'57 Super 2DRHTP rebuild

Guest craigb

Well I have started my '57 Super rebuild and have a few questions for all you knowledgeble Buick enthusists. I have the motor and tranny out and the front fenders off and have sent the motor and tranny to the machinist. I'm very excited to have started this project. Anyway, may first question is Vintage Air vs. stock heater. The heater core looks heavy duty and probably heats the car very well. My restoration mechanic/ advisor, advised me to remove the stock heater core and replace with a Vintage Air unit that will both heat and cool the car. Is there a unit that will fit under the dash if I keep the stock heater? Does anyone have experience with a Vintage Air sytem and are you happy with its installment and performance?

Secondly, I have concerns about the Dynafow tranny. Does it have an overdrive? Is it a reliable tranny? Ideally I would like to swap it with a 700R4 or other updated tranny but that requires replacing the rearend; or at least changing to an open driveline. Has anyone changed to an open driveline without changing the rearend?

The intention of this car is not a show car but a daily driver. I want the car to be reliable and to have some comforts like A/C and a stereo. The car should be warm in our Arizona winters and cool in the summer.

The car was stored for several years in my dad's barn, in northern North Dakota. There is alot of surface rust beneath the car and some pitting of chrome in the interior. I have made the decision to remove the car from the frame and clean it up. I know this will be alot of work and have never done a frame of restoration by myself, but I think I can do it and I know I will be pleased to have done it when its finished. I have obtained a rotissorie and it should be sturdy enough for the Super, since a '58 chey was previoulsy mounted on it last year. Any words of advise for a frame of resto?

Your help and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Anyone know of some rear bumper ends?

Thanks,

Craig

'55 T-Bird

'90 Chevy pickup lowrider

Dirt modified stock car

'57 Super

'07 Dyna Lowrider

Dan,

You mean new bushings and shim when I place the body back on the frame?

Did you soda blast the body while on the rotissorie?

Craig

Yes, on the rubber bushings with the tubular spacers. I did measure each mount height and record the measurement before I lifted the body. This may have reduced the effort in shimming. (I made new shims and had them cad plated, I have some extras.) It did take quite some time to get it right, then I had to deviate from the original measurements on the front to make the doors fit and the convertible top fit.

It was about seven years ago when I had the body and other parts stripped. Then, we used plastic media where we could. The service then used silica sand for other parts where undercoat remained. He did quote me for plastic media only and his use of silica caused some problems, so the belly pan required more attention than would have been otherwise necessary. If you do blast, be there when it is done and allow no shortcuts to take place.

Attached is another photo for you.

These cars originally had red oxide primer for the belly pan with the firewall being body color.

Dan

post-54279-143138158149_thumb.jpg