rotisserie for a Zephyr

Guest Ctskip

I have been stripping a 40 sedan and trying to plan ahead for the finish of the undersides. The car is mostly stripped and not much more to go. I was thinking about repairing the floors in a few spots and putting her on a rotisserie so I can blast the undersides and por 15 it. Has anyone used por 15 for a finish on the undersides? What other finish would be used if not por 15? I have seen several rotisseries made from two heavy duty engine stands. One on each end, connected to the bumper holes in the frame and connected along the floor to the bottom of the stands themselves. Then I just read about a rotisserie that was in our clubs magazine several years ago . It was something about 3/4 plywood cut in a semi circle and then bolted to the bumper mounts allowing the vehicle to be rolled enough to work on the undersides. That sounds appealing also. Any ideas or new concepts out there? Like I said, just trying to plan ahead. Thanks ,

Skip

post-65857-143138166752_thumb.jpg

Hi Skip,

I also gave thought to the engine stands as a way to rotate the car however I ended up buying a rotesserie. There are numerous plans out there to build your own but by the time you buy the material, have it cut to size, then weld it all together, you really wouldn't save that much. I really see no reason that two engine stands tied together wouldn't work though. Keep this in mind though, I rolled my car in and out of the garage several times myself as well as moved it around in the garage numerous times. I has no trouble moving it alone and it was actually pretty easy. Also, the rotesseire I bought had jacks on each end and it made it very nice to raise and lower the car depending on what I was doing at the time.

One additional thought, rotesseire's have a method that they can be adjusted to various cars so the center of gravity is adjustable. Without that feature, I have no clue how one might turn a car on it's side if it is bottom heavy as my 41 was.

Adjusted, I easily turned my car by myself. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as POR 15 or some other product out there, I used a product called Chassis Saver and I think it is made by Claussen. I sprayed the interior and bottom of my 41 with it and got some overspray on several primered areas. The stuff was almost impossible to remove.

It is available at your local automotive paint store.

Here are a couple of photos of how I attached my rotisserie as well as a photo of the bottom of my car after being painted with the Chassis Saver product.

Tom

post-55048-143138166773_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138166776_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143138166778_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Tom.

That is exactly what I needed. As for rolling the Z around while on it, I can see where that would take several hands. We'll more than likely pin it in what ever position we need at the time. I sure don't want her rolling around like a out of balance pig on a skewer. Been there and done that. We will be rolling her both in and out for the blasting process.

I have seen POR 15 used before. I was impressed. I've read good feed back about it. Never any negative. It was brushed on which is what I prefer as opposed to spraying. Spraying at least for me, seems to be a bit on the thin side, even with several coats. To each their own. I'll check out the Claussen Chassis Saver product. I wonder which under-chassis coating product most professional restorers use?

Thank you again.

Skip

Guest V12Bill

I made up rockers from 3/4 " plywood. Don't forget to brace the plywood with a spar running through the front and rear windows from rocker to rocker to keep everything stable.

Thanks Hannabal

Thats exactly along the lines I was thinking. I have already traded my blasting cabinet for two shop built heavy duty motor stands. With a little wider stance at the base, I will have a great beginning of a rotisserie. My FIl has all the iron and he's a top notch welder so I have no problem there. I am concerned about this set-up flopping over on me and end up doing a turtle on me. I can see by yours where you placed the center of gravity . I'll start there and will some adjustments I think it'll work great. Beats working on the floor upside down. I taint gettin any younger. I may be slow, but damn am I good.

Thanks again.

Skip

Edited by Ctskip
spelling (see edit history)

Guest hannibalhann

skip,, add a little extra on the down tubes for center of gavitfy because your is a sedan... any ? call 8649343473 larry

Guest hannibalhann

skip, also put my 38 lz and rotisserie in a acid tank came out clean with no rust lucky for me the tank was only 5 miles away:):)

I can't imagine a tank that would hold a complete car. Thats amazing. My car doesn't have any paint on her. I can't even figure out what color she was.

Go figure.

Thanks agin,

Skip

Guest hannibalhann

hi tom,, sorry i don't have any pictures of a 41 but, my 38 is being done by a lady in north carloina ..she does lincolns and packards,,, gerichon is her name spelling ??? ph 336-492-5509 she has most patterns and can get the colors,,, tell her i sent you she just about to do my seats all the matieral is cut her husband john makes exzhust sysems for all cars thanks larry hann:):)

post-42794-143138169137_thumb.jpg

post-42794-143138169141_thumb.jpg

post-42794-143138169145_thumb.jpg

Guest hannibalhann

nice start for the 37 cp,, not much rust as i can see ,wish my body look that clean when i started to take it apart,, starting to do my engine next week earle help me with some parts cam bearing, head bolts ,paint ,, going to bore it to 30 over send pictures next week:)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ctskip

That is one wild project you got going on there. My hats off to you. Keep the stock running gear, you'll never regret it. Overdrive tranny an d2 sp rear is the way I'd go. Obviously with the V12, it's more for show than go anyway. I like it.

Improvin is what yer doin.

Ctskip