1964 T-Bird

Guest 41guy

Hey Folks,

I found a realy nice 1964 T-Bird hardtop coupe for sale. It was restored about two years ago and in great shape. It's black/black with the 390 engiine.

The car is owned by the Ford dealer I purchased my Mustang from, good folks.

They took the car on trade but have not been able to sell it, they want $9,995 for it but I think I could get it for less. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, it is truly like new, even exhaust, frame and tires!!

Anyone know anything about these cars? I'd like to make it a daily driver since I only drive around town these days.

My only concern about driving this daily is the fact that these T-Bird have a lot of electronics to them, like the gauges and various switches and so on.

I guess it would be no worse than my 06 Mustang and it's electronics.

Sooner or later the Mustang is going to need some help with the electronics since everything is controled by the computer, even the gas pedal.

Let me know what you think, a daily driver or not?

By the way, I would post pictures if I could figure how to do that.

I know that I need to select the insert image icon, but not sure what to go once the http//. appears. Help!

Thanks, Mike

post-65837-143138161449_thumb.jpg

post-65837-143138161453_thumb.jpg

post-65837-143138161455_thumb.jpg

post-65837-143138161458_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

The Bird will have a little more electrics than the average 64 Ford since most will have power windows, seat(s), etc. but otherwise the car won't be that much different than any other 1964 Ford. And I wouldn't let those items keep me from buying the car. I certainly would not be afraid of driving one daily once I had gone over it enough to know it was road worthy.

I think it would do nicely as a daily driver in terms of comfort and enjoyment. But you would have to have some leeway regarding reliability. You can get a lot of parts for these cars, but maybe not very quickly in every instance. For example, an air conditioning switch. So if something breaks that you can't fix very quickly, do you have a backup vehicle? There is also a risk factor. If someone bashes in a door, you may be in trouble if you need to replace some trim pieces. Also, this car will have all the speed you'll need, but the brakes are not nearly as good as those in a modern car.

From a positive standpoint, the price looks reasonable.

The car looks very nice in the photos, but I've learned a long time ago never to buy a car based on photos. You are the best judge of its true condition because you have seen it personally.

As far as value is concerned, that depends on just how well it was restored. Is the engine compartment detailed? Chassis detailed? Does everything pretty much look like new? If so, then $10,000 is probably a good buy. Market value may be as high as $15,000 if it's ready to win some prizes at shows. If, however, the engine compartment and chassis are in just average condition or worse, then the $10,000 may be high retail.

There is no reason a 1964 T-bird cannot be used as a daily driver - in Florida or California. However snow and salt will have that car trashed in less than a year in Pennsylvania.

Calif. or Florida are nice places to live, I'd love move to either place and take this T-Bird.

This car will never see snow, salt and maybe even rain in Pa.

I don't drive my Mustang in bad weather now, one of the advantages of being retired.

The car looks very nice in the photos, but I've learned a long time ago never to buy a car based on photos. You are the best judge of its true condition because you have seen it personally.

As far as value is concerned, that depends on just how well it was restored. Is the engine compartment detailed? Chassis detailed? Does everything pretty much look like new? If so, then $10,000 is probably a good buy. Market value may be as high as $15,000 if it's ready to win some prizes at shows. If, however, the engine compartment and chassis are in just average condition or worse, then the $10,000 may be high retail.

I haven't seen the car in person yet, I made an appointment for this coming Monday. You are absolutely right West, seeing it up close and personal will be the test. They provided no pics of the engine compartment, so it will be interesting to see what's under the hood.

They body shop manager for this Ford dealership is a friend of mine. He's the one that turned me on to the car. He has been over it and said it was in a #2 to 3# condition.

#2 condition means it WILL win prizes at just about any show.

#3 condition means it's a driver, but the average Joe on the street would think it could win trophies.

The difference between the two condition ratings is mainly in the detail of the engine compartment and undercarriage, and the quality of the body work and paint.

Calif. or Florida are nice places to live, I'd love move to either place and take this T-Bird.

This car will never see snow, salt and maybe even rain in Pa.

I don't drive my Mustang in bad weather now, one of the advantages of being retired.

Then I see no reason why it can't be used as a daily driver, provided you have something else as back up for bad weather or in case a part takes a while to locate. I used 1970's Lincolns as daily drivers for years. I don't think a 1964 T-bird's electrical system would be any more complicated than a 1970's Lincoln.

Easy to get parts for these cars but not always cheap i.e brake drums $100. Will have trouble with window motors. That is a problem spot with restored cars. Also you have some vacuum tubing for the door locks, parking brake and rear vent. Brakes will stop you, but don't tail gate. These 64 are not that rare. If it is a three then you are over priced.

I want to thank everyone for their comments or offered suggestions regarding this car.

As I read the comments it has me wondering if this was a good idea to consider this car as a daily driver. I must say I had some of the same concerns pointed out, like finding parts, replacing various items such as the vacuum tubing. This could be an on going problem rather than an enjoyable ride.

I am reminded of an old saying, KISS (keep it simple stupid). This brings me back to my orginal idea to buy an old flathead Ford. There just isn't much that can go wrong with these simple old cars and if is something does, it is easy to fix.

In defense of using the car as a "daily driver," which you have already told us means that it will be used regularly, but not in bad weather. Once the car is "sorted out," the regular use will make it more reliable than a car that sits all the time, so you may not see the types of problems a lot of collectors do.

In defense of using the car as a "daily driver," which you have already told us means that it will be used regularly, but not in bad weather. Once the car is "sorted out," the regular use will make it more reliable than a car that sits all the time, so you may not see the types of problems a lot of collectors do.

Thank You West

It appears you are more optimistic about my idea.

As I mentioned, I am going to check out this car Monday.

I'll be able to give you all a better idea of the true condition of this car then.

Should decide to purchase this car, I am going to have a mechanic check it out for me. It will be money well spent I figure.

Thanks, Mike

Guest billybird

Sounds like a good deal to me. The only thing about a daily driver before 1967 is the single reservoir master cylinder. But thats never stopped me before{no pun intended}. For my own satisfaction, I would check the brake hoses, lines, and fittings real good. Maybe at least flush the system and bleed with fresh fluid. After all, this is your safety we're talking about.