Early 30's Accessory Trunk

Guest 40 Buick 51c

Guest 40 Buick 51c

I think this might be a potters trunk, but not sure. Have not seen one like it. I need to know what it fits and who made it. The rack folds down for inside and outside storage or you can pull the back of the trunk out (the rack becomes the rails for it) and creat a larger high sided storage.

Thanks in advance.

post-65465-143138158361_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138158364_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138158366_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138158369_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138158371_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138158373_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If your trunk IS a Potter, maybe this will be of some help; The 2 Potter Mfg. Co. trunks that I have owned both had attractive decals centered under the lid. The decal on the one I still have is oval shaped, 2 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch high. If you don't see one look closely, mine had been painted over but the outline was visible. By carefully rubbing a Q tip with lacquer thinner it came out and was even in fairly good condition.

As an aside, I believe that the real Bonnie and Clyde '34 Ford sedan death car had a Potter trunk.

I'd like to know more about my trunk too, does anyone have a Potter Mfg. Co. catalog?

Guest 40 Buick 51c

keiser31,

Thanks, will try to locat some pics of 32 Desotos

Dave,

Thanks, will check the inside. I didn't see one when I was taking the pics, but if it was painted over I may have missed it. Don't know if it helps but it does have a plywood bottom of the base.

Guest 40 Buick 51c

I agree, it does look a lot like it and it would make since that it would be for a car with fender mounted spares since it has the fold down rack on the back.

To me, your trunk looks larger and more rounded than ones for DeSotos or Plymouths, and suitable for a larger, more close-coupled car. If someone will post for you the picture on p.66 of Langworth and Norbye's book "The Complete Histroy of Chrysler" you will see what appears to be a "factory" photo of a '33 DeSoto from a 3/4 rear angle, showing a trunk on it with flat sides and chrome outlining them at the corners. Sorry I can't post the pic, tech troubles today. Anyway, if I am correct, your trunk would probably be of higher value.

• 1 month later...

Per Dave H. suggestion, I attached trunk pictured in "ID this Chrysler body" found elsewhere in this forum. There are too many detail differences to say it's anything like the "30's Accessory Trunk" in this post.

Our trunk in question seems to be more toward mid 30's just prior to trunk integration w/ body.

Subject trunk looks factory built vs. aftermkt. A notable detail (besides the expansion) is the lower valance with gas filler cutout (?) to flow with body line.

It's uncommon, I hope we figure it out.

post-44716-143138184071_thumb.jpg

post-44716-143138184104_thumb.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)

Can the front panel be lowered? I assume you would have pictured it that way if so, but I notice the vertical seams or joints near the front corners of the sides, and the objects that could be hinges at the bottom. With its 'fitted" base with gas filler access, it is apparent that it was made for permanent mounting and probably for a given model. The auxiliary rack is unique. It may have had fitted luggage., especially if the front drops. This one is special.

Guest 40 Buick 51c

drwatson, Thanks for the Pic of the Chrysler. I agree that the cutout is notable.

West Peterson, The valance cutout shape reminds me of a 34 Ford Sedan.

Dave Henderson, No, the front doesn't lower. Hadn't thought about fitted luggage, I was thinking maybe milk cans.

aacalifeer, Thanks will look forward to anything you can come up with.

All, In looking at this trunk and thinking about it, I think that whatever car it came from might have had the spare tire in a front fender wheel well. With this trunk in place there would be no place to put the spare on the back.

Lets try to whittle this down a bit. One aspect of this trunk that hasn't been brought up is the trunk's curving slope toward the vehicle's front.

Conclusion 1.): That curve would seem to be a clue to eliminate it being for a coupe.

Conclusion 2.): The use of add-on trunks of this sort for car designs (american) after 1934 models was nil. 1935 was the year cars with built-in trunks became widely available. Most likely it is for a pre-1935 automobile, ca. '32-'34, and I'm leaning toward '34.

Conclusion 3.): What body styles would have back ends that this trunk would snug up to, and accomodate such a deep trunk? Very possibly a close-coupled body style such as a club sedan or victoria 2 door would be suggested in my opinion.

Conclusion 4.): What vehicle would such a large elaborate and obviously expensive trunk be for? A large elaborate expensive make.

Conclusion 5.): The make it was made for had the gas filler on the side where the access cut-out is, eliminating those cars with fillers on the wrong side.

So there you have it from the peanut gallery. Hope this helps crack this one.

Guest 40 Buick 51c

drwatson, unfortunately the items in the background won't help. I got this trunk in with a barn full of parts that I bought. Most of the parts were Model A and early Ford V8. One of the frames I got with it was a 1935 Ford Right hand drive..... Wonder if it was for it and produced in another country.

Dave, I agree with your approach and would add that in the center of the luggage rack when it is in the up position there are two holes between the stainless trim pieces that look like they might have been the location for an emblem (not sure if you can see them in the pics)

One last surface that possibly could hold a clue: the underside. Have you looked there? Taken a picture? Of interest could be the mounting arrangement and dimentions, and any labels or markings that might exist there.

Regarding that '35 Ford frame for rhd, could the trunk have been on that car? Can you find any makers name or logo on the trunk's hardware that would indicate foreigh origin?

Guest 40 Buick 51c
One last surface that possibly could hold a clue: the underside. Have you looked there? Taken a picture? Of interest could be the mounting arrangement and dimentions, and any labels or markings that might exist there.

Regarding that '35 Ford frame for rhd, could the trunk have been on that car? Can you find any makers name or logo on the trunk's hardware that would indicate foreigh origin?

Dave, I have looked at the underside and could see no markings. Will try to take a picture of the bottom tomorrow when I'm over there and post it. Will also get some dimensions. As far as the 35 Ford goes, it could be for it but nothing to indicate it. I have the frame, the grill, the fenders, the dash, but no body.

• 8 months later...
Guest 40 Buick 51c

Really late getting these up. Got busy right after taking them. Still trying to figure out what this trunk is for. Nothing under the latches to give any clues

post-65465-143138362103_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138362106_thumb.jpg

post-65465-143138362108_thumb.jpg

post-65465-14313836211_thumb.jpg

In 1933, the integral (bustle-back) trunk was used only on the coach (2-door) models, and was called the Town Sedan. The 4-door sedan did not have the integral trunk in 1933; the trunk on the 4-door was offered as an option. A photo of a 1933 4-door with an accessory trunk is shown in the book "75 Years of Chevrolet".

In 1933, the integral (bustle-back) trunk was used only on the coach (2-door) models, and was called the Town Sedan. The 4-door sedan did not have the integral trunk in 1933; the trunk on the 4-door was offered as an option. A photo of a 1933 4-door with an accessory trunk is shown in the book "75 Years of Chevrolet".

You are right, point well taken. Do you suspect that the trunk was for a 33 Eagle roadster or coupe?

Guest 40 Buick 51c

I don't have access to 75 Years of Chevrolet can someone put up the referenced picture of the 33 Chevrolet with the accessory trunk.

Guest 40 Buick 51c

That certainly looks like it. Even has the emblem where mine has two holes. Anyone got any idea what one of these is worth. Thanks for all the help guys. Would have never guessed that it was a 1933 Chevrolet

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...