Hupp Model 20 belly pan

trimacar

Well, I know I've been dragging my feet on this project, and finally decided to go talk to the sheet metal guys. They made a prototype for me, they had never sent me a bill, so I got it the other day. Right at $400 for the prototype, and they said it would be around that cost for each one. Geesh, that's too much. And, if I made them, shipping would be expensive too, because of size.

So here's the deal. If anyone wants a pattern to make these, dimensions and pictures, I'll come up with something. Otherwise, I can't see moving forward.

Dave-- Steve Bono in Bouckville,New York has been getting repo belly pans made for the early two cylinder Maxwells. Perhaps he may be able to assist your project. Not knowing how complex the Hupp is(mine doesn't have one)the Maxwell is a pretty simple style. ---Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve Hughes

David,

I have been wondering what the status of this project was. I hadn't checked this forum for a while. I would like to have a belly pan for my 1911. I agree that $400 seems awfully high. I have a couple of sources for sheet metal work, so I would be interested in whatever you could provide regarding patterns, dimensions, photos etc. and I'll pursue it from here and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
Guest Edgar Bowen

Re: Hupp Model 20 belly pan

I have made my own belly pan for a Hupp 20 by the old fashioned method of trial and error.

I also took the trouble to make a jig for my next effort with three more cars to build.

The easiest method of helping others is for me to cut our a sheet of paper as a pattern form the belly pan I made.

• 2 years later...

G, Day to all

Well done Edgar. I agree, the one for our touring took two days, the roadster took one day to make. They take about two hours to fit and all that they achieve is to run all the oil leaks out to the back. They did not improve fan efficiency one little bit. The bloke making one for $ 400 must be going on holliday for the rest of the week'.

Max Burke Nulkaba Australia,