Delco-Remy generator

Guest 36chev

Does anyone have a guess as to the application(s) for this generator for sale on ebay?

The original 3-brush type on my 36 Chevrolet either doesn't keep up when the headlights are on or overcharges when they aren't. This one looks like a 2 brush type that uses a regulator and it appears it might bolt up. The car came with a later 2-brush type installed when I bought it (and it charged very well), but then it wore out and the voltage regulator stopped working as well. I rebuilt the original 3-brush type for the car, but it never has charged as well. This one looks tempting if it might work and be rebuilt/NOS. I'm hoping the pulley on my on the my 2-brush might work.

Thanks!

My information indicates #1102737 on ebay is recommended for 40-48 Chevrolet as a replacement for its "standard" gen. #1102667.

The 29-48 Chev parts book has Univ. Gen (less pulley) #1100460 for 29-39 Chev & carries a Warning: "Be sure 3rd brush settings conform to instruction to avoid burning out new gen."

...That would give me pause for using the 1102737 in the 36. ...good luck.

Thanks for the information. I looked on the VCCA website and found the same--for a 40-48 Chevrolet. A 40-48 Chevrolet generator was on the car when I got it 25 years ago (I remember looking it up) and it worked great. The voltage regulator keeps it from overcharging--the 40-48 is a two brush. It is 30 amps, which is higher than the original (it was 20 amp), but this seemed to cause no problems.

The original generator is a 3 brush without a regulator--and that's where the rub comes in. It can easily overcharge or undercharge according where the third brush is set. Basically it is charging full out or not at all. To get it to keep from discharging 5 amps or more with the headlights on (at speed, not idle), the generator charges at about 15-16 amps all the time. And if I want to run the heater motor at the same time (which I somestimes do), it discharges several more amps. I often run with the parking lights on to compensate during the day, but the battery still wants to boil. Plus, when the car is cold the 3 brush generator charges much more than after car warms up and has run for an hour or so. I guess one can set the 3rd brush lower when cold and then stop at some point and up it again after the car has run for awhile.

My guess is that years ago a previous owner got tired of the original generator (or it wore out) and replaced it with the later 40-48. The original 36 Standard model generator I have on the car now came from a car that was being hot rodded--I had the generator rebuilt. I wanted to go back to the original, but didn't realize that the generator wouldn't charge as well as the one that had previously been on the car.

Another difference is that my car is a Standard model. The Master series from 34-36 has a different generator (still 3 brush) that puts our more current. But there is a resistor incorporated into the light switch on the Master series that limits the generator when the headlights are off. When the headlights are turned on, the generator charges full-out according to where the third brush is set. I guess kind of like a crude regulator. My brother has a 34 Master and doesn't seem to have the same issues with charging.

But I would like to use the later regulated generator and it doesn't look much different than the original. One like it worked very well when I first got the car. The only obvious thing is the presence of a voltage regulator and lack of a cutout--and the original generator can be easily be put back. I've put scews to cover up the holes where the regulator was mounted on the firewall years ago, so all I would have to do is take out the screws and reinstall a regulator. This is the only modfication. This is a driver car (not show), so not concerned about points being taken off.

Another factor is that I may put in the halogen headllight bulbs from Bill Hirsch--and I don't think the 3-brush generator would handle them. I've already put in a halogen tail light and brake light bulb, and can notice a difference with just those.

Again, thanks for the input.