1921 Studebaker Big Six Touring - Save It!

Guest StudeBig6

Guest StudeBig6

Gentlemen,

I'm posting a 1921 Studebaker Big Six for sale. I'll be honest, I bought it to make a hotrod...BUT...it's really too nice to think of cutting up / modifying. This survivor deserves to be put back to it's resplendent originality.

It is not a complete car. But, what is there is probably almost impossible to find in this condition: 19,211 original mile barn find (sat in a barn since 1960). I have not touched it - not even to clean the 50 yr old dust off. So, onto the specifics:

All original 1921 Studebaker Big Six Touring - Body and Hood only: No Chassis

Have original title

This came out of a barn where it resided since at least 1960 when the previous owner died. The layers of dust attest to it's residency. I promise you, you will not find a body of this vintage this good unless it's been in a museum or restored!

There are only 19,122 ORIGINAL miles on this car. It has not been rolled.

The Studebaker still wears most of it's original dark paint (can't tell if it's black or very dark blue due to oxidation). It still has it's blue horsehair interior mostly intact - the seat bottoms appear to be from a different year Big Six (marked on bottom with "Big 6", but don't fit correctly. The top is complete, with only a couple repairable tears on the driver's side rear corner. The top bows are as perfect as they get, and all of the latch hardware is complete. The original beveled rear glass is intact and clear, as is the windshield (with the single vacuum operated wiper still attached). The windshield tilt function still functions!

All of the structural wood is as solid as the day it left the factory. The floors are without sin. The grab bar is still attached to the back of the front seat, and the foot rest is still attached to the back floor. All doors open and close as they should, and all the wooden door handles are complete.

Additionally, the cowl light lenses (recessed into the windshield frame) are perfect. The cowl vent opens and closes as it should. All of the gauges are intact.

I even have all of the side curtains - the plastic windows have long since dry rotted (they were stowed under the rear seat), but they would make great patterns. I did take them all and attach them...all the snaps and posts on the car are present.

As I mentioned above, I do not have the chassis.

I'm asking $6500, but I'm negotiable on the price to an extent. I paid a premium for this car because of the condition - No need for bodywork. Interior shows in pics "dirtier" than actual.

See my avatar, contact me here, or email me. Thanks, Sean

post-66021-143138161411_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161416_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161419_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161424_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161428_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161431_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161434_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161438_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161442_thumb.jpg

post-66021-143138161446_thumb.jpg

Guest StudeBig6

Thanks Old Car Fan.

I agree it's a shame. The gentleman who had put it in that barn all those years ago had numerous Big Sixes pieces and parts (along with a huge collection of carriages, packards, hudsons, etc). There was another Big Six with a complete chassis but a severely destroyed / rusted body...no doubt his plan was to put this pristine body on that chassis. When the estate auction took place, I planned on buying all of it...I spent a huge chunk on this. At that point, I expected the chassis to go cheap....but a rat-rodder plunked down more than I had in reserve on the chassis / rotted body. Oh well. I had never planned on doing a concurs restoration...more a a resto-rod.

Still, from my vantage it is still more than a parts car...chassis can be found that have survived more intact than most bodies, and this one is pristine. My thoughts are that for a restorer, this prime body would certainly be worth what my investment is. If not, a 120" wheelbase Ford AA chassis would make an acceptable donor for a "hot rod" project...something that could at least capture the essence of the car and return it to the road if not making it original. Of course, if you'd like to make an offer as a "parts car", feel free to PM me.

Sean

stude, will not make you an offer .its,your piece,,please do not part it out.I don,t, by any means think it should go to a hot-rod,some people do.We have no chassis.But to save a great piece,i would.Please post this on the stude,forum so they will see it.We have a 20.nothing but fun

Guest John Burgh

I may be Your Guy! I have a 1923 Big Six EK chassis, restoration virtually finished. But the body (especially aft of the bulkhead between the front and rear seats) is devoid of wood framing and upholstery. I might be able to make one good car (almost a perfect 23, except for yours being a 5-pass and mine being 7-pass) with your body on my chassis.

If you have any more detailed pictures than those shown in this post, I'd appreciate a look. I will also ask you to check a couple critical dimensions on your body.....I will get back to you later today on that.

As Joan Rivers used to say...."can we talk?" :o)

John Burgh

(925) 639-5864

studie23@comcast.net

I'm no expert on Big Six cars, but the top edges of the doors & body look more like a Special Six. I'm comparing this to a 1924 Special Six that I owned & sold around 10 years ago now and I'm not sure the earlier cars were not different than the 24, but the top edge on the Big Six cars I've seen had a secondary bump to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not paid member so not sure I can post a new thread, so am using this one to let members know of a recent barn find of an early teen's Studebaker I found in an outbuilding in Halifax NS Canada. Owner says its a 1916 tourer, drivetrain looks complete and owner (he's 91) says he has had big engine running recently. Wheels are also in decent shape, but touring body/frame pretty rusty and rough. Bows for roof are there. Not sure if he would sell it as he is a bit eccentric (has several old '20's Fords, a '29 Dodge and '48 Packard as well). Amazing these old beasts keep showing up!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest StudeBig6

After a couple months of conflicting schedules, I had a pleasurable visit from Packard32 yesterday. He confirmed what he suspected, the Studebaker is a 1922 Special Six - not a '21 Big Six.

It was a great visit - he was able to get photos to help in the restoration of his '22 Special - those little details that you can only find on a completely unmolested car - the build of the top, the width of the pleats in the seats, etc. If I don't sell before he gets to it, I agreed to let him borrow the side curtains and rods to have ones made for his car. It's good to be able to help such a nice gentleman.

I'd still love to sell this to someone who would do it justice - it's in too incredible of condition to do anything but use on a restoration.

Sean

Guys, as Sean said, I went to see the car. It is in pure, absolute original condition. If anyone has a needy chassis, this is the body for you!!! EVERYTHING is original. If someone could find a chassis, this would be one of the finest HPOF cars around. If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to answer them since I've seen the car firsthand.

Sean and his Dad do beautiful work building hot rods. I'll be the first to say, I'm a restoration guy, but sometimes, they just can't be restored...a case by case basis for me. This Studebaker needs to be preserved as is, but, as Sean said, if no one buys it, it's going to be a most unusual hotrod body....

Anyone out there???? I can't believe there are many more around like this....B

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest StudeBig6

Mike...I still have the body. I have the hood buried in a shed, but I promise it's in equal condition. If it's something you really want to see, just tell me and I'll go dig it out and post.

• 11 months later...
Guest newstew
Gentlemen,

DOYOU STILL HAVE THE CAR ?

I'm posting a 1921 Studebaker Big Six for sale. I'll be honest, I bought it to make a hotrod...BUT...it's really too nice to think of cutting up / modifying. This survivor deserves to be put back to it's resplendent originality.

It is not a complete car. But, what is there is probably almost impossible to find in this condition: 19,211 original mile barn find (sat in a barn since 1960). I have not touched it - not even to clean the 50 yr old dust off. So, onto the specifics:

All original 1921 Studebaker Big Six Touring - Body and Hood only: No Chassis

Have original title

This came out of a barn where it resided since at least 1960 when the previous owner died. The layers of dust attest to it's residency. I promise you, you will not find a body of this vintage this good unless it's been in a museum or restored!

There are only 19,122 ORIGINAL miles on this car. It has not been rolled.

The Studebaker still wears most of it's original dark paint (can't tell if it's black or very dark blue due to oxidation). It still has it's blue horsehair interior mostly intact - the seat bottoms appear to be from a different year Big Six (marked on bottom with "Big 6", but don't fit correctly. The top is complete, with only a couple repairable tears on the driver's side rear corner. The top bows are as perfect as they get, and all of the latch hardware is complete. The original beveled rear glass is intact and clear, as is the windshield (with the single vacuum operated wiper still attached). The windshield tilt function still functions!

All of the structural wood is as solid as the day it left the factory. The floors are without sin. The grab bar is still attached to the back of the front seat, and the foot rest is still attached to the back floor. All doors open and close as they should, and all the wooden door handles are complete.

Additionally, the cowl light lenses (recessed into the windshield frame) are perfect. The cowl vent opens and closes as it should. All of the gauges are intact.

I even have all of the side curtains - the plastic windows have long since dry rotted (they were stowed under the rear seat), but they would make great patterns. I did take them all and attach them...all the snaps and posts on the car are present.

As I mentioned above, I do not have the chassis.

I'm asking $6500, but I'm negotiable on the price to an extent. I paid a premium for this car because of the condition - No need for bodywork. Interior shows in pics "dirtier" than actual.

See my avatar, contact me here, or email me. Thanks, Sean

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE CAR

Guest StudeBig6
DO YOU STILL HAVE THE CAR

Newstew, I do. (look, I made a rhyme!) I haven't been actively listing it mainly because I haven't had much garage time, but it is still for sale.

Guest newstew
Newstew, I do. (look, I made a rhyme!) I haven't been actively listing it mainly because I haven't had much garage time, but it is still for sale.

Hi Studebig6 I am kinda new to this,so bear with me, I have 4 fenders and front and rear apron or valances a gas tank, steering column and spare tire carrier, I even have the body bolts that hold the chassis also have the headlight bar and a tail light.. All my stuff is from a 26 tourer. DO YOU know if it;s the same? My dilema is ,,I would love to save the car but I will still need chassis wheels , engine, trans, rear axle, suspension radiator and shell plus a pair of bumpers, I would need you to be very flexible on your price for it to make sense. Here is my E-mail,,,,,,,kennypennyz@gmail.com

Guest StudeBig6

Bill,

I wish you had some play money too!

MikeC, when you say "6 bow top", is that including or excluding the header bow? What does the 6 bow top signify? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Guest StudeBig6

Still haven't found someone to preserve this.

I know cash can be hard to find in this economy - so I'd consider trades. What do you have? (I prefer something vintage, but will listen to all)

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Arn, the seller isn't on very often, but he'll answer when he sees your message.... You do know it's only a body and interior, nochassis and no motor? Right?

Yes, Thanks for reminder

I see from old posting that you have taken pictures of body.

Guest StudeBig6

Hi Arn - yes it's still available. As I posted above, I tucked it into a storage building but I can have it dug out in an hour or so!

Hey Packard32 - how's your project coming along? Did the dimensions you took help?

• 2 months later...
Guest StudeBig6

Just wanted to update this thread. ARN ended up buying the Stude. He drove up mid-July from Texas, we loaded her, and he made the drive back with no issues. We came to what I believe was a reasonable agreement...and more importantly it seems it went to a great home. He has the chassis and parts to finish this correctly. I'm somewhat sorry to see it go - it was just a cool car - but I'm glad someone will do it right! Now I have some much needed room in my storage, and a few bucks to put towards my '34 Chevy town sedan, '55 Desoto, '27 Ford roadster, '30 and '31 Model A roadsters, etc....