What are these GM computer modules?

Guest buzzflood

Guest buzzflood

I have two of these seemingly identical computer modules. I removed one from a ’96 Cadillac Deville and the other from a ‘96 Eldorado. Each was located on a panel directly behind the rear seat, along with two other modules. Each is labeled:

SERV. NO. 16218716

Below on the same label on each is what I assume is the part number:

16275746 on the Deville module

16275736 on the Eldorado module

As you can see, the two part numbers are nearly identical and each is very similar to the service number.

First, I’m hoping that someone can tell me what function these modules perform; I don’t think they are the engine control modules, but I’m not sure.

Second, what is meant by a service number? Is this a basic number for this type module, with the part numbers differing slightly to represent different programming for different model vehicles? Do you see these service numbers on parts other than computer modules?

And, for an even more obscure bit of information, does anyone know what the BNWF stands for on the same line as the part number?

Thanks very much?

Buzz

post-64529-143138160184_thumb.jpg

post-64529-143138160195_thumb.jpg

post-64529-143138160205_thumb.jpg

They are not engine modules. The service number is the number that GM uses for the dealer part number. The other number would be the production number. I did a quick Google search and they are electronic suspension control modules on a couple of sites for 96 Cadillac DeVilles.

1996 CADILLAC DEVILLE Suspension Control Module ECM : eBay Motors (item 350304402479 end time Feb-11-10 10:25:43 PST)

The other modules under the seat is probably the SIR/Air Bag module. You can tell usually easily if the module is bolted to the floor.

Guest buzzflood
They are not engine modules. The service number is the number that GM uses for the dealer part number. The other number would be the production number. I did a quick Google search and they are electronic suspension control modules on a couple of sites for 96 Cadillac DeVilles.

1996 CADILLAC DEVILLE Suspension Control Module ECM : eBay Motors (item 350304402479 end time Feb-11-10 10:25:43 PST)

The other modules under the seat is probably the SIR/Air Bag module. You can tell usually easily if the module is bolted to the floor.

Larry,

Thanks very much for pointing me towards that ebay listing. I'm a little embarrassed; since the info was on ebay, I should have been able to find it myself.

The ebay listing was a bit confusing, at first. The part number was right, and the listing explained that it was an electronic suspension control module. But, the accompanying photo did not look anything like the module I had. I contacted the seller. He explained that he uses a stock photo of a control module, but not necessarily the same type module that is being offered in the listing. I think that defeats the purpose of providing a photo. But, the guy currently has over 55,000 items listed on ebay, so I guess he has some experience.

Thanks again for your help!

Buzz