1924 Model T.. New York or Florida???

Guest FordoFilez

Guest FordoFilez

Hi, I recently purchased a 1924 T and was wondering where I should register it?? Florida or New York?? It's tough finding the correct infomation from DMV... Go Figure..... Thanks for any help

Guest FordoFilez

I guess I should have been more specific....... I can register it in either place since I have homes in both..

Looking more for info on Prices and if anyone knows that sort of thing.. Lifetime Registrations?? Historic Plates?? It's hard finding the info and sitting on the phone with these people is not ...well ya know.. I thought I would ask the best people for this and that would be this forum.. Thanks

My recommendation is using the web to find the info. Recommend you check both NY and FL DMV websites for registration and insurance requirements info. New York State Department of Motor Vehicles - NYS DMV - NYSDMV - Driver - Vehicle

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Also look at state laws regarding antique vehicle registration and inspection requirements. Don't forget to look into emissions testing (if applicable). Each state government has a website where you can look at the actual law. I highly recommend doing our research first as DMV employees don't have accurate info at their finger-tips and are generally unfamiliar with antique vehicle licensing.

We'll probably have some input here on the forum about the pros and cons of registering in each state. At least you've got a choice. Where will the car be housed and used?

Terry

• 1 month later...

I never thought I would say anything good about New York, especially today with the rampant corruption in government and highest taxes in the USA . . . (sorry --- there I go again. Take your medicine, old man . . . There, there. . .all better)

But, from the little I know, New York is relatively easy to register an old car. If you have a registration or title signed over to you by the previous owner, it's easy. If you don't, it can be a pain because every DMV clerk you talk to will demand different things or flat out say "no". There's no uniformity or mutual understanding. I knew the guy who ran the local DMV office and got the red carpet treatment every time, but he's gone, so I'm at the whim of a gummamint worker. So, get your paperwork all in order.

Registration doesn't cost much more than a modern car, you have the option of doing either Historical plates or normal passenger plates which are cheaper and carry no restrictions, the taxes aren't any more than a modern car, too. Sales tax is absurdly high, but. . . . .

The one bad thing is that we do have an annual safety inspection for all vehicles, even real antiques. It's also absurd because most garages don't know what to do for an inspection on a 1911 Maxwell or a 1924 Model T, so you just pay them the money, or a little more, and they give you a sticker. You need to do this every year, so you usually find a private mechanic who is "cool" enough to not give you a hassle. If not, you may be told they need to pull off wheels and do all sorts of abominations. Just find someone who understands that you as the owner know more about the car and it's safety on something that old than they do. If this is too much of a hassle, register in Florida or a grown-up state that has no annual inspections for antiques.

I'm not living here once I retire, so someday I'll be looking for a better state to live in, but for now, at least I'm allowed to drive my 1926 Packard just like a normal passenger car anywhere I want.

Good luck.

--Scott