WD: Job in Restoration

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

Looking for a full time position in automotive restoration field.

I am a senor going to McPherson College majoring in Automotive Restoration and Business Managment. I will be graduating in May of 2010.

Looking for a job in the Mid-West restoring Pre-World War II automobiles.

I have a résumés ready at your request. Please pm me for more information.

Thanks,

Austincar6

Just a few thoughts. Every year we receive several applications from soon to be graduates of McPherson and other restoration programs. Every resume from McPherson is virtually identical and it becomes obvious when reading them that the applicant in most cases is actually looking for someone to train (and pay) them for a period of time before they open their own restoration shop. It is generally not in a shop's best interest to train someone who intends to stay only a short time. We have hired McPherson grads in the past and have found them to be very conscientious and knowledgeable, especially considering the necessarily limited hands on experience available in any such program. Don't get me wrong, absolutely nothing wrong with opening your own shop. I am only suggesting that you tailor and personalize your resume a bit to distinguish it from all those other resumes. If your desire is to be a hands on restorer you might put less emphasis on your business management training and more on your eye/hand skills. What can you actually do or what do you have a talent for rather than a list of courses you have taken. Best of luck to you!

Guest austincar6

Restorer 32

I thank you for you helpful information. As for the resume, I have only put the auto classes taken. I have also added a list of some of the projects I have worked on.There are no business classes on there. If someone would like business class list, ask.

As for the student that work for some time and go open up there own shop. Well they are new generation of restores. You need to look at them as the next generation that will keep restoration industry going. Think of it as a residence. Your are a Dr. in this field. We are the young guys that know enough to be dangers. Some that have had internship may know more.

Yes it may take some of the market share, but a good shop should have years worth of work.

Thanks

Austincar6

Edited by austincar6 (see edit history)

So you are saying you are willing to work 24 or 36 hour shifts for little pay and no benefits to learn the trade like doctors do? I think you missed my point. I encourage you to open your own shop and wish you well. I was just trying to explain why some established shops may be a bit reluctant to hire you.

Guest bkazmer

This issue is not unique to restoration shops. Some places have a contract between the employee and the business which states the mutually-agreed upon value of the "apprenticeship" and the number of years over which the employee owes a prorata share if they leave on their own accord. If structured properly, it can be fair to both parties.

Hello austincar6, I am a graduate of the program Class of 1987. I am also one of the "conscientious and knowledgeable" (thank you) graduates who went to Restorer32's town, worked for 2 years and left, as did Tim Bowers who you may know locally. I did not open a shop though.

Thus I can see both viewpoints. The shop owner sees that a rookie craftsman, even a well trained one, will likely cost the shop lost hours and maybe mistakes for at least 6 months or a year, so you will not be turning the shop much profit for a while. Then after a year or two when you get good you leave and the shop's investment in your future potential is lost. Further, the McPherson graduate has moved to town just for the job and is likely to get homesick or have some other disillusionment that will make them more likely to leave than the local employee. My own history did not help our reputation in this regard.

But on the other hand, the same economics apply to the local guy too, and he does not have nearly your training or experience level, expecially if you know prewar cars. And I smiled at your creative "internship" argument, very clever (except that interns in other fields often work for free). Maybe you could explore offering to sign a contract with a time limit as mentioned above, that might be a good negotiating tool. Clean up your spelling and grammar errors and keep the resumes going, good luck! Todd C

Guest Gary Hearn

I would like a job too........ (then I could afford to restore some of my treasures). My resume is pretty unique too...

Here is a picture of me prior to running a 10K race trying to drum up employment. My full resume was on my back.

dressup_resume.JPG

The good news is I won $250 for my effort (but still no job).

Guest ChopShopCustoms

I am always open to reviewing resumes for new talented staff:

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES

here is where you can take a look at my info and even download an application if anyone is so inclined to want to make the move to Boston...

GOOD LUCK!

Hey Tim! Nice to hear from you. Just starting our 31st year doing this stuff, hoping to finally turn a profit this year. My Son is now in the business with me which gives me time to participate in these forums. Still see Al and Pearl now and then and they are doing well. Al still comes into the shop most days at 82 and irritates David and the help. I'm hoping to serve the same purpose with my Son in 20 years or so. I wasn't trying to disillusion Austincar6, just pointing out some of the realities of the business. I hope you are finding, like we have, that the rumors of the death of professional restoration are greatly exaggerated! Take care. Jeff

Guest austincar6

Restorer 32, The idea of open a shop right out of college is for someone with some money. There are not many shops that I know that were started out of college and are still going. Most die with in 2 years. Like most college student we have loan and very little money. So going in to business is not something that is not a good idea.

It may take a year or 5 to get some capital and pay off the loans. This also allows us to get some expedients. This is the reason why people are working for some amount of time and then open up a shop.

By the way there are times in restoration were late hour are need, maybe not 36 hours. :)

I am glad to see that some of you guys are getting re-equated.

Tim if you have a need for one more restorer. I would like to send you a résumé. Hope thing are going well for you.

Guest austincar6

Poci 1957

I have lived in the state of Kansas all my life. I’ve grow up near the town of Chapman, Ks. I would like to stay in the mid-west. KS would be the best so I would not have to move as far and I know more people here. Cost of living is reasonable. I am not saying that other states in the union are bad. I am just used to the pace of the mid-west.

For an area I would like to stay in KS, OK, MO, NE, CO, and TX. Now if someone as a great offer I could be convents to move out of the med-west.

As for area of restoration I like to do the mechanical, woodworking, electrical, and some upholstery. Most of these I can do well in. Body work is a drag and can be quit boring at time. Sand prime sand prime. I am able to do it. Metal working I do fairly well thanks to Tim.

The top would be mechanical and electrical.

Guest bkazmer

Austin, please take this in the helpful sense intended - this is a casual conversation forum, but if you rely on spell check like you just did on an employment correspondance you will send your resume straight into the trash. Spell check says if it's a word, not if it's the right word

Guest austincar6

English is not one of my better skills. I have come along ways. See when I was young, I had A.D.H.D. When I was in kindergarten I could not tail you the different between colors, unless you related it to something for example blue like the sky. Yes ADHD dose more that effaced someone ability to set still. You do not stay focus well on subjects that may not interest you.

Thankfully what ever thing in my head was not working right is now working. So English is the one thing that has not could up to where it should be. It funny I do well in most all other area of school. Everyone one has some form of weakness right.

For some reason English was it. It has and will be the thing that lack. I have try to take class and working with some of the people here a McPherson to try and fix it. It has not been easy. At this point Word seems to come up with word that may not be the right thing. I try to get them but the eye will read it as there right word and go on. I can talk a lot better that I car write. That for dang shore.

I have the resume looked over be for I started the job hunt.

Bkazmer this coment is for others. Your coment was fine.

Everyone that see that bad english try A. keep it to you self B. Be Nice if you are going to coment. Fixing English dose not happen over night.

thanks

Austincar6

Everyone that see that bad english try A. keep it to you self B. Be Nice if you are going to coment. Fixing English dose not happen over night.

thanks

Austincar6

Please understand, folks are trying to help you with something that if it is left as is will rule you out of most good jobs.

Just a question, is English your first language? You write as if it isn't.

Guest austincar6

I know most of the people on this form are good people. They car guys and gals.

About a year a go I have one person went over board. It was because I spelled fender with on i not an e. That was a just a wrong button I hit and did not see. That is the reason for the A.

I like this form. I know it is very useful and the people are knowledgeable. I try to help out when I can, With the "What is it?".

I have try to sale some thing on here to.

My first languish is English. I can read fine and talk great. I just don’t write to well. That why I am working on car, and not writing about them. Some day I may try and write something.

With all this typed, the idea was for me to try and find a job. I know the economy is not great but, I thought I would try AACA form to see if anyone is looking.

It looks like there more that one of us looking for a job. Let try and help Gary out to.

If you came to me for a job I would not even consider your problems with the English language. I would be far more interested in what you can do with your hands. I have several employees who have as much difficulty as you with the words but who are excellent and talented employees. Would I have them send a progress report to a customer? No. But I am proud of the work they do and I know they are also. Show a potential employer what you can do with your hands. If you are talented there is a place for you in restoration.

Guest bkazmer

I agree with Rest32 that your skills will be what eventually gets you a job or not. I have no problem understanding your posts here (although having to translate them is a bit off-putting). The issue on a resume is that a resume is supposed to introduce you and create a good enough impresson to get you to the next step. I'm going to put the next part harshly for emphasis - Language so full of errors (anything that went through spellcheck stayed in) says shoddy and sloppy on something important is OK to you. So (not "sew") your (not "you're") idea of having the resume reviewed is an excellent one (not "won").

I think I speak for many here to be glad to see someone with an interest in this area. It's a tough time to be looking for a job - best of luck in your search!

No one says you have to write you own resume'. If, by your own admission, you are not good at English and writing skills, have someone else write your resume' for you. As others have said, it is of utmost importance that your resume' be perfect - it is your first introduction to a possible employer.

BOB

Professionally written resume or not when a potential employee comes into my shop I have them sit at a desk and fill out at application. I want to see what I'm getting, warts and all. How long does it take them to fill out a simple application? Can they acomplish that task without stopping for a cigarette? Years ago I hired a fellow on the basis of a nicely written resume. Only found out several weeks later that he was, in reality, functionally illiterate and his wife had done the writing.

Guest bkazmer

We have a basic math and reading test that production applicants have to do while there for the same reason. The good resume is necessary but not sufficient.