If you will sell, I would start with an ad in national Olds club magazines:

Journey With Olds (OCA) and Runabouts to Rockets (NAOC). There, you will find potential buyers who appreciate what is being offered, and will not chop it up!

Are there any other members of your family interested in the car? I would love to have my Grandfather's pickup, but its sitting in a leaky shed and a distant cousin won't get off of it.

Family cars are special. Think long and hard before letting go of it, your kids or grandkids might regret it.

Zimm

Thanks everyone.

To answer msmazcol’s question (and others)

are you SURE about this sale?

NO I am not sure about this sale!

Actually, I would really like to keep it. I love this car.

I see myself in it, driving it this place, or that.

BUT...

I have absolutely NO place to keep it.

I have a two car garage for mine and my wife’s two cars.

And live on a piece of property which has no other room to put it ANYwhere.

Plus, I have very little aptitude for such things.

Wouldn’t know where to start “fixing it up.”

Have no children.

A few neices and nephews, but none have any interest in it.

My father’s house is being sold (stepmother) and I have to get the car out.

So, I really don’t know what else to do.

:-(

James

You live in Georgia. Remember how dependable it used to be? It no doubt needs the brakes gone through, gas tank cleaned out, a tune up and some other stuff, to put it back to being the dependable car it used to be. Anything it needs is readily available, probably at NAPA, and certainly through your Olds chain of friends you will develop once you get involved with others.

It won't cost that much to do if you can find an old timey shop or a friendly neighbor to do it. Then, if your not driving huge numbers of miles a day, get rid of the other car, and use this one as your daily driver. Put the real miles on your wife's car when you need to.

This is a far less complex car than whatever you are now driving, and with seat belts and defensive driving it is a safe car.

Parts of the interior look a little rough, and exact reproductions are available through LaBaron Bonney to give you a new interior so you are riding clean.

Get over the idea of a full restoration, this is a preservationist car it looks like and will garner respect if you attend shows with it. They are only original once.

Your present car is probably worth enough to put your Olds back on the road in style.

Keep it and enjoy it, once it is gone it is gone for good.

You need to get a network going with other Olds people. Let the computer be your friend.

Set a bookmark for Ebay for Olds parts and see how much stuff comes up, this will build your confidence. And compare replacement parts prices with your present car and you will see your modern car is no bargain.

Most anything you need for the Olds is an 800 number and two days away.

A new world awaits you. Friends on other continents, states, and towns near you.

Best Regards; Jim 43

I concur with Jim43. Building a network of friends and helpful instructions about this wonderful bit of family history. Try doing that with your current vehicle. I can appreciate your parking situation Mine is the same. I would if I had my grandfathers car, I'd park my newer still depreciating vehicle outside and get the one that gets the thumbs up and smiles and all the attention while you are tooling down the road, into the garage. It's still appreciating even. One of the best part abpout driving a older vehicle is when you exit the stores there is usually a crowd around your car drooling all over it. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Especially when you walk up and put the key in the door and start the motor . It's like parting the Red Sea all over again. If you were to sell your now DD and make this your DD you would save bunches and start a whole nother branch of your life in a great direction. Get her detailed and a fresh new interior with some nice rugs and new set of sneakers with a brake job. There isn't anything better. I'd find a way to keep it, if it were me. Thats my .02 cents.

Skip

Edited by Ctskip (see edit history)

I did not mean to offend in my earlier post. By all means, try to do your best to keep the family car as you will truly regret selling it. There are ways to store and keep up a car that nice without actually knowing how to turn a wrench. Ask around to any elderly folks in your neighborhood who may have cheap garage space until you can afford a mechanic or another car buff to work on it.

Well...thanks to ALL who have responded in the 24hrs or so since my OP.

At first, I was just happy to see some good and helpful comments start:

DeSoto Frank: “a great candidate for HPOF (Historic Preservation fo Original Features) Class in AACA”

While I know nothing about classes or any of this, I certainly get what you’re saying.

D Yaros: “In addition to Old Cars Weekly, I have found the prices listed by Edmunds.com to be fairly realistic.”

Thank you sir. Knew about Edmonds, not about OCW.

But then things took a profound turn for me.

Jim43: “A new world awaits you. Friends on other continents, states, and towns near you. Best Regards; Jim 43”

Oh, Lord, what an inspirational comment. I feel so alone right now, with so much to do and no help at hand. And here’s this guy I don’t know, in New Hampshire! telling me I have friends. Thanks friend.

And more...

Skip: “I concur with Jim43. Building a network of friends and helpful instructions about this wonderful bit of family history... One of the best part abpout driving a older vehicle is when you exit the stores there is usually a crowd around your car drooling all over it. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over. Especially when you walk up and put the key in the door and start the motor . It's like parting the Red Sea all over again. If you were to sell your now DD and make this your DD you would save bunches and start a whole nother branch of your life in a great direction. Get her detailed and a fresh new interior with some nice rugs and new set of sneakers with a brake job. There isn't anything better. I'd find a way to keep it, if it were me. Thats my .02 cents.”

Skip - more of what I said to Jim43. A network of friends? It’s a concept I can hardly imagine right now. And the thought of “warm fuzzies” driving my Grandfather’s car into town? I’m beginning to think that I was about to make a mistake here. There would be a lot of stuff to figure out though. How to get it trailered, where to get it trailered to.

But...Keiser31 tells me:

“There are ways to store and keep up a car that nice without actually knowing how to turn a wrench. Ask around to any elderly folks in your neighborhood who may have cheap garage space until you can afford a mechanic or another car buff to work on it.”

Oh man this is encouraging.

I’ll need to come back to this in the morning when I’m not crying, and see if I can still see this as really maybe happening. But right now y’all have just about given me the hope and courage to try to keep the old ’37, fix it up, and drive it once again.

God bless you all.

James

P.S. Kaiser31, you didn’t offend, buddy. Just my kneejerk reaction to the bigger picture of what all’s happening with my father’s estate.

The main thing is to not look at the "overall" picture. Do what you can, when you can, to solve each problem. To look at all of the tasks at hand (where to put the car, how to get it there, who will you get to help work on it...and so on) is so overwhelming. Just try to solve one problem without seeing them all. It helps me sometimes.

I think you will regret it later if you sell the car. One solution would be to look for a nearby garage you could rent and keep the car. I agree this car should be kept original as possible because of its great condition. Original cars are appreciated a lot more than they used to be. It may not be that hard to get it running. There are some previous threads on the forum about starting a car after sitting a long time. One thing that needs to done it to drain and clean the gas tank before trying to start it.

Guest cardinal905

So sorry to hear you must get rid of her, when my Grandpa died my Grandmother started selling stuff from the barn (He was a farmer) She sold his 50 Chevy dump truck he bought new as well as a MCcormick Farmall Tractor. At the time I did not have the money or desire to take them, she would have given me them probally. In my later years I tried to find both peices and tracked the Chevy to the 2nd owner who said " You just missed it" He had sold it 3 weeks earlier to a guy that stripped it and hot rodded it--the jerk would not even return my calls.

Simple solution; get rid of the wife's car and put the Olds in YOUR garage! Seriously, a '37 Olds sedan like yours was my high school car, and I loved it. My folks made me get rid of it when I went off to college, and I still think of it. I got my first ticket driving it, and another time a cop stopped me for a sloppy turn, and was frustrated because there was no front bumper he could put his foot on while writing a ticket. Believe it or not, he changed his mind and let me go. Could I find room for it? Likely.

Before I moved to Texas, I had a four car garage, I had most of my toys in that garage. The 60 step side Chevy pick up stayed outside she was my DD. I was doing body work on her. With different colors of primer and different color pieces, my wife called her, tie dye. We moved into a nice upscale neighborhood in Texas and my wife says the truck can't come with us. It happened this truck was my DD and I enjoyed it , the looks and the thumbs up. It was pretty cool I thought. I sell and find something else, no problem. So I put her on a friends car lot and we sold her. So I bought a ride that I thought I would enjoy and still be accepted into the hood. I bought a Jeep Wrangler, an older one. Nice with all the options, full hard top, half top no top, full doors, half doors, no doors. Like a chameleon. The wife hated it. She didn't feel safe in the Jeep. I sold it and bought a Mercedes SL , a two seater. This car runs like a raped ape and just is really fun to drive. I have never owned had a "normal" car. I get what I like and if I don't like it I'll sell it and get another. So far this SL is a fun ride, so I'll keep it for now

Moral of the story. Get what you enjoy and feel good driving, life is to short not to be happy.

Skip

James,

Welcome to the AACA Forums and thanks for the interesting story and photos of your 1937 Oldsmobile. I have to admit that I've never seen a '37 Olds like yours...that I can recall, anyway. Very nice streamlined design, very nice condition, and very nice color. Remember, whether you keep it or sell it, it's not just an ordinary car. If you were to keep it and fix it up a little, you could probably never go to a car show with it and find even 2 or 3 cars similar to yours.

I'm not sure I believe your story about how you got the car, though. I think you've got a time machine and bought it off of a used car lot about 1938!;):D:)

Guest Backyardmechanic

James,

I have read this post from start to finish,and every one of them has a point. Now I'll say this:You have ask in so many words "how would i fine a trailer"I ask if you were asking how would you retreive the car from the basement?If so call Triple A service Have the car pick up with a Roll Back car hauler deliver it to your home.This may cost you a few Dollars or if you belong to the triple A you just may be able to get done reasonable.Move a car out of your garage Tempory. Contact the AACA ask for a reagion club near you.attten a meeting join he aaca and the reagion clubs.There will be members that will help you to get the car roadworty. Then advertise for storage space in your local news paper near you home.Or sale one of the other car and enjoy .

I Do hope you fine a way to keep this car.

Vern

Edited by Backyardmechanic (see edit history)

Guest raywilks

what i did for storage a few years back was talked to an older lady on my street who had a double garage and i car. i cleaned out her garage on a couple saturdays, mowed her yard when i mowed mine and paid a small monthly payment year round. i kept a car there for 10 years[not the same car].

maybe you could do something similiar.

I have a 1940 Buick that is all original and I will say I have met more people and had more fun with this car than I did with my Corvette. Have met alot of people on here as well as in town that I would have never met if it were not for the old Buick. It is my daily driver in the summer and can't wait till this snow is gone and the old girl comes back to life. Do what ever it takes to try and keep the Olds as you will find many new and great friends here, and at shows, and just going to the store.

To... just EVERYBODY (too many to respond to each, but to every one of you, really).

You have all been so terribly ENCOURAGING.

And not just in the “rah-rah” sense, but with so much good advice.

- just take it one step at a time

- look for a neighbor or an “old geezer” with space who could garage it for you

- take it one step at a time

- parts are plentiful and not too expensive

- you yourself do not must be a “grease monkey”, YOU HAVE FRIENDS who will help

- insurance is not expensive

- find and join a local Oldsmobile club

- WHEN YOU GET IT FIXED UP AND ON THE ROAD IT WILL BE A GREAT JOY

My first challenge is... I’ve got two, maybe two and a half weeks to get it moved before the house closing. That’s the only “non-negotiable” in this whole deal. But I am confident that I can figure something out. Not sure exactly what, sitting here tonight, but I’m going to start making inquiries tomorrow (where to put it) and I just know I will come up with something.

Then after that, I’ll take a deep breath, come up with a plan, and just start doing what needs to be done - one step at a time.

Thanks for y’alls help so far!

James

P.S. Where’s the place to post:

“Advice and Help Sought Restoring my Grandaddy’s ’37 Olds” :D

If you look a little down on this forum you will find the Oldsmobile forums. Can't think of a much better place to start, for friends, members etc...

And if you don't find what you are looking for there. Come on back here and I feel sure someone will guide you in the proper direction. It isn't all that hard, lust look out your window and check out your neighbors first. Have you looked next door, across the street? Join AAA and see if they will move it for ya. I'm cheap, er ... thrifty. Your driveway will hold her for a while, should it get to that point.

Skip

again, that car appears to only need minimal mechanical attention to get back on the road, I would not touch the body or interior until it was road ready. An inexpensive blanket will cover the seat covers nicely.

Your car is a time capsule of sorts, please do not try to improve what Olds did so many years ago, remember, they are only original once.

take it to a local cruise night or two and talk to the people that will swarm your car

you will have more friends that are willing to help that you will believe

we are all "brothers" in this madness we call a hobby, lean on us, we will come through for you

OK guys, sort of a serious question here.

Seein’s how y’all have inspired me to keep this automobile (thanks),

this “FOR SALE” ad really needs to sort of fade away at some point - doesn’t it?

And then... for some continuing discussion and advice (which I will certainly need and benefit from) as I step through this project, post me a new thread, something like “Help and Advice on Restoring my Grandaddy’s ’37 Olds” ?

Where will be the best place to post it ? ? ?

Where the most eyes will see it?

Papaw suggested one of the Oldsmobile forums.

(“General”? “Technical”? “1897-1966”?)

And while I certainly would want to post something there, it seems to me that SO MANY of the issues and decisions I will be facing will be of a GENERAL nature.

So I was wondering if it might not be at least if not more helpful to post in the

AACA Genera Discussion area.

(“General Discussion”? “Our Cars and Restoration Projects”? “Technical”?)

But I haven’t been here long enough (48hrs?) to have a feel for this.

Could y’all advise where to (re)post as I start this journey?

Really. Not a very sexy question, but something it sure would help me to know.

Thanks!

James

Just my thoughts; I'd do : Our Cars and Restoration Projects.

Yes, it will drop off the first page if you rarely post updates, but I think more people will see your posts in that section that is at the top where more people read.

Your car being mostly original and not needing a full resto might have a lot of interest there. I think a lot of people would like to see a car "conserved" rather than totally restored, to show how it all works out that way.

James,

You are asking some questions that have plagued man for decades. Where can I put it so most will see it?... sort of questions. Put in in several. I do. As with any "free " advice, you get what you pay for. Not all answers will be what you are looking for. You must read all and digest the ones that refer to you and your particular situation and decide which one you choose to apply to your specific situation. All might be spot on, while others aren't and are of no help what so ever. The car is yours , you are doing the work , do what is best for you and your situation. I am restoring a vehicle. Having never done a restoration before, I ask questions and make lists. hundreds of lists, rewriting them over and over, till I've got it down to what needs to be done first. Time consuming, but enjoyable. If it wasn't enjoyable, I wouldn't be doing it. Hunting and locating the materials is also the fun. Half the fun is in the hunt. Not to mention the people you meet along the way. You are fortunate in that you don''t need restoration. Just fuel, spark, and some compression and you are off and running. I hope you realize how fortunate you are. Good luck and get that flat bed to haul your baby home so you can enjoy your new old friend. First things first. Once she's home , time is on your side. A good quality car cover is a good thing.

Once you've got her running, the very next step is checking out the brake situation. A good floor jack and two jack stands are a must have.

Skip

Edited by Ctskip (see edit history)

Guest michael valencia

grandfather's 37 olds.

DO NOT SELL THIS CAR. YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT.

MY 35 OLDS SEDAN WAS STOLEN FROM ME BY A BODY SHOP OWNER THAT CLOSED HIS SHOP AND TOOK ALL OF THE CARS WITH HIM. I'M STILL LOOKING FOR IT.

I WISH I WAS IN YOUR SHOES.

MICHAEL

46 LINCOLN CLUB COUPE

41 CHEVY TRUCK

66 CHEVY MALIBU

67 CHEVY MALIBU

Jams, yes I said try the Olds forum but like it was said you might get more up here. Looking for certain things and Olds tech maybe go to the Olds forum. I have a 1936 Pontiac also and the Pontiac forum proved not very good as not many people on it. My Buick on the other hand the Buick forum has been great! All I can say is try both. Personally I will be following your post as I love the originals. I got talked out of restoring mine as it was to good to touch and now I am glad I did and drive it everywhere. Papaw

How is the moving going? I would antique auto insure the car with one of the companies with liberal driving allowances and license it. Then, all you have to do is get it going. That is what I do, two things to easily do and get a real mental jump on the project. It also keeps you covered right from the start, legally. If your state is restrictive about what an antique plate licensed car can be used for , I would go with a regular license plate registration. Jim43

Hello All,

To quote Julius Caesar, "Alea iacta est."

It looks like I'm doing it folks!

I'm going to haul this baby home and fix 'er up and get 'er running.

It feels a bit scary, but definitely good.

So, I'm "signing off" of this Buy/Sell thread, with great thanks to all who have encouraged me NOT to sell this car, but to keep it and fix it up.

And I have started me a new thread in the "Our Cars and Restoration Projects" forum, under the name -

"My Grandfather's '37 Oldsmobile" (slight change, important difference to me)

I'm sure I will be in continuing need of your advice, information and encouragement, so I REALLY hope all y'all will find your way to that thread, maybe subscribe to it, follow my progress, and talk with me and help me with this project as it moves along.

Tally-ho! [for you Dad]

James

P.S. Thanks for asking how the move is going Jim. It's inching along, but with good prospects. Please see full answer in new thread!

Edited by James (see edit history)

Guest DeSoto Frank

James,

Good luck with everything you're dealing with... as other have said, do whatever you can to keep this car.

If you have to continue to "mothball it" for a while, literally do just that: get some disposable foil pie-pans, place in the front and rear floors and trunk, and fill them with mothballs. Sprinkle some more under the hood. Leave the windows cracked about 1/4".

This will help discourage rodents from taking up residence in the car, especially if it's parked out doors or in an open shed.

Lots of help and encouragement here... keep in touch !

Frank

James, congratlations on your good decision to keep the Olds. From its appearance and the very favorable environment in which it has been stored, it doesn't appear to be a difficult one to bring back. (Hope for the wife's sake you didn't really kick HER car out of the garage as I had facetiously suggested!)

Here are a couple recollections I have from the late 1940's when a '37 Olds sedan just like yours (albeit a klunker) was my high school car. After I started using it I discovered the radio had a peculiarity in that it would only play while stopped or momentarily during right hand turns, no kidding. What was causing this? The wire from one running board antenna to the other one was hanging down and rubbing on the drive shaft! Another drive shaft-related happening occurred when, as I was driving along there was suddenly much noise and pounding from beneath. It was caused by the fact that it had a 2 piece drive shaft, with a center u joint cushioned in a large rubber mounting. The rubber had died. I'll leave you with one more; one very cold winter night the Olds horn spontaneously blasted away at about 2 am. The cold had shrunken the plastic surrounding the horn button and squeezed it inward.

I hope you have all good experiences with yours, at least good enough to laugh about later, as I had. Good luck.

Guest wsturgeo

Looks like a nice solid car. Some answers to your questions:

- what do I have here? - Probably a #5 (Restorable) or #4 (Good) rated car.

- how’s the best way to go about selling it (here, eBay, another place?) - Craigslist is a free venue to sell your vehicle though you will likely encounter some scammers. Many people know how to search Craigslist nationwide. I'm not suggesting Craigslist is "best", but it is free and reaches a broad audience. eBay is also a good choice but I recommend you have experience with the process.

- what is it likely worth? It may be worth $2,000 - $3,000. A #1 (Excellent) car might approach just over $14,000. Of course this is based only on your pictures and description of the vehicle. This particular body style is the least desirable of the 37 Oldsmobilies.

Those encouraging you to keep the car original are giving you practical advice. Restoration would only be practical for those willing to accept that the cost of restoration, will likely exceed the value of the car.

Good Luck!

Bill

Bill,

Your last line gave it all away

"the cost of restoration, will likely exceed the value of the car".

I have to ask, when doesn't it?

Lets talk about the value of the 37 Olds to James?

There basically two values, tangible and intangible. This is not just any 37 Olds to James. It is chuck full of family history. Without it, he would of void of many of them. You just can't put a price on family memories. To us it's just another 37 Olds, to James it's much, much more than that. You just can't go down to the local car store and buy memories like this. Priceless is what it is to James. Priceless. I wish I had my grandfathers car. The very one that he put his hand on the door handle, the very same door handle that I can reach out and touch. Maybe I could even catch a smell of his scent, Then, to be able to put my hands on the steering wheel where he had his hands. To look out the same window he looked out. To tune in the same radio he listened to, would be such a great feeling, I can't describe it. I get sloppy just talking to the few photographs I have of my ancestors. Thinking they can actually hear me. But being able to hold something in my hand that they held in their hand, would be a treasure I would never let go of. Money can't buy that. Again, priceless

Skip