Name that Frame!!! Help!!!

Guest oldstude

Guest oldstude

I got this a few years back out of a barn in AZ. It had a late 20's/early 30's Stude motor in it, but it clearly did not belong based on the motor mounts, etc. I need to know what I've got so I can decide what I want to do with it. The rear springs and axle were clearly not stock either, but the front looks original for sure. Please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think or point me in the direction of someone that might know. Thanks everyone!!!

post-58494-143138153384_thumb.jpg

post-58494-143138153388_thumb.jpg

post-58494-143138153392_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Get your rotary wire cup wheel and cleanup some of those steering parts, drag link, pitman arm, etc and try to find some part numbers. Most forgings will have a large number in raised numerals that will help ID whether it is Studebaker or other brand X.

On top of the rear frame cross member some Studebaker models had the chassis serial number stamped into the metal as a hidden theft recover identification number. The other item if it only had the rear axle installed would be measure the wheel base from axle C/L front to rear, that would indicate what model series it could be.

I would think that the front axle has a part number forged into it somewhere also.

Stude8

Guest stude8

Just browsed the 1916 Studebaker catalog pages I have scanned and the image of the 1916 4-Forty / 6-Fifty chassis end and king pin looks to be a dead ringer for the one on your chassis. Take a look at the attached file. Stude8

post-31139-143138153506_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

OK, one more, a 1914 Big 6 Studebaker front view. The chassis looks pretty close to what you have, too bad you don't have the body for it!

Stude8

post-31139-143138153509_thumb.jpg