Chrysler 1930 serie 77 identification help

Hi:

I´m looking for help to identify the body of my car. I have an original invoice from the local dealer that has the following numbers.

Engine W 12721

body is c 108 dw

I´m not sure if the invoice is from the car I have ( past onwer told me that it is, but I´m not sure)

Car now has inother engine, the number is W19248.

Wheelbase is 124.5 inches.

Does anybody can Identify the car by the engine number?

Take a look to the pictures,, I can send better photos if you send me your email by PM

Kind regards to all

Ignacio

post-64205-143138160723_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138160724_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a body style like that. Is it a foreign custom body??

It is not a convertible anything.. It has roadster/phaeton windshield posts..no side windows.

The wood framing looks very odd, esp the door framing..or lack of.

The beltline details are unusual to me.

Ignacio. What country is it from originally?

Also, what does the "body tag" look like?

Is there any indication of the body maker name somehere on the car?

I guess I should look for my Chrysler book to see if that body was in the book..

Hello everybody,

thanks for your coments.

F&J, the car was sold new in Chile on may 15 1930 by the local Chrysler dealer.

There is no body tag, or body maker name.

The only thing I have is the invoice that the past owner gave me. In that invoice appears the following numbers:

Engine W 12721

body is c 108 dw

Cas has now W19248 engine.

If you send me your email I can send you a full set of photos with better resolution.

kind regards

Ignacio

I went through the pictures looking for anything that looked too new.

I am no expert, but all of the coachwork is VERY old. I can't say if it is from the year 1930, but it looks very old.

That hood has me baffled. It shows two horizontal rows of louvers, much like old time US Hotrods from the 40's and 50's ?? The 30 Chrysler 70 and 77 I think had two hoods depending on early or late. One was normal verticle louver pattern typical of most US cars. Then they had the "pennant" shaped louvers; like triangles. Your hood is neither of these.

The cowl seems to be a modified Chrysler roadster and touring cowl with modifications up high behind the windshield posts. A piece added on to make the door tops higher. The doors and rear body are not Chrysler stamped parts in my opinion. I assume those parts of the body were made in South America.

I see holes for detachable side curtain "rods", but I did not see any attachment points for a folding top.

I honestly can't say who made the body...or when.

I do know that those short 5 passenger 2 door convertibles and 5 Passenger 2 door phaetons were more popular in Europe and South America, compared to USA.

Maybe someone else has some ideas.

I did notice that the Invoice from the Chrysler dealer referred to "chassis". I don't know if that is a clue it came to Chile as a chassis or not.

hi F&J

as you said the invoice talks about a chassis, but also about a body ( "carroceria" is body in spanish) the invoice talks about body D 108 DW, Now this number is a correct number for 1930 serie 77 as you can see on kaiser31 post ( the second on this page).

As for the hood, I went hershey this year and meet some people who told me that 1930 chrysler use the hood I have and the one with "pennant" shaped louvers that you said ( I showed them pictures of my car).

Why do you say that the doors and rear parts are not chrysler stamped?

Do you know something about the chryslerheritage.com build cards? I have sent them emails but have not answer from them.

I agree with you that the coachwork is very old. When I bought the car the past owner has some very old pictures of his family and the car, unfortunately he did not allow me to take copies of those pictures.

I have another invoice from november 1931 when the car was sold to the second owner, There is detailed the car, the top and 4 spare tires.

If somebody can decode the serial number ( c108dw) we can know if the car came to Chile only as a chassis, but I think basing on the 1930 and 1931 invoices that the car arrive Chile as a complete car ( chassis and body).

regards

Ignacio

It would be best to start another thread on that car where more people will see it.

Put it on the "What is it" forum up in the General Discussions... Just title it something like "ID this Chrysler body"...

Also, when you start to do any work on it, you could also start a thread on "our restoration projects". That will also get some info coming in as many people may be able to help with ideas and possibly some info on missing parts.

I look forward to seeing more input on your car.

Your car was made in the mid production of the 77 series ,the serial number for the car will not tell you the body style or color only the model and the assembly number.

Chrysler in the U.S. built 10.788 model 77s before yours and the number on your engine is also mid 77 production 11,719 be for yours.

If your car was shipped as a chassis the tag should be on the right frame rail just in front of the cowl. If it was shipped with the cowl the tag would be on the dash. The letters and numbers are stamped into the Chrysler name on these I.D. tags

If I recall correctly the serial number is also stamped on the rear left frame and yours should read 210890 there

As for the hood Chrysler changed mid production from the pennons to louvers but I have not seen the double rows before

Guest martylum

Ignacio-I have obtained manufacturing records for early Chrysler cars by contacting the chrysler Historical Museum and submitting the car's engine and serial #s. If they have records on your car, they will send you a a copy of the shipping invoice (for a fee) Other info. available might be owners manuals, sales brochurres, etc.. The invoice lists a manufacture date, the body colors, body style, interior upholstery, and shipping destination of the car and various other interesting information.

Put Chrysler Historical Historical Museum into a search engine such as Google. Key on -Heritage- on the site, then key on --Archives- for contact info.

The engine number does begin with a W for a 77 and the serial # does begin with a C so it does sound like you might have a 77. The body style certainly does not fit into their standard offerings for a 77. I think your body has been modified from the standard offerings. Perhaps a phaeton (which is like a 4 door roadster) was the starting point. The body style looks more European than U. S.

Martin Lum

hi everybody,

28 chrysler, are you saying that the correct engine number for my car will be w11719?

In the original invoice from the locar dealer the numbers are Engine W 12721 and

body is c 108 dw. car now has another engine, maybe somebody swap another 77 engine on the car time ago.

I have looked today, and there is no ID tag, no number on the right frame near the cowl and can´t find the serial number stamped on the rear left frame, I don´t have to much time today, but I will look better on saturday. Where exactly the serial number will be?.

I went to hershey this year and there I met Paul ( the owner and restorer of the 1930 77 yellow/black locke phaeton), I showed him my pictures and he told me that the molding on my car was very typical on locke bodys, does somebody knows anything about?

Martin, I have sent 2 emails to the Chrysler Historical Historical Museum asking to buy the build card of my car, but I have not get any response. Do you have the name and email of the person that sell it yo you? I have write 2 times to archives@wpchryslermuseum.org

The motor was replaced with another at some time with a direct replacement. It could be a factory replacement, rebuilt, or a salvaged motor The "W" indicates that it is a 268.4 C.I. 93 H.P. model 77 motor. It is the correct engine type for the number on the body.

Guest martylum

Ignacio-the people at the Chrysler Museum who do research in their records area are all unpaid volunteers so you need to give them time to respond. A month or 2 might not be unreasonable.

It will be interesting to see what you find out if and when they find your production records. I hope you will post the results.

Martin Lum

• 4 weeks later...

hi

I have contacted Danielle Szostak-Viers at chryslerheritage.com. I asked for the build card of my car, The answer was:

" Unfortunately, I was unable to find a build card for your vehicle. The build cards were stored on microfilm. Your build card was missing from the reel. The build card would of had the body number on it.

I am sorry that I am unable to assist you. "

I also try with a volunteer and the answer from Danielle was:

"Unfortunately, I was unable to find a volunteer here at the archives to give me a 100% answer on what your vehicle is. One volunteer said he believes it’s a 1930 Chrysler 77 2 Door convertible sedan. I am sorry that there is not more that I can tell you"

Does anybody have another idea where I can find help?

kind regards

Ignacio

Could there be a way to get better or closer or larger photos with more detail? I am really curious about this car and I have been researching my library to find out what body it is. Are there any holes on the body where a custom body maker's body tag may have been mounted? There were usually two holes and they usually mount the tag down at the bottom of the cowling. The horizontal upper belt molding lines look to be more indented than protruding out and I have never seen this except on custom bodies.

HI:

I have attended Hershey 2009 fall meet and there I met the owner of a yellow-black 77 double cowl 1930 Chrysler . His name was Paul Kaufmann. I show him pictures of my car, and he told me that the molding ( see the color lines on the pictures) were only used on Locke bodys.

Does anybody know something about that?

He also told me where will be supposed to be the plate with the numbers (under the front seat) , but my car does not have any number on it.

Also a person from Brazil told me that the car might be a convertible victoria, Any suggestion?

take a look on the hard tops that F&J have posted on http://forums.aaca.org/f170/id-1930-chrysler-body-275811.html

kind regards to all

Ignacio

post-64205-143138181024_thumb.jpg

post-64205-143138181026_thumb.jpg