Numbers of 1932 Model 57 Convertible Coupe

Guest Dave_Neyens

Guest Dave_Neyens

Hi, wondering if anyone might know how many 1932 Blue Streak (2nd series) Model 57 Convertible Coupes were built and/or how many are still in existence? As I understand it, they are very rare today. Thank you

I think I may have the old Crestline series car book for Graham and Hudson in my shop. Most of the Crestline books give production numbers "if" they are known, at the time of printing.

I will try to find the book in a day or so..

I doubt anyone can say how many are left of any car of that age, as some are, and have been, tucked away for many decades and are not known to exist by the hobby.

One thing about that car is that it is at the peak of the "early depression era-Deco styling frenzy". Car companies went all out for 32 and 33 to try to dazzle the poor sales market...and the styling was amazing.

That car is right up there at the top as far as looks....and that conv coupe is a very desirable body style.

Well it was not the Hudson book... :o

It was the book next to it. Look at the car on the cover.:cool:

No individual production, but the Total number for ALL 32 Graham waqs 8001 cars.

I think 17th in sales position.... so it is very rare.

That book also said the 32 Graham was the "style leader" in 32.

post-59419-14313815636_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave_Neyens

Hi Graham Man,

Many thanks for your help regarding the numbers of known Model 57 Convertible Coupes in existence today!

Dave

• 1 month later...

The blue convertible is actually a two tone car. Fenders are one blue and the body a second blue. Nether color is original, but they look great! There is an Avon Blue (metallic color, actually fish scales) that has been lost to history, close to this color. Graham was the "official car" for Indianapolis 500 in 32. There were several comments about the Graham Convertible (Avon Blue) and how it was easy to find anywhere on the grounds because of the eye catching color. That is a big statement with the size of the race track.

I have done a lot of research over the past couple of years on the Avon blue and the fish scale process. I recently helped a restoration shop to restore a 32 Indy race car with the original fish scale finish. We did a lot of research and found original data sheets on how the finish was applied. It is less dramatic than modern pearles but a very unique, and amazing finish. The car was shown at a concours event in Fla. and one of the judges had seen it in 32 at the 500. He said that it was the most correct restoration of an original race car that he had seen, and it caused quite a stir at the event. When stripping the car, a small area of presumed original color was found and the car was painted possibly the Avon Blue. The search goes on to verify that Avon Blue.

• 1 year later...