For Sale: 1936 Chrysler Airflow

Guest dfdarkknight

Guest dfdarkknight

I have this 1936 Chrysler Airflow I want to get rid of. It's complete and has working engine, but does not run. I want to sell it, but i want to get a good deal for it. I notice that parts sell very well on Ebay so maybe i could sell it for parts. It's located in Los Angeles California.

What do you guys suggest I do? How much do you think I can get for it?

post-65861-143138157176_thumb.jpg

post-65861-143138157178_thumb.jpg

A disassembled car is hard to sell because the buyer has to assume that the missing parts will be the most expensive ones. You may want to post you question and ad on th Airflow web site. The Official Web Site of the Airflow Club of America!

I've logged over 50,000 miles in a 1935 Airflow in the last 20 years and can attest to what a fine vehicle they are when completed.

Guest dfdarkknight

That's what I'm saying. If its worth about 3k, I might as well just sell the parts on ebay. I saw the horn and steering wheel g for $500 a few days ago and the tail lights for $400. I think I will sell as parts. Anyone interested in some parts?

i,m like you dfdarkknight, i think its worth a lot more than 4,000, look around see how many airflows there are left, okay parts are getting thin on the ground , but they are out there , if it was closer i wouldn,t hesitate. try selling the whole car on ebay , see how it goes , you can put a reserve on it .

That's what I'm saying. If its worth about 3k, I might as well just sell the parts on ebay. I saw the horn and steering wheel g for $500 a few days ago and the tail lights for $400. I think I will sell as parts. Anyone interested in some parts?

It looks fairly complete. Seems a shame to part it out if it is. Consider saving it by selling it whole to someone that will restore it or at least make it roadworthy & drive it. The almighty dollar shouldn't be the only factor in this hobby, but the sad fact is that is THE ONLY FACTOR in some cases.

Why such fear about putting down a vehicles location and still asking for a price? Location plays a very large role in what a vehicle is worth. How can anyone give an answer to such an open ended question, without adequate photos?

My opinion; Jim43

I've only seen 2 photos and they look like pola roids that were imaged. People need to see what they are getting.

Here is the deal. A complete 1936 C9 Airflow Chrysler sedan with intact 323 straight 8 - non running essentially - needing everything - is worth $3000 to $4500.

I have owned a 36 C9 - entirely incomplete. I am a lover of the last Airflows from 1937, C17's and I know where I can get 2 for $4000 tomorrow - very complete and may run.

Although rare, few Airflows are getting parted out any more. So they exist. There are quite a few restorations that have stalled as owners run out of money or patience or both. By "quite a few" I mean maybe 10 per year.

There are many spectacular Airflows out there offered for $20,000 to $45,000 or so, turnkey show stoppers.

Reagrding parting it out, you will find a rabid Airflow parts hoarding community. I clearly ran into this when I was looking for missing parts for my C9.

IF you car has the taillight housing, spider web covers, and lens you can get probably $500 for all of that. What I call Airflow "jewelry", things off the dash for instance, pull handles, instruments, and the taillights - can get big money.

That community of hoarders needs to get day jobs, because they snipe everything. The problem with your car is what do you do when you have unloaded all the Airflow stuff ? You will be left with a hulk of a C9.

The straight 8 engine and transmission obviously have value but pretty much need to come with the car. They would be a pain to extract, right? You want quick and easy. Just selling off all those small parts won't be fun. Those parts hoarders will hit PayPal about 2 seconds after they have sniped and then wait in their darkened house for the UPS guy.

The straight 8 as you can guess has a lot of value but as others have noted, only local value. Some guy in Florida may want it, but find it untoward to pay double the price to ship it to Florida. Much easier to get a non correct later straight 8.

Many Airflows had overdrive transmissions. If this is intact, there is a market for anything overdrive from the 30's so those cars can cruise effortlessly at modern highway speeds.

Finally, what is wrong with running an ebay auction and selling for what the market will bear? Why do you believe $4,000 is a low ball offer?

Don't come on a national antique car website, where most long time members are preservationists and say if you don't get a "fair" offer I'm going to part it out. Like you are threatening to destroy a part of something we find very valuable.

Just go part it out already and don't come on here and threaten to part out a deserving relic that we admire.

Do the RIGHT thing, and quit thinking about the almighty dollar, and sell it intact. Run a 10 day saturation auction - well presented and let the chips fall where they may.

I speak from experience. I have lost thousands of dollars transferring ownership of cars to others that hopefully restore or rod them.

When I have leftover parts, I make a killing off them usually - which means I could have parted out some of the old cars I owned and made more that way. But that's not the right thing to do.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest dfdarkknight

I am sorry about the lack of information. The vehicle is located in Los Angeles, the other owner wants to sell it a sa whole. i went to look at it yesturday, but I was dissapointed at what I saw. He had tried to restore it himself and in the process might have actually cause it more harm. It looks better now, but i noticed it was not as complete as i intended it to be. The seats are no longer there and now has custom seats that are not attached, just sitting on the frame. I will post new pictures. please look at new thread

Guest dfdarkknight

Also jake, I am sorry if i insulted anyone, I trust your advice which is why I am here. I am in the process of just letting ebay decide as a whole. I am very new to this so I do not know how things work around here.

I understand and apologize if I sounded harsh but we love old cars. If it's a parts car then no issues - as this one is sounding to be like a parts car more and more but there aren't a lot of these around, so parting should be a last option.

Ultimately we still live in America and if a person truly wants to part any car out they are entitled to.

Guest dfdarkknight

Well, i'm taking your advice and putting it up for people to bid on it. I'm just clueless as to how to do it. I like the fact that you can put a reserve on the car price so ebay wont charge you an arm an a leg if it doesnt sell.

Is the drive shaft in the car? That would quickly account for the no-go, and easily fixed, especially if you have it. Not to sound insultingly simplistic, I don't know anything about your car knowledge. It is the long shaft from the back of the transmission to the differential on the rear axle. With out that, it won't move, and it is easily removed so maybe it is with your parts.

I hope you can sell it as a whole unit. Good luck.

Jim43