Early Motorbus ID needed

Guest '58Ranchero

Guest '58Ranchero

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the make and model of this early motorbus, and the years they were built? I believe they were used to transport tourists in our area at one time. I'm a local history buff and any information you have about them would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

post-65793-14313815585_thumb.jpg

My vision is not the best on that pic size...but the radiator looks a bit like a mid teens to early 20s 'small' GMC. I forget the model number of the ones that had that radiator. The larger model 31, 41, etc, had cast iron rad tanks with vertical ribs, but the small GMC looked like the pic.

As I recall, the emblem may have been oval, but I am not sure. I can't even recall if GMC small trucks ever used aluminum hubcaps like that ! I only concentrated on the bigger trucks back in the 80s when I had one.

Looks like Gas headlight? That would be teens..

Not GMC! Before GMC had a nickeled radiator shell, the letters "GMC" were on the front of the shell. I think it is a 1925 Graham Brothers 17 passenger bus Model 140. The radiator emblem was a circle with a large GB in the center.

Frank

Looks like the picture may have been taken in California. The radiator emblem should provide a clue.

It says "FOLSOM SACRAMENTO" on the side. Looks like the Stage Stop in Sacramento.

Not GMC! Before GMC had a nickeled radiator shell, the letters "GMC" were on the front of the shell. I think it is a 1925 Graham Brothers 17 passenger bus Model 140. The radiator emblem was a circle with a large GB in the center.

Frank

Not so fast with the "not GMC ! " :)

53217900_pr.jpg

I've been trying to recall the model number of the teens small GMC with the painted sheetmetal radiator shell. I think a model 16. I have a good GMC book here someplace :confused:

Frank

Not so fast with the "not GMC" :)

53217900_pr.jpg

I've been trying to recall the model number of the teens small GMC with the painted sheetmetal radiator shell. I think a model 16. I have a good GMC book here someplace :confused:

Guest Gary Hearn

My thoughts:

* The bus looks like it has more of a "molded" cowl.

* The bus has 12 spoke wheels, the GMC 10.

* I do not see a light bar on the GMC.

* I do not see any louvers on the bus.

• 1 month later...
Guest '58Ranchero

Thank you everyone for your replies! I did some more research on the photo--my friend found it in a book that said it was taken in 1917. Can this be right? If so, do any of these models go back that far?

There is a Columbia Ambulance at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. It is a 1917 and is built on a GMC chassies. No script letters in the radiator.

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome | America's Original Living Museum of Antique Airplanes! - Columbia Ambulance - 1917

I took the transmission out of it seveal years ago and had to do some machining and fabricating to get the throw out bearing back together. Short of the cowl, it looks very similar. Dandy Dave!

I did a quick google search on Folsom Stage that I deduced from your original picture and came up with Folsum Stage Lines, it has been in service since back into the 1800's. Dependant upon how interested you truely are to know the history of the bus you might consider writting to the Folsom History Museum and ask what info they have on the Folsom Stage Lines, it still provides local service. The museum site says that they have additional information on the Stage Lines. Just a thought...