36 Dodge pickup questions

Guest burlllee

Guest burlllee

Hi, I build models and I received a resin 36 dodge pickup the other day. I'm thinking of building it stock and I have a few questions concerning it.

I have several pictures I've downloaded but I can't see where the stock fuel inlet is for the gas tank?

Could somebody tell me where it should be?

Also, what type of front suspension was used on these pickups?

Thanks, Earl

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently acquired a 1936 1/2 ton dodge pickup lc truck. My uncle drove it for years, then it was stored in his garage for years. I've got it running. It has a lot of character, I like it. So I am going to restore it. What am I in for? He changed it over to a 12 volt system. Does the seat adjust forward? Where is the bright light switch? On the floor. Not sure, because that switch on the floor does nothing. Needs a new ignition switch on the dashboard, where can I get one? On the passenger side under the dashboard, is that a heater unit underneath? And how does that work? I would like to keep in touch as we progress with this project. email address: edmaziarz@hotmail.com

Thanks edmaz.

Edited by edmaz
e-mail address (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

Wow do you have a learning curve ahead of you! But it's nice to see one that's not going to be hot rodded.

-The headlight dip switch is on the floor. A wire could be off it or both high beam filaments in the headlights could be blown.

-Yes the box under the dash is a cabin heater. You should be able to find a rotating switch on or hanging on the dash that says 'high-low/off/on' or something like that. It's self explanatory. But there may also be a water turn off valve on one of the hoses going to the heater at the engine. It shuts off the water for Summer and you rotate it to turn on the water for Winter.

-Don't know if the '36 seat moves. Maybe a '36 owner will jump in.

-12 volts was unnecessary but I would leave it alone for now.

-For the time being you could go to NAPA or Carquest and they sell generic ignition switches that you could use for now while you find an original. They can help you hook it up as well.

Good luck. Keep in touch.

Guest DodgeKCL

I would just copy the left hood latch to make the right one work? I see the truck has modern sealed beam headlights. These were not offered until about 1940 on Dodge trucks, some one has retrofitted them. It most likely explains why the dipper switch doesn't work. You're going to have to get under the truck and see if it's actually hooked up. The low beams may be 'hot wired' and the high not hooked up at all. You may have to finish the job that some one started.

Since it has 12 volt sealed beam headlights you would be wise to leave the 12 volt system alone until you know the truck better and then decide if you want to change it back to 6 volts. I think it's a job for some time way down the road if at all. It looks like a very nice complete original otherwise. Would look nice with a tire and rim mounted up there on the side mount.

Thanks, DodgeKLC. I do have the extra wheel and tire on the truck now, I just heaven't had time to take a current photo. There is a lever handle under the dash in front of the shift, is that the vent lever? I can't move that lever at all. Everything I'm writing about is the result of giving the truck a once over, not really tackling the project with thorough inspection and analysis or getting my hands dirty, but I can't wait.

Edited by edmaz (see edit history)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to send attachments. Some post and some do not. Whats with that? Do I have to be a member? I don't understand the language threads and trackbacks etc. Can someone help?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to send attachments. Some post and some do not. Whats with that? Do I have to be a member? I don't understand the language threads and trackbacks etc. Can someone help?

If you have a photo program that will allow you to change the pixel sizes to 2000 at the most in either direction, they should then load fine.

keiser31 I have no idea what photo program your talking about changing,but I'll try to fing out. How do I activate the quote option of this program? Before or after I submit my message? What are trackbacks?

keiser31 I have no idea what photo program your talking about changing,but I'll try to fing out. How do I activate the quote option of this program? Before or after I submit my message? What are trackbacks?

Never mind I got the quote part now. Thanks.

Guest DodgeKCL

You're not very far from me. I 'pass' you every time I go over to Dunkirk or down to Grove City PA on a shopping spree. Was down to PA in Sept.

What's the big vertical red tube on the left side of the firewall? The dash and instruments are the same as my '35 KCL. Treat them gently they are impossible to find. The heater control is that beige knob hanging on the bottom of the dash. It's very common and generic for heater controls. The handle under the dash would indeed be the cowl vent control. It moves away from you and back to you to open the fresh air vent. Do I see screws holding the cowl vent shut? Is that why it's not moving?

You're not very far from me. I 'pass' you every time I go over to Dunkirk or down to Grove City PA on a shopping spree. Was down to PA in Sept.

What's the big vertical red tube on the left side of the firewall? The dash and instruments are the same as my '35 KCL. Treat them gently they are impossible to find. The heater control is that beige knob hanging on the bottom of the dash. It's very common and generic for heater controls. The handle under the dash would indeed be the cowl vent control. It moves away from you and back to you to open the fresh air vent. Do I see screws holding the cowl vent shut? Is that why it's not moving?

The red tank is for the windshield wiper. None of the instrument gages work. Any help.

Guest DodgeKCL

I believe the wiper system on your truck should be the same as mine and it should be just a rubber tube hooked to vacuum at the carb base? Why the tank? Did you find out how the cowl vent(s) worked-or not?

The gauges will most likely be alright. Mine were in terrible condition but I was able to clean up the movements,paint the needles and cover up the old art work with computer generated decals. Sitting in the truck you can't tell they're not original.

The speedometer can be tested with a variable speed hand drill. Edit: It is purely mechanical. Just remove the cable at the tranny and connect the center piece to the drill chuck and drill away. If the needle goes backwards just flip the drill to the other direction. Start slow.

The ammeter is virtually indestructible. it should show a 10 amp. 'discharge' as soon as you put on the headlights as the headlights are 'hot wired'.

The water temperature gauge can be tested by CAREFULLY removing the sensor from the rear left side of the cylinder head and GENTLY placing it in a cup of very hot water. The dash gauge will go up scale in response to all this and read the temp of the hot water in the cup. Edit:The gauge and sensor are not electric. Be extra careful with this sensor as the capillary tube will break. The 'nut' turns on it's own and the 'inside' ,the sensor, floats free. If the sensor and capillary tube continually turn with the nut -STOP. The capillary tube will snap off. The 'nut' is only used to seat and hold the sensor in the head. But the 2 pieces have been know to 'freeze' to one another. Edit:Taking out the water temp sensor will let out the antifreeze/coolant from the engine from that point 'up'.

The oil pressure gauge does not know the difference between oil pressure and air pressure. The oil pressure tube line can be CAREFULLY removed from the engine block and air pressure from an air compressor blown in the copper line and the oil pressure gauge will respond as if it were reading oil pressure instead of air pressure. You can use a blow gun/dusting gun and just blow air at the end of the tube. Enough pressure will be built up in the tube to push the needle upscale. Edit:The oil pressure gauge is also not electric.

Do put any oil on the needle movements. They run dry.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone out there with lc pickup knowledge

Just got a new windshield for my lc pickup. Anyone know what I'm going to be faced with to put it in or get it put in. Also purchased the weather stripping. How difficult is this task going to be?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bettafisherman

Hey everyone, I have a 1936 dodge I am restoring! I am looking foward to this project. I have just started on it this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone out there with lc pickup knowledge

Just got a new windshield for my lc pickup. Anyone know what I'm going to be faced with to put it in or get it put in. Also purchased the weather stripping. How difficult is this task going to be?

I still haven't heard from anyone about my windshield job. edmaziarz@hotmail.com

Edited by edmaz
add e-mail address (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Edmaz, I see that the hood hinge is out of it's front retainer. Either the retainer is damaged or the leading edge of the center hood hinge may be damaged. Loosen the front retainer and reinsert the hinge into it then center the hood and tighten the screws. The hinge works similarly to curving your fingers toward your palms and interlocking your fingers. Retainers are available new from a man on this forum (knobless) but hood hinges are not.